Siege of Baniyas
|Siege of Baniyas|
|Part of the Civil uprising phase of the Syrian civil war|
|Planned by||Gen. Fo’ad Hamoudeh |
Gen. Ramadan Ramadan
Gen. Ghassan Afif
|Date||7–14 May 2011|
|Executed by|| Syrian Army |
|Casualties||10 protestors killed |
1-6 soldiers killed
On 7 May 2011, during the Civil uprising phase of the Syrian civil war, the Syrian military launched an operation in the Syrian city of Baniyas. The government said it was targeting terrorist groups, while the Syrian opposition called it a crackdown against pro-democracy protesters. The operation lasted until 14 May 2011.
During 9 April, unknown gunmen shot at a military bus traveling through Baniyas killing nine soldiers.
On 10 April, protests were held in Baniyas in which violent clashes erupted between the security forces and protesters. Between three and six were reportedly shot dead, while one police officer was reportedly killed by unknown gunmen.
On 14 April, snipers killed a Syrian Army soldier in Baniyas.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2012)
On 7 May, following the successful operation against protestors in Daraa, Syrian Army units enter Baniyas from three directions. They advanced into Sunni districts of the multi-ethnic town. Heavy gunfire was reported as the operation started.
The next day, some 30 tanks were seen patrolling the city, with some of them positioned in the city center. Syrian Navy boats were also reportedly holding positions near the city's coastline. Special forces units allegedly entered the northern part of the city, from where heavy gunfire was heard.
On 14 May, the military started to pull out of the city, after their operation ended.
- Human Rights Watch
- "In unending turmoil, Syria's Assad turns to family". The Guardian. London. 23 January 2008.
- "SYRIA: At least 10 killed, 250 detained in Baniyas". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian forces use soccer stadiums as prisons, human rights groups say". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Syrian forces arrest dozens of protesters in Baniyas, Homs[dead link]
- "Syria unrest: Shooting erupts in seaport of Baniyas". BBC News. 10 April 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
- "Snipers kill soldier in Baniyas - Syrian state news agency". Archived from the original on 29 August 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian army storms Banias Sunni districts: rights source". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian tanks enter 'protest hub' Baniyas". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syria army 'pulls back' from Baniyas and Deraa". BBC News. 14 May 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2011.