Stay (David Bowie song)
|Single by David Bowie|
|from the album Station to Station|
|B-side||"Word on a Wing"|
|Recorded||September – November 1975 at Cherokee Studios (Los Angeles)|
|David Bowie singles chronology|
"Stay" is a song written and recorded by David Bowie in 1975 for the album Station to Station, released in January the following year. It was based on the funky guitar lick that dominates the track and which was invented by guitarist Earl Slick during the sessions for the album. In July 1976, the song was released as a single by RCA in the United States.
- "Stay" (Bowie) – 3:21
- "Word on a Wing" (Bowie) – 3:10
- A live version recorded on an Isolar Tour concert at Nassau Coliseum, Long Island on 23 March 1976 was first released as a bonus track on the 1991 Rykodisc CD release of Station to Station. The same performance was included on the album Live Nassau Coliseum '76, which was released as part of the 2010 reissues of the Station to Station album, in the 2016 collection Who Can I Be Now? (1974–1976), and as a stand–alone album in 2017.
- A concert performance recorded in spring 1978 during the Isolar II Tour was included on the 2005 and 2017 expanded reissues of the live album Stage. A summer 1978 performance from the same tour was released on the live album Welcome to the Blackout in 2018.
- Bowie's 25 June 2000 performance of the song at the Glastonbury Festival was released in 2018 on Glastonbury 2000.
- A live recording made at the BBC Radio Theatre, London, England on 27 June 2000 was released on the bonus disc accompanying the first releases of Bowie at the Beeb.
- It was released as the B-side of "Suffragette City" in July 1976.
- The single version appeared on the Christiane F. soundtrack (1981). It is also included on Re:Call 2, part of the Who Can I Be Now? (1974–1976) boxed set (2016).
- Ava Cherry – 3" CD single
- Mojica, Frank (4 October 2010). "David Bowie – Station to Station [Special Edition]". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Pegg 2011, p. 239.
- Pegg 2011, p. 240.
- "David Bowie / Remastered 'Berlin' albums available separately next month". superdeluxeedition.com. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 4 March 2018.