Russo at the 2010 IPC Swimming World Championships, where he won a bronze medal in the 100m backstroke
|Full name||Sean Russo|
5 April 1991 |
Sydney, New South Wales
|Classifications||S13, SB13, SM13|
Russo was born on 5 April 1991 and has retinitis pigmentosa. As a child, he also had asthma. He resides in Revesby, New South Wales. In 2017, he is currently completing a Certificate III and Certificate IV of Dental Assisting.
Russo is an S13 classified swimmer. He started competing in swimming in 1995 as a result of asthma. He made his national team debut in 2010 at the IPC Swimming World Championships, competing in the 100m backstroke where he earned a bronze medal. At the event, he also set Australian records in the 100m freestyle and 100m butterfly events.
He was a member of the Australian team competing at the Dutch hosted 2011 IPC World Swimming Championships. Finishing with a personal best time of 1:02.52 in the men's 100m backstroke, he earned a silver medal.
At the 2012 Australian national championships, he finished first in the men's 50m backstroke multi-disability event. He was selected to represent Australia at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in swimming in seven events: the Men's 100 m Backstroke S13, 100 m Breaststroke SB13, 100 m Butterfly S13, 100 m Freestyle S13, 200 m Individual Medley SM13, 400 m Freestyle S13 and 50 m Freestyle S13. He set an Oceania Record in the 100 m Backstroke S13.
At the 2015 IPC Swimming World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland, he won a bronze medal in Men's 100 m Backstroke S13. He finished fifth in the Men's 100m Breaststroke SB13, seventh in the Men's 200m Individual Medley SM13 and ninth in the Men's 400m Freestyle S13.
Russo competed at the 2016 Rio Paralympics and competed in six events. He placed seventh in Men's 100m Breaststroke SB13, fifth in the Men's 100m Backstroke S13 and sixth in Men's 200m Individual Medley SM13. He also competed in Men's 50m Freestyle S13, Men's 100m Freestyle S13 and Men's 100m Butterfly S13 but didn't progress to the finals.
- "Swimming Australia Paralympic Squad Announcement". Swimming Australia News. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Sean Russo". Australia: Australian Paralympic Committee. 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- Buckley, Danielle. "Revesby's Russo swimming for gold at 2016 Paralympics in Rio". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Cowdrey, Leek finish with world records". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 2010-08-21. Retrieved 2012-08-14.
- "Paralympic swim team revealed". Australian Paralympic Committee. 10 July 2012. Archived from the original on 11 July 2012. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Australian Swimming Coaches and Teachers Association". Australian Swimming Coaches and Teachers Association. Archived from the original on 2 January 2013. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Cowdrey leads Paralympic swim team - ABC Grandstand Sport - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- Results for Sean Russo from the International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Oceanian Records". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Aussies add two silver and two bronze on Day 3 in Glasgow". Swimming Australia News, 16 July 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Sean Russo results". Glasgow 2015 IPC Swimming World Championships. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "2015 swimming scholarships" (PDF). New South Wales Institute of Sport. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Sean Russo". Rio Paralympics Official Results. Rio 2016 Paralympics. Retrieved 23 October 2016.