Sun Li (actress)
|Alma mater||Shanghai Oriental Culture College|
Deng Chao (m. 2010)
Sun Li (Chinese: 孙俪, born 26 September 1982), also known as Susan Sun,[note 1] is a Chinese actress. She is hailed by critics and netizens as China's "Queen of Television". In 2018, she became the youngest Chinese actress to win the "Grand Slam", after winning the three biggest awards, the Flying Apsaras Awards, Golden Eagle Awards and the Magnolia Awards.
Sun first entered show business by participating in 2001's Star Search, held by Singapore's MediaCorp. She reached the finals and earned the praise of judge Andy Lau. Following the competition, Sun joined Hairun Media as their first flagship artist.
In 2003, author and TV producer Hai Yan selected her for the female lead in the television series Goddess of Mercy. Sun received overwhelmingly positive feedback from audiences for her portrayal of An Xin, and rose to fame in China as one of the most promising young actresses. In an interview with Global Times, Sun thanked Ding Hei, the director of Goddess of Mercy saying; "Not only because he provided me with [the role of] An Xin, but what's more, he believed in me, a person who never received any formal acting lessons. ... It benefited me all my life."
In 2006, Sun won the Best Newcomer award at the 28th Hundred Flowers Awards for her performance in Huo Yuanjia co-starring Jet Li. She then starred alongside Huang Xiaoming in Shanghai Bund (2007), a mainland remake of the 1980 television series The Bund.
Sun starred in Gordon Chan's horror-adventure film Painted Skin (2008), and was nominated for the Best Supporting Actress award for her performance as a young and inexperienced demon hunter at numerous award ceremonies. The same year, she starred in Gao Xixi's military-romance drama Tian Mi Mi. The series was chosen by the Chinese Radio & Television Association as one of the Top Ten television series of the year.
Sun then starred in Iron Road (2009), the second joint venture created under Canada/China co-production treaty established in the 1960s. She plays a poor Chinese girl in search of her father who works at a railroad in North America, and challenged speaking in English for the film. For her performance, Sun was crowned Best Actress at the 2nd Roma FictionFest and the 25th Gemini Awards. The same year, Sun played the title character in the television series, Auntie Duohe, based on the novel of the same name by acclaimed writer Geling Yan.
Sun gained widespread recognition by playing Zhen Huan in the critically acclaimed historical drama, Empresses in the Palace. She was nominated for an International Emmy Award in the Best Actress category for her role. Praised for being one of the best historical dramas in China, the series garnered high ratings throughout its run and also sparked trends in dialogue quotes and plastic surgery. The same year, she reunited with Painted Skin director Gordan Chan in Mural (also known as Painted Skin 2). She also starred in martial arts film The Lost Bladesman alongside Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen.
For her role as an independent mother in Hot Mom! (2013), Sun won the Best Actress award at the 20th Shanghai Television Festival. She also won the Most Popular Actress award at the 10th China Golden Eagle TV Arts Festival.
In 2015, Sun played Queen Dowager Xuan, the first stateswoman in China, in historical drama The Legend of Mi Yue. The series was a commercial success, and recorded the highest ratings of the year. Sun won her second Best Actress trophy at the 22nd Shanghai Television Festival. The same year, Sun challenged her first comedy role in Devil and Angel, directed by her husband Deng Chao.
In 2017, Sun played the titular character in the period drama Nothing Gold Can Stay, based off a real-life story of Zhou Ying, a budding businesswoman who takes on the responsibilities from her dead husband and starts rebuilding their business empire from scratch. For her performance in the role, Sun was awarded the Outstanding Actress award at the Flying Apsaras Awards.
In 2019, Sun was cast in the drama Your Home Is My Business as a star property agent.
Sun and actor Deng Chao registered their marriage in 2010 and held an official wedding ceremony in 2011 when she was five months pregnant. They have two children, a son named Deng Han Zhi (born in November 2011) and a daughter named Deng Han Yi (born in May 2014).
Sun expressed her stand against animal cruelty by appearing in PETA Asia’s anti-fur ad in 2010.
|2006||Fearless||Yue Ci (Moon)|
|2008||Painted Skin||Xia Bing|
|2009||Iron Road||Little Tiger|
|Kung Fu Cyborg||Zhou Shumei|||
|2010||Just Another Pandora's Box||Rose|||
|2011||The Lost Bladesman||Qilan|
|2014||Just Another Margin||Jin Ling|||
|The Breakup Guru||Herself||Cameo|
|2015||Devil and Angel||Zha Xiaodao|
|2001||Romance in the Rain||Dancer|
|2003||Goddess of Mercy||An Xin|
|Yi Shuang Xiu Hua Xie||Lin Ying|||
|2004||A Ray of Sunshine||Yi Aiyuan/Yi Chuanxia|||
|Hong Fen Shi Jia||Yao Zhi|||
|Crimson Romance||Zhou Xiaobai|||
|2005||Feng Yu Xi Guan||Xie Tianhui|||
|Days and a Bureau||Zhu Wanqiu|||
|Happiness as Flowers||Du Juan|||
|Emerald on the Roof||Mo Jiaqi|||
|2007||Shanghai Bund||Feng Chengcheng|
|Yi Shi Qing Yuan||Ji Wen|||
|2008||Tian Mi Mi||Ye Qing|||
|2009||Auntie Duohe||Duo He|
|2011||The Legend of Zhen Huan||Zhen Huan|
|2013||Hot Mom!||Xia Bing|
|2015||The Legend of Mi Yue||Mi Yue|
|2017||Nothing Gold Can Stay||Zhou Ying|
|2019||Your Home Is My Business||Fang Sijin|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Language||Notes|
|2006||Love is like the Air||爱如空气||Mandarin|||
|2008||A Little Dream||小小的梦想|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Album||Notes|
|2003||"Happier Than Me"||比我幸福||Goddess of Mercy OST|
|2006||"Even If There is No Tomorrow"||就算没有明天||Shanghai Bund OST||with Huang Xiaoming|
|2007||"The Moon Represents My Heart"||月亮代表我的心||Tian Mi Mi OST||with Deng Chao|
|2009||"Memory"||记忆||Kungfu Cyborg OST||with Alex Fong|
|2010||"Slowly Be Happy"||慢慢快乐||N/A||with Mo Yan Lin|
|2011||"Mural"||画壁||Mural OST||with Deng Chao|
|2013||"A Stable Happiness"||稳稳的幸福||Hot Mom OST||with Zhang Yi|
|"How Can You Bear to Hurt Me"||你怎么舍得伤害我||N/A||Charity song; with Gigi Leung & Valen Hsu|
|2017||"Can't Forget"||忘不掉||Nothing Gold Can Stay OST|
Awards and nominations
- There was earlier misreporting in US of her name as Betty, corrected by several news agencies in China, such as News.cn, HaiBao & Baidu
- "Chinese actress Sun Li: Feisty on screen, nervous off screen". The Straits Times. March 21, 2016.
- "Sun Li wins Best Actress at Feitian Awards". Yahoo. April 10, 2018.
- "《玉观音》女主角出炉 新人孙俪揭开神秘面纱". Sina (in Chinese). November 21, 2001.
- "Here comes Sun Li". The Global Times. October 29, 2013.
- "气质清纯 孙俪电影处女作《霍元甲》". China.com (in Chinese). February 23, 2005.
- "最佳新人孙俪发表获奖感言 感谢经纪人与李连杰". Sina (in Chinese). October 28, 2006.
- "《上海滩》主演敲定 黄晓明孙俪演许文强冯程程". Sina (in Chinese). January 13, 2006.
- "Sun Li-'Painted Skin'". China Radio International. October 13, 2009.
- "Sun Li Leads Iron Road Production". China.org.cn. June 4, 2007.
- "Sun Li crowned best actress in Roma Fiction Fest". China.org.cn. July 25, 2008.
- "Sun Li named best actress at Canadian TV Awards". China.org.cn. November 18, 2010.
- "《小姨多鹤》讲述温情命运故事 孙俪姜武演绎". Sina (in Chinese). January 8, 2010.
- "Sun Li receives first Emmy nomination". China Daily. October 9, 2013.
- "Top 10 Chinese entertainment events in 2012 (7)". People's Daily. December 21, 2012.
- "Eyeing 'Zhen Huan'". The Global Times. January 30, 2013.
- "First Peek of Love Birds Deng and Sun in "Painted Skin 2"". China Radio International. May 5, 2011.
- "Sun Li in 'The Lost Bladesman'". China Daily. January 20, 2011.
- "《辣妈正传》孙俪接地气：我变了很多". Sina (in Chinese). September 17, 2013.
- "Magnolia Awards announced at 20th Shanghai TV Fest". CCTV. June 15, 2014.
- "10th China Golden Eagle TV Art Festival concludes". China Daily. October 13, 2014.
- "《芈月传》孙俪造型海报首曝光 定于9月6日开机". ifeng (in Chinese). August 21, 2014.
- He, Huifeng (December 3, 2015). "Legend of Miyue smashes online video viewing record in China with 700 million hits in 24 hours as country sees industry take off". South China Morning Post.
- "Hu Ge, Sun Li win Magnolia Award for Best TV Series". Sina. June 11, 2016.
- "专访《恶棍天使》孙俪：邓超释放了我的天性（全文）". Netease (in Chinese). December 25, 2015.
- "Betty Sun Li nearly rejected "Nothing Gold Can Stay"". Yahoo. September 6, 2017.
- "孙俪变身女首富 情牵《那年花开月正圆》". Sina (in Chinese). July 3, 2016.
- "31st Flying Apsaras Awards concludes in Ningbo". China Daily. April 4, 2018.
- "Zhang Yimou Explores New Ideas in 'Shadow'". Variety. September 25, 2018.
- "《卖房子的人》上海开机 孙俪罗晋变身房产中介". ifeng (in Chinese). April 27, 2019.
- "Sun Li and Deng Chao hold party for their daughter". Sina. August 21, 2014.
- "Sun Li Wears Wings to Fight Fur". PETA. February 11, 2010.
- "孙俪为《机器侠》泣不成声 刘镇伟感动连叫好". Mtime (in Chinese). July 2, 2009.
- "《越光宝盒》杀青 孙俪有点癫郑中基很贱". Mtime (in Chinese). August 20, 2009.
- ""大话天仙"曝剧照 郑伊健孙俪演绎新版武松潘金莲". Mtime (in Chinese). January 17, 2014.
- "杨幂加盟邓超导演"分手大师" 10月开拍孙俪客串". Mtime (in Chinese). September 11, 2013.
- "孙俪：穿《一双绣花鞋》来宁". Sina (in Chinese). September 14, 2003.
- "孙俪：《一米阳光》中的双面夏娃". Netease (in Chinese). November 5, 2003.
- "佟大为孙俪走进《红粉世家》". Sina (in Chinese). September 16, 2004.
- "<血色浪漫>收视火爆 孙俪：爱坏男人过苦日子". Netease (in Chinese). July 1, 2005.
- "孙俪《风雨西关》扮野蛮 难博高云翔赞许". Sina (in Chinese). December 9, 2004.
- "刘烨孙俪再度牵手《天和局》". Sina (in Chinese). December 3, 2004.
- "谈《幸福像花儿一样》 孙俪：当傻大姐幸福像花". Sina (in Chinese). October 9, 2005.
- "孙俪霍建华《屋顶上的绿宝石》7月清凉登场". Sina (in Chinese). July 1, 2007.
- "孙俪《一世情缘》中"嫌贫爱富"耍心机(图)". Sina (in Chinese). September 4, 2008.
- "孙俪畅谈《甜蜜蜜》 叶青儿本质上是幸福的". Sina (in Chinese). December 20, 2008.
- "孙俪推出首张单曲《爱如空气》". Netease (in Chinese). January 15, 2006.
- "第二十二届中国电视金鹰奖". CTAATV (in Chinese). September 14, 2012.
- "孙俪喜获香港电影导演协会新人奖". Sina (in Chinese). March 17, 2007.
- "2012電影節、電視節獲獎名單". MITF (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "安徽国剧盛典落幕 张嘉译孙俪分获视帝后". Sina (in Chinese). January 1, 2013.
- "第四届亚洲电视彩虹奖落户马来西亚 孙俪曾获奖". Sina (in Chinese). May 17, 2017.
- "第24届上海电视节白玉兰奖中国电视剧单元入围名单公布". People's Daily (in Chinese). May 24, 2018.
- "第29届中国电视金鹰奖提名演员名单出炉". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). October 9, 2018.
- "金马奖提名公布张艺谋《影》领跑". Mtime (in Chinese). October 1, 2018.