First look poster
|Directed by||A. L. Vijay|
|Produced by||Vishnu Vardhan Induri|
Shailesh R. Singh
|Written by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
|Music by||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
Karma Media And Entertainment
|Distributed by||Yash Raj Films|
Thalaivi (transl. Matriarch) is an upcoming 2020 Indian biographical film directed by A. L. Vijay and produced by Vishnu Vardhan Induri and Shailesh R Singh under their respective banners Vibri Media and Karma Media And Entertainment. The story is about the life of J. Jayalalithaa, late politician and film actress who served as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, with Kangana Ranaut playing the role of Jayalalithaa. Principal photography began on 23 November 2019 and the film will be theatrically released in India on 26 June 2020.
- Kangana Ranaut as J. Jayalalithaa
- Arvind Swami as M. G. Ramachandran
- Priyamani as V. K. Sasikala
- Prakash Raj as M. Karunanidhi
- Jisshu Sengupta as Shobhan Babu
The film was officially announced on 24 February 2019, on the occasion of Jayalalithaa's birthday, with Kangana Ranaut playing the role of Jayalalithaa. Arvind Swami plays the role of M. G. Ramachandran in the film. The first look and the teaser was released on 23 November 2019, and the principal photography was commenced on the very same day. This film will be made simultaneously in Telugu, Hindi and Tamil.
The film will be released simultaneously in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu on 26 June 2020.
- "THALAIVI FIRST LOOK: Kangana Ranaut transforms herself into late Jayalalithaa, film to release on June 26, 2020". Bollywood Hungama. 23 November 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Watch 'Thalaivi' teaser: Kangana Ranaut impresses with her first look as late Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa in upcoming biopic". The Times of India. 23 November 2019. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Priyamani to play Sasikala in Kangana Ranaut's 'Thalaivi'? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Adivi, Sashidhar (23 November 2019). "MGR and Karunanidhi were good friends initially: AL Vijay". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 17 December 2019.