Ty Dolla Sign
|Ty Dolla Sign|
Ty Dolla $ign at Yonge-Dundas Square in Toronto in 2015.
|Birth name||Tyrone William Griffin Jr.|
April 13, 1985 |
South Los Angeles, California, United States
Tyrone William Griffin Jr. (born April 13, 1985), known professionally as Ty Dolla Sign (stylized as Ty Dolla $ign or Ty$), is an American singer, rapper, songwriter, and record producer. He first gained major recognition in 2010 for his feature on YG's "Toot It and Boot It", which he had written and produced for Def Jam Recordings. In the summer of 2013, he signed a record deal with Wiz Khalifa's Taylor Gang Records. In November 2015, he released his debut studio album, Free TC, which peaked at number 14 on the US Billboard 200.
Ty Dolla Sign is perhaps best known for his singles "Paranoid", "Or Nah", and "Blasé", as well as his writing contributions to "Loyal", "Post to Be", and "FourFiveSeconds", among others. Aside from his solo music career, Ty Dolla Sign is also a member of production team D.R.U.G.S., alongside Chordz 3D, Buddah, Nate 3D, James Koo, Fuego, and DJ Dahi.
Ty Dolla Sign was born Tyrone William Griffin Jr. on April 13, 1985, in Los Angeles, California. Growing up in South Central Los Angeles, Ty Dolla Sign was a gang member, representing the Bloods, while his brother was a Crip. About his childhood Ty Dolla Sign revealed, that through his father's involvement in the band Lakeside, he got to hang around and meet bands like Earth Wind & Fire and Prince as a kid, which incited his love and interest for soul music.
2007–11: Career beginnings
Ty Dolla Sign is the son of musician Tyrone Griffin, a member of the band Lakeside. Ty Dolla Sign began his music career by learning how to play the bass guitar and later learned how to play drums, guitars, keyboards, and the MPC. Ty Dolla Sign and his partner Kory were signed a record deal with Venus Brown and Buddah Brown Entertainment, subsequently releasing a mixtape, titled Raw & Bangin Mixtape Vol 2. The duo also made guest appearances on studio albums by other artists such as Sa-Ra Creative Partners and Black Milk. They also sang on songs such as "U", which was featured on the latter 2007's recording Popular Demand. Eventually, however, the partners had a falling out related to these ventures.
After the dispute, Ty Dolla Sign would go on to collaborate with Los Angeles-based rapper YG. Ty Dolla Sign's initial claim to fame was through the success of YG's single "Toot It and Boot It", a song he both wrote and produced with YG. He then became affiliated with YG's group Pu$haz Ink. In 2011, Ty Dolla Sign released his first solo song, titled "All Star" featuring Joe Moses, and produced by Fuego. Ty Dolla Sign then released "My Cabana", featuring Young Jeezy, which was ranked on Complex's Best 50 Songs of 2012 list at number 23. Ty Dolla Sign co-founded the production team D.R.U.G.S. alongside longtime friends and fellow music producers Chordz 3D and G Casso, the latter of which was later murdered. Other producers later joined D.R.U.G.S., including Nate 3D, Buddah Shampoo, Fuego, DJ Mustard and DJ Dahi.
2012–14: Beach House mixtapes
In 2012, Ty Dolla Sign signed a recording contract with Atlantic Records. After signing with Atlantic Records, he released his first solo mixtape, titled Beach House, on October 1, 2012. He followed with the mixtape's sequel, Beach House 2, on July 1, 2013. Beach House 2 features guest appearances from Too $hort, Wiz Khalifa, Juicy J and Kirko Bangz, among others. The following day, it was revealed that Ty Dolla Sign signed a deal with Wiz Khalifa's Taylor Gang Records. In mid-2013, he toured with Khalifa and A$AP Rocky, among others, on the "Under the Influence of Music 2" concert tour.
On September 10, 2013, Ty Dolla Sign released a single, titled "Paranoid", which features a verse from Atlanta rapper B.o.B and production from DJ Mustard. The song was later announced to be the first single off his upcoming extended play (EP). On October 22, 2013, the Ethan Lader-directed music video for "Paranoid", premiered via Diddy's Revolt. The single became highly popular, peaking at number 29 on the US Billboard Hot 100 and eventually being certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
On January 7, 2014, Ty Dolla Sign released his second single for his debut EP, titled "Or Nah", featuring Wiz Khalifa and DJ Mustard. The song's production was handled by DJ Mustard and it contains a sample of Trillville's "Some Cut". The music video was filmed during January 2014. The single was remixed featuring vocals from Canadian singer The Weeknd and was certified platinum by the RIAA.
On January 21, 2014, Ty Dolla Sign released his major label debut project, Beach House EP. The EP features guest appearances from Casey Veggies, Wiz Khalifa, Twista, Jay Rock, Trey Songz, French Montana, Travi$ Scott and Fredo Santana, while the production was primarily handled by Ty Dolla Sign himself, along with DJ Mustard, Cardo and Young Chop, among others. He stated that the EP would feature a new sound from him, and that it would be on a whole other level compared to his mixtapes. Ty Dolla Sign described the EP as being a preview for his debut studio album, at the time due to be released during 2014. The remix to "Paranoid", featuring Trey Songz, French Montana, and DJ Mustard, was also included on the EP.
2014–present: Free TC , Campaign and Beach House 3
On February 23, 2014, Ty Dolla Sign revealed that his debut studio album would be titled Free TC, and would be released during the third quarter of 2014. He told Revolt, that he had already completed eight songs for the album and that he would be going on tour, namely Under the Influence 3, with Wiz Khalifa during 2014. He was chosen for the 2014's XXL freshman class. In May 2014, Ty Dolla Sign told The Fader, that he would release a mixtape, titled Sign Language, sometime during the next few months, which would then be followed by Free TC. In August 2014, TyDolla Sign revealed that Jeremih, Wiz Khalifa, YG, Yo Gotti and Jay 305, will be appearing on Sign Language. On August 24, 2014, which happens to be the same day he released his mixtape Sign Language, Ty Dolla Sign told HotNewHipHop, that he has worked with Rihanna on a track from her upcoming album.
While working on his debut album, Ty Dolla Sign appeared on Chris Brown and Tyga's Fan of a Fan: The Album, on the second track "Nothin' Like Me", as well as Big Sean's song "Play No Games" off of Dark Sky Paradise. On May 26, 2015, Ty Dolla Sign released the first single from Free TC, titled "Only Right", which features TeeCee4800, Joe Moses and YG and was produced by DJ Mustard. On June 26, 2015, he released the album's second single, titled "Blasé", featuring Future and Rae Sremmurd. "Blasé" would go on to be certified platinum by the RIAA. Ty Dolla Sign's album pre-order as well as the instant grat "When I See Ya", featuring Fetty Wap, became available on September 11, 2015. The album's third single, "Saved", featuring E-40, went on to be certified gold by the RIAA.
Ty Dolla Sign revealed that on October 13, 2015, exactly one month before his album came out, he would release a new mixtape Airplane Mode. Ty Dolla Sign's debut album, Free TC, was released on November 13, 2015, via Taylor Gang Records and Atlantic Records. The album debuted at number 14 on the Billboard 200, with 31,000 equivalent album units and first-week sales of 22,000 copies in the United States. In February 2016, Fifth Harmony released the single "Work from Home" featuring Ty Dolla Sign, which has gone on to peak at number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. In June 2016, Ty Dolla Sign, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Imagine Dragons, Logic and X Ambassadors released the collaboration single "Sucker for Pain" for the motion picture soundtrack for Suicide Squad. In August 2016, Ty and singer Nick Jonas performed the song "Bacon" at the MTV Video Music Awards, where Ty also won Best Collaboration for "Work from Home" with Fifth Harmony. On September 23, 2016, Ty released a commercial mixtape titled Campaign, which peaked at number 28 on the Billboard 200. His second studio album, Beach House 3 will be released in 2017.
Ty Dolla Sign sings and raps, combining elements of hip hop music and contemporary R&B. When asked if he was a rapper, he stated, "People would call it rap, but I really don’t feel like I rap. There’s so many great rappers, like if we had to battle or some shit, they would just cream me. I don’t really consider myself a rapper, I just happen to have bars, or something like that. I still sing man, I’m a singer, ya feel me?"
When asked about his influences, Ty Dolla Sign responded, "2Pac is my favorite artist of all time. I liked Slum Village a lot back then, like J Dilla, he’s one of my favorite producers and artists. I’m like a hip-hop head type of dude. Mos Def, Talib Kweli, that whole Rawkus Records scene, that’s my type of shit." He continued, "I also like cats like Prince. Just like his production, he's kind of like the same thing as me. He sings, he produces, he plays all types of instruments. That’s what I’m after. I wouldn’t wear that type of clothes or wear my hair like that. [Laughs.] But as far as artistry, that’s the same type of dude I am." In an interview he revealed that Kim Burrell was his absolute favorite vocalist, and that Brandy was right there with her.
Ty Dolla Sign has a daughter named Jailynn.
Awards and nominations
|2016||Premios Juventud||"Work from Home" (with Fifth Harmony)||Favorite Hit||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer Song||Won|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Collaboration||Won|
|American Music Awards||Collaboration of the Year||Won|
|2017||iHeartRadio Music Awards||Best Music Video||Won|
|Kids' Choice Awards||Favorite Song||Won|
- "Sign Language: 5 Songs You Didn't Know Ty Dolla $ign Wrote".
- "25 New Producers To Watch Out ForD.R.U.G.S.".
- Griffin, Tyrone William Jr. "Songwriter/Composer: GRIFFIN TYRONE WILLIAM JR". Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). Retrieved May 30, 2015.
- "Happy Birthday, Ty Dolla $ign". The Boombox. Retrieved August 26, 2015.
- djvlad (September 28, 2013). "TY$ Talks About Gang Banging in Younger Days" – via YouTube.
- Malcolm Ohanwe. "Ty Dolla $ign talks working with Brandy, collab EP with R. Kelly, Prince's death". MalcolmMusic. Retrieved May 14, 2016.
- Sundermann, Eric (August 12, 2013). "Ty Dolla $ign Just Wants to Be a Man | NOISEY". Noisey.vice.com. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Leight, Elias. "Ty Dolla $ign Talks 'New Black Punk,' Loving Babyface, Gritty 'Free TC' LP". rollingstone.com. Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- Chau, Danny. "Los Angeles Plays Itself: The Surprising Rise of Ty Dolla $ign". grantland.com. Grantland. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- "Hanging With 50 Cent and Breaking Into the Industry — Who Is Ty Dolla $ign?". Complex. October 26, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Sittner, Brian. "Eclipse Magazine interviews Tydolla$ign". Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- Torres, Gina. "Producer Tydolla$ign Releases New Mixtape "House on the Hill"". Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- "23. Ty Dolla $ign "My Cabana" — The 50 Best Songs of 2012". Complex. December 11, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Who Is Ty Dolla $ign?Producing With His Crew, D.R.U.G.$.".
- "Ty Dolla $ign on Singing, Producing and Screwing Your Girlfriend - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Bacher, Danielle (2013-10-03). "I Hung Out With Ty$ the Other Night. Things Got Out of Hand | West Coast Sound | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly". Blogs.laweekly.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "19. Ty Dolla Sign, Beach House 2 — The Most Anticipated Albums of Summer 2013". Complex. 2013-06-13. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Ty Dolla $ign Officially Joins Taylor Gang". Vibe. 2013-07-02. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Ty Dolla $ign Reveals 'Beach House EP' Tracklist". Theboombox.com. 2013-12-12. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "It Doesn’t End Well For Ty Dolla $ign In New Video, "Paranoid"". TheSource. 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- Ben says: (2013-10-22). "Video: Ty Dolla $ign f. B.o.B., "Paranoid"". The Fader. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Interview: Ty Dolla $ign on Krept & Konan, The UK Scene & More". MTV. April 7, 2016. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Or Nah (feat. Wiz Khalifa and DJ Mustard) [Explicit]: Ty Dolla $ign: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. January 7, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Ty Dolla $ign f/ Wiz Khalifa "Or Nah"". Complex. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Ty Dolla $ign ft. Wiz Khalifa – "Or Nah"". Hiphopwired.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "38. Ty Dolla $ign, Beach House EP — The Most Anticipated Albums of 2014". Complex. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Ty Dolla $ign EP Release Date & Tracklisting - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-12-11. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- timsanchez818 (2013-12-10). "Exclusive: Ty Dolla $ign Sounds Off On New EP And Imitators". AllHipHop.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Ty Dolla $ign Wants To Rule The Summer Again - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Miranda J. (December 11, 2013). "Ty Dolla $ign EP Release Date & Tracklisting – XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Wiz Khalifa, Tyga, Ty Dolla Sign & More To Perform at "Under The Influence" Tour 2014". Hot New Hip Hop. Trevor Smith. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "XXL Freshmen 2014 Cover Revealed". XXL. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- Julianne Escobedo Shepherd. "Cover Story: Ty Dolla $ign Is the Life of the Party". The FADER. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- Patrick Lyons. "Ty Dolla $ign Says That Jeremih, Wiz Khalifa, YG And Yo Gotti Appear On His "Sign Language" Mixtape [Update: Release Date And Artwork Revealed]". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- Patrick Lyons. "Ty Dolla $ign Talks Working With Rihanna And Meeting 2Pac". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved March 9, 2015.
- "Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Ty Dolla $ign on Twitter: "#AIRPLANEMODE MIXTAPE TOMORROW!! LISTEN TO TRACK #1 NOW:"". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- Westhoff, Ben Ty Dolla $ign: crunch time for rap's reigning hooksmith The Guardian. October 29, 2015
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: Jeezy, Logic & Ty Dolla $ign". HipHopDX. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Lynch, Joe (February 26, 2016). "Fifth Harmony Debuts 'Work From Home' Video, Talks Renaming Single to Avoid Rihanna Confusion". Billboard. Retrieved February 26, 2016.
- "Fifth Harmony - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- "'Sucker for Pain' video has new 'Suicide Squad' awesomeness". Rolling Stone. June 26, 2016. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Will Perform ‘Bacon’ at the VMAs With Ty Dolla $ign". Time. August 17, 2016. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: Ty Dolla $ign, Danny Brown & Mick Jenkins". HipHopDX. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Ty Dolla Sign teasing new beach house 3 Project". The Beat DFW. Retrieved April 15, 2017.
- "Who Is Ty Dolla $ign?". Complex. October 26, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- "Who Is Ty Dolla $ign?Influences and His Style of Music".
- "Ty Dolla $ign Announces "Beach House 3" Album On The Way". June 23, 2016.
- "Premios Juventud: Lista completa de nominados 2016". Univision. June 2, 2016. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Teen Choice Awards 2016: See the full list of winners". Entertainment Weekly. July 31, 2016. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Beyonce, Adele Lead 2016 VMA Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. July 26, 2016. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "Drake Sets Record with 13 2016 American Music Awards Nominations; Rihanna Second with Seven". Billboard. October 10, 2016. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- "Drake Leads 2017 iHeartRadio Music Awards Nominations". Rap-Up. January 4, 2017. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Justin Timberlake and Kevin Hart Lead Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards Nominations". Variety. February 2, 2017. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ty Dolla Sign.|