Tiffany in 2015
|Born||Stephanie Young Hwang
August 1, 1989
San Francisco, California, United States
|Other names||Hwang Mi-young|
|Revised Romanization||Hwang Mi-yeong|
Stephanie Young Hwang (born August 1, 1989), known professionally as Tiffany or Tiffany Hwang, is an American singer and actress based in South Korea. She is a member of South Korean girl group Girls' Generation and its subgroup TTS.
Stephanie Young Hwang was born in San Francisco, California. She grew up in Diamond Bar, California, attending South Pointe Middle School and Diamond Bar High School; she graduated from Korea Kent Foreign School in Seoul. She was invited to audition at the SM Entertainment Starlight Casting System, where she auditioned with Christina Aguilera's song "The Voice Within", and joined the company on October 2004 in Los Angeles at age 15.
Girls' Generation is a South Korean girl group formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2007. The group originally consisted of nine members: Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun.
In 2013, Taeyeon and Tiffany had a duet called "Lost In Love" on the group's fourth Korean album I Got a Boy. During July of the same year, Taeyeon, Tiffany and Sunny attended Korea Day at the Dodgers Stadium in L.A., singing the national anthems of both Korea and US as well as pitching the first ball.
Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun formed a subgroup called TTS in 2012, releasing their first mini-album titled Twinkle during the same year. In 2014, they released their second mini-album titled Holler. For this release, Tiffany took an active role and served as the visual director to the overall album image and the concept of the title track's music video. The subgroup has a different musical direction and style concept from Girls' Generation, placing their focus on each member's vocal ability while the latter group emphasizes the songs and uniform group performances.
Over the life of her career, Tiffany has released several songs for various television dramas and movies. A few of them are solos, while others are collaborations with fellow Girls' Generation members and other artists. Her solos include "By Myself" for the SBS's drama Princess Ja Myung Go, "Because It's You" for the KBS2's Love Rain, and "One Step Closer" for the SBS's All About My Romance. "One Step Closer" is a ballad with dramatic melody arrangements and lyrics that include lines such as "Because I can hold you again" and "I want us to walk one step at a time, together".
Her collaborations include "Oppa Nappa" and "It's Fantastic" with fellow Girls' Generation members Jessica and Seohyun, "A Girl, Meets Love" with K.Will, "Oh! My Love to You" with bandmate Sooyoung and The Blue, and "Rise and Shine" with Super Junior's Kyuhyun for the SBS's To The Beautiful You.
Acting and television career
From 2007-2008, Tiffany appeared as the host of Mnet's Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo, along with Kim Hyesung. In 2009, she, along with fellow Girls' Generation member Yuri, became an MC for the MBC's music show Music Core. They left the show in July 2010 to focus on Girls’ Generation's debut in Japan, but came back in October 2011. Yuri, however, left the show again in January 2012 and Tiffany started co-hosting alongside two other Girls' Generation members, Taeyeon and Seohyun, until April 2013. They gave their farewell to the show by performing TTS's "Goodbye, Hello" as a special stage.
Tiffany was also the occasional co-host to several awards programs such as 2009 Incheon Korean Music Wave, 2010 Incheon Korean Music Wave, 2010 SBS Gayo Daejeon Award Ceremony, 50th Anniversary Music Wave Concert, 2011 Incheon Korean Music Wave, K-Pop All Star Live in Niigata, 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok, K-Pop Festival in Vietnam, 2013 Incheon Korean Music Wave, and most recently the 2014 Korean Music Wave in Beijing.
From November 25, 2011 to January 29, 2012, Hwang played Carmen Diaz, a performing arts student with dreams of becoming famous, in the musical Fame along with Eunhyuk of Super Junior, Son Ho Young, Lina of The Grace, and Kim Jung Mo of TRAX.
In September 2013, Tiffany participated in the SBS's variety show Fashion King Korea along with Sistar's Bora, Brown Eyes's Yoon Gun, Lee Ji-hoon, Kim Na Young, Boom, Lim Dong Wook and Choo Mi Rim. The show premiered on November 17. She and her partner Ji Il-geun were eliminated on January 25, 2014, ending up in 3rd place.
The TaeTiSeo, a reality documentary featuring Tiffany and her fellow Girls' Generation bandmates Taeyeon and Seohyun, premiered on August 26, 2014 and consisted of 8 episodes. The show took on a more close-up and personal side of the three singers, revealing how they live their normal everyday lives and what they do in their free time. Tiffany, when expressing TTS's effort in putting layers and harmonization into their songs, stated "I don't think people are aware of how many 'layers' we put into our songs... We care about visual performance a lot, but I want to hear people say, 'Wow they can sing really well.'"
Tiffany is the youngest of three siblings. Her older sister studied anthropology at Berkeley. For much of her early career when approached with the topic of mothers or family, Tiffany would often refer to her father or both parents; on a radio broadcast she stated that she missed her mother who was far away and she had not seen her in some time. However, in late 2009 she said for the first time in public that her mother had already died. She later said that her mother had died two years before she herself became a trainee, and that she was somewhat distant with her father, all of her immediate family living overseas. In August 2009 Tiffany was absent from a group filming in order to fly to the US and attend the funeral of her grandfather.
In 2008, Tiffany was diagnosed with vocal nodules, wherein a mass of tissue grows on the vocal folds due to strain or overuse. The condition gave her dysphonia, causing a hoarseness in her voice as well as affecting the range of her singing voice. After receiving treatment her voice returned to normal, but the condition began affecting her voice even more drastically throughout the latter half of 2009, causing her to take a break from activities to receive hospital treatment in September. She also experienced difficulties due to the disorder mid-2010, a company representative stating she would be taking a short hiatus while she was hospitalized again. While treatment has been successful, Tiffany has stated that her current voice is different from her voice previous to contracting vocal nodules, although it is not necessarily something she views as a bad thing.
Throughout her career Tiffany has suffered several injuries requiring medical attention. She fell after a performance of "Gee", injuring her left ankle, which was put in a cast. Tiffany continued to perform with the group, albeit either sitting or standing to the side. Tiffany also suffered a wrist injury while filming for Let's Go Dream Team! in early 2010 and was seen wearing a cast while continuing activities. In August 2010, Tiffany suffered an injury to her right ankle after taking a fall during the SMTown Live '10 World Tour in Seoul. Although not a serious injury, she was put in a cast in order to make sure she would be healed enough to perform at Girls' Generation's upcoming Japanese showcase. She suffered a more severe fall two months later during another performance, injuring her posterior cruciate ligament. Due to this, she was withdrawn from the group's promotions of "Hoot", her absence from the spotlight lasting almost a month until she returned to join her fellow group-mates activities in Japan. The issue of Tiffany's return after injury was a topic of great interest within both the Korean and Japanese media.
|"Touch the Sky"||2007||Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son OST||Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny|
|"Oppa Nappa"||2008||Emotional Bandaid||Jessica and Seohyun|
|"It's Fantastic"||Mabinogi||Jessica and Seohyun|
|"Holding Hands"||None||Jessica, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun, T.G.U.S|
|"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||Hong Gildong soundtrack||Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny|
|"Secret"||The Secret, Between Us||Narrator of Kim Dong-wan's song|
|"By Myself"||2009||Princess Ja Myung Go OST||None|
|"A Girl, Meets Love"||Dropping the Tears||K.Will|
|"Feeling Only You" (너만을 느끼며)||The First Memories||Sooyoung and The Blue|
|"Motion"||Heading to the Ground OST||Taeyeon, Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny|
|"Cabi Song"||None||Jessica, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, Taecyeon|
|"Cooky"||Jessica, Seohyun, Sunny|
|"Haechi Song" (해치송)||My Friend Haechi soundtrack||Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Seohyun|
|"Because It's You"||2012||Love Rain OST||None|
|"Rise and Shine"||To the Beautiful You OST||Kyuhyun|
|"One Step Closer"||2013||All About My Romance||None|
|"You Are A Miracle"||SBS Gayo Daejun: Friendship Project||Various artists|
|"Cheap Creeper"||2014||Make Your Move||With Jessica, Taeyeon, Sunny, Seohyun|
|"Talk About Love"||W Foundation Campaign||Various artists|
|"Good Life"||Final Recipe soundtrack||Henry Lau|
|"Only One"||2015||Blood OST||None|
|"QnA"||QnA single||Han Heejun|
|I AM.||2012||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|My Brilliant Life||2014||Herself||Cameo appearance|
|SMTown The Stage||2015||Herself||Documentary film of SM Town |
|Unstoppable Marriage||2008||KBS2||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo appearance|
|The Producers||2015||KBS||Herself||Cameo appearance|
Reality and variety shows
|2007–2008||Sonyeon Sonyeo Gayo Baekseo||Mnet||Co-host||with Kim Hye-seong|
|2008||Kko Kko Tours Single♥Single||KBS2||Regular Cast||Season 1|
|2009–2010||Show! Music Core||MBC||Co-host||with Yuri|
|2012–2013||with Taeyeon and Seohyun|
|2013||Fashion King Korea||SBS||Regular Cast/Contestant||Third place|
|2014||The TaeTiSeo||OnStyle||Regular Cast||with Taeyeon and Seohyun (8 episodes)|
|2015||Heart A Tag||Mnet||Host||with Lee Cheol Woo|
|2015||Channel Girls' Generation||OnStyle||Herself||with her co-members|
|2008||Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot School Girl||Herself||Nominated|
|2009||11th Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best OST||"By Myself"||Nominated|
|2011||MBC Entertainment Awards||Special Award: MC Division (with Yuri)||Show! Music Core||Won|
- "Person details for Stephanie Young Hwang, 'California, Birth Index, 1905-1995'". FamilySearch. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Tiffany's Korean name: Hwang Mi-young (in Korean) Newsen.com (March 1, 2009). Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- "SISTAR’s Bora And Girls’ Generation’s Tiffany Bond In Cute Cosmo Korea Photo Shoot". fashionnstyle.com. 2015-08-20. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- "Win Win Episode 11". Win Win (in Korean). April 20, 2010. Korean Broadcasting System. KBS2.
- "Tiffany from Girls'Generation Exclusive Interview with Mnet America". youtube.com. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- "Eye Smile Queen Tiffany Hwang Official Thread". onehallyu.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- "NYers screaming for new wave of K-pop stars". Daily News. New York.
- Girls' Generation Tiffany was cast during 2004 SM Casting System in LA (in Korean) Newsen.com (August 1, 2007). Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 홀로 숙소 지키는 티파니 "이제서야 외로움이 몰려와요". February 13, 2009
- SM Entertainment Girls' Generation Profile SMTown.com. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Danny From LA Meets with SNSD’s Tiffany, Sunny, and Taeyeon at Dodger Stadium Mwave.interest.me (August 13, 2013). Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- SNSD’s Tiffany, Taeyeon, and Sunny Meet Up with MLB Players in LA Mwave.interest.me (July 29, 2013). Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Pops in Seoul-Girls′ Generation-TTS (Holler) 태티서 (Holler) Arirang Kpop's Official Youtube Channel (September 22, 2014). Retrieved September 22, 2014.
- "Sunny's "FM Date" with Girls' Generation-TTS". MBC's FM4U's "FM Date" radio show (in Korean). September 19, 2014. approx. 80 minutes in. MBC.
- Subgroup "TTS", formed by Girls' Generation's Taeyeon, Tiffany & Seohyun, debuts in May (in Korean) Daum.net (April 19, 2012). Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "Tiffany's Interview". Korea InStyle Magazine (August 2014). August 2014.
- (Korean) StarNews: 티파니, 서현 이어 솔로 변신..'자명고' OST 참여, 김지연 기자. MoneyToday. March 25, 2009.
- 티파니 싱글 – 나 혼자서. webpage (in Korean). Maniadb.com. Retrieved April 30, 2010.
- "소시 티파니, '내연모' OST로 지원사격". Joynews. April 7, 2013. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- Girls' Generation Jessica, Tiffany and Seohyun released a game theme song (in Korean) Newsen.com (August 1, 2008). Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Tiffany & K.Will sing a duet "A Girl, Meets Love" (in Korean) Newsen.com (March 27, 2009). Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- (Korean) Cyworld's "Oh! My Love For You" (Feat. Tiffany & Soo Young) Music.cyworld.com (May 14, 2009). Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- (Korean) 카라 한승연, 티파니 후임으로 '소년소녀가요백서' 진행. Originally from International Business Times (June 25, 2008). Archived on October 10, 2012. Retrieved November 24, 2014.
- (Korean) spn.edaily.co.kr: 티파니·유리, '음악중심' 새 MC..."샤방샤방 즐거움 드릴게요", March 28, 2009
- "소녀시대 티파니 유리, '쇼! 음악중심' 새 MC 발탁". webpage (in Korean). Media Daum.com. Retrieved March 28, 2009.
- "Tiffany and Yuri are to leave MC Duties on MBC's Music Core". facebook.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- Yuri, Tiffany & Sooyoung to MC 'Kpop All Star Live in Niigata’ Dkpopnews.net (August 4, 2011). Retrieved November 23, 2011.
- MBC鸟巢开唱 少时EXO担主持16组嘉宾献艺 Sina Corp.com.cn (October 21, 2014). Retrieved on November 17, 2014.
- Lee, JinHo "Eunhyuk Attends ‘Fame’ Showcase" Mnet News. November 7, 2011. Retrieved April 1, 2011
- "Girls' Generation New Reality Show 'The Taetiseo', Stars Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun". Breathecast.com. August 18, 2014. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "The TaeTiSeo Episode 3". The TaeTiSeo (in Korean). September 16, 2014. approx. 41 minutes in. OnStyle (온스타일).
- "Soompi Gets to Know Jessica and Tiffany of SNSD". soompi.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- [KBS Cool FM 슈퍼주니어 키스 더 라디오 Broadcast November 14, 2009]
- [dead link]
- 스타인생극장' 티파니, 일 때문에 아빠와 멀어져 '눈물 펑펑 (in Korean). News.zum.com. November 23, 2011. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- 소녀시대 티파니, ‘절친노트’에 불참한 이유는? (in Korean). Nownews. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- 소녀시대 티파니 목 상태 호전 "26일 ‘음중’ 참여 가능할듯" - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔 (in Korean). Newsen.com. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "SNSD Tiffany Sent to Hospital". snsdforever993.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- "Interview by 'The Musical'", November 14, 2011
- 소녀시대 티파니 발목부상 ‘음악중심 출연 반깁스 투혼’ (in Korean). Blog.daum.net. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "Tiffany of SNSD". opera.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- 소녀시대 티파니 발목 깁스, 日 쇼케이스는 예정대로 (in Korean). Hankyung.com. August 23, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "무릎부상 티파니, 한달만에 23일 소녀시대 활동재개 - 중앙일보 연예". JoongAng Daily Entertainment. December 20, 2010. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- 소녀시대 티파니 오늘(22일) 한달만에 복귀 日서 공식 활동재개 - 손에 잡히는 뉴스 눈에 보이는 뉴스 - 뉴스엔 (in Korean). Newsen.com. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". The Chosun Ilbo. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "TaeTiSeo makes a cameo appearance in Kang Dong Won's movie My Brilliant Life" (in Korean). Hankook Media Network. August 21, 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- (Korean) 'SM타운' 공연실황 다큐, 8월13일 국내개봉 확정
- Yoon, Sarah (May 14, 2015). "SNSD to appear in Kim Soo-hyun's drama 'The Producers'". The Korea Herald. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- "Girls' Generation's Tiffany becomes MC for fashion and beauty program". Jakarta Post via MSN. March 31, 2015. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- (Korean) Mnet Asian Music Awards – official website
- MBC 올해의 예능 프로그램에 '나는 가수다' (in Korean). MBC News. December 30, 2011. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tiffany.|