Shire of Buloke
|Buloke Shire Council
Location in Victoria
|• Density||0.75225/km2 (1.94832/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||20 January 1995|
|Area||8,004 km2 (3,090.4 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr David Pollard|
|Website||Buloke Shire Council|
The Shire of Buloke is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the western part of the state. It covers an area of 8,004 square kilometres (3,090 sq mi) and, at the 2016 Census, had a population of 6,021. It includes the towns of Birchip, Charlton, Donald, Sea Lake and Wycheproof. It was formed in 1995 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Wycheproof, Shire of Birchip, Shire of Charlton, Shire of Donald, and parts of the Shire of Kara Kara.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Buloke Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the Council headquarters in Wycheproof, it also has service centres located in Birchip, Charlton, Donald and Sea Lake. The Shire is named after a major geographical feature in the region, Lake Buloke, which is located in the south of the LGA; the name also comes from the "buloke" or "bulloak" tree Allocasuarina luehmannii, which is common in the region.
The Council is composed of three wards and seven Councillors, with three Councillors elected to represent the Mount Jeffcott Ward and two Councillors per remaining ward elected to represent each of the other wards.
|Lower Avoca||John Shaw|
|David Pollard||(Mayor 2017-18)|
|Mount Jeffcott||Graeme Milne|
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Wycheproof Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at its administrative centre in Wycheproof.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2014–15". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S4 of 1995". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 20 January 1995). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Census QuickStats (2011). "Buloke (S) – LGA21270". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Buloke Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Buloke Shire Council official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps
|This Australian government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|