|Municipality of Saraj
Komuna e Sarajit
|Region||Skopje Statistical Region|
|• Mayor||Bekim Murati (DUI)|
|• Total||229.06 km2 (88.44 sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
- Saraj, which means "palace" in Turkish, is also the name of the village where the municipal seat is found.
- It is a rural municipality and it is not part of Skopje proper.
- Jegunovce Municipality to the northwest,
- Želino Municipality to the southwest,
- Sopište Municipality to the south,
- Karpoš Municipality and Gjorče Petrov Municipality to the east, and
- Kosovo to the north.
According to the last national census from 2002, Saraj has 35,408 inhabitants.
Ethnic groups in the municipality include:
- Albanians = 32,408 (91.5%)
- Macedonians = 1,377 (3.9%)
- Bosniaks = 1,120 (3.2%)
- 2002 census results in English and Macedonian (PDF)
- Komuna e Sarajit binjakëzim me komunën turke Uskudar Archived 2012-06-04 at the Wayback Machine., INA, 2012-06-01 (in Albanian)