User talk:Julia W

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
If you leave a message for me here, I will probably respond here, to keep conversations together. If you express a preference, though, I would be happy to respond on your talk page instead.
If I've left you a message, I will be watching your talk page and expecting you to respond there.
Click on this link to leave me a new message.
Archives
July 2008–December 2008 * January 2009–June 2009 * July 2009–December 2009 * January 2010–June 2010 * July 2010–December 2010
January–December 2011 * January–December 2012

Contents

WikiWomen's Collaborative: Come join us (and check out our new website)![edit]

WikiWomen - We need you!
WWC logo purple and blue.png
Hi Julia W! The WikiWomen's Collaborative is a group of women from around the world who edit Wikipedia, contribute to its sister projects, and support the mission of free knowledge. We recently updated our website, created new volunteer positions, and more!

Get involved by:

  • Visiting our website for resources, events, and more
  • Meet other women and share your story in our profile space
  • Participate at and "like" our Facebook group
  • Join the conversation on our Twitter feed
  • Reading and writing for our blog channel
  • Volunteer to write for our blog, recruit blog writers, translate content, and co-run our Facebook and receive perks for volunteering
  • Already participating? Take our survey and share your experience!

Thanks for editing Wikipedia, and we look forward to you being a part of the Collaborative! -- EdwardsBot (talk) 00:49, 10 January 2013 (UTC)

Training the Trainers[edit]

""

Hi Julie, the Training the Trainers event (weekend of 23-24 February) has been moved to Manchester by popular consent. It would be a great chance for you to brush up your training skills and meet some other awesome Wikimedians. Sign up at wmuk:Training the Trainers/February 2013 event if you can make it. All the best, --RexxS (talk) 16:42, 18 January 2013 (UTC)

Hi Julie,
The train the trainers course is excellent. I went on it and learnt a lot. And a lot of it is applicable in many areas of life. I recommend it highly.
Yaris678 (talk) 10:10, 29 January 2013 (UTC)

Hi Julia, we're looking to finalise numbers and I just wanted to confirm that you're still interested in attending the event on 23-24th February? Thanks, Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 20:16, 8 February 2013 (UTC)

Yes, I'm still interested and have that weekend free for it. Julia\talk 11:22, 9 February 2013 (UTC)
Thanks. As 18 people have registered their interest and there's only space for 12 we're in the process of chasing up who can come and who would need accommodation (arranged by Wikimedia UK). Would you need accommodation? Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 12:39, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
I live in Manchester near the city centre and so no, would not need accommodation. Julia\talk 13:14, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
Thanks again. We'll soon be posting details of the venue and how to get there on the event page. I'll let you know when that's done. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 13:18, 11 February 2013 (UTC)
By the way, the details of the venue are now on the UK wiki. Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 13:59, 12 February 2013 (UTC)

We've finalised the list of attendees and you're amongst the 12. See you there! Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 11:35, 13 February 2013 (UTC)

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Julia W. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.

Richard Nevell (WMUK) (talk) 15:35, 13 February 2013 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Hi and thanks for welcoming me.

You should know that you have inspired me to use wikipedia as a creative outlet for my overworked, mid-range and under-challenged brain.

So thanks.

Please do keep reading my drivel. You may in fact find some of it interesting, if not amusing.

Jim — Preceding unsigned comment added by JCoopsflamethrower (talkcontribs) 11:27, 10 February 2013 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for February 17[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Sphecodopsis, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Labrum (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 11:50, 17 February 2013 (UTC)

DYK for Sphecodopsis[edit]

Carabinieri (talk) 08:03, 24 February 2013 (UTC)

DYK Medal[edit]

Dyk25CE.svg The 25 DYK Creation and Expansion Medal
I can't believe you shot through 25 DYKs and no one thought to give you this medal. Congratulations on all the hard work you've put into creating new content for the encyclopedia. Without people like you doing the proper work, the encyclopedia would be nothing. With you, it gives information to everyone. I'll let you add yourself to the List of Wikipedians by number of DYKs, where you thoroughly deserve your place. WormTT(talk) 08:20, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
Thank you loads and loads! Face-grin.svg Julia\talk 18:08, 25 February 2013 (UTC)

About Kuremaa[edit]

Hi! Since you wrote Kuremaa and seem interested, I thought I'd tell you I recently found out who the architect of the manor house was (in case you don't already know). I was looking for info about Suure-Kõpu manor in Kõpu and apparently the architect of the two manors is the same - his name was Emil Julius Strauss. There's also a third manor in Estonia that he possibly designed... OK, a bit of superfluous knowledge perhaps, but still I thought I'd let you know :) Yakikaki (talk) 20:33, 27 February 2013 (UTC)

Hello, thanks for sharing that, I didn't know who the architect was. I've added him to the article now - presumably the source is the book by Ivar Sakk? Shall I add that as a citation or would you like to? Julia\talk 18:13, 12 March 2013 (UTC)
Yes, it's from mr Sakk's book, I've added the citation now as well. Cheers, Yakikaki (talk) 21:43, 12 March 2013 (UTC)

Infobox photo consensus discussion[edit]

Hi. Can you offer your opinion on which photo is more appropriate for the Infobox in the Scott Allie article in this discussion? You don't need to know anything about Allie; I'm contacting you because you've worked on Featured Pictures. I tried contacting lots of editors who work on comics-related articles, but every time I do so, we wind up with the sentiments split down the middle, and no clear consensus. I'm thinking perhaps that people who work on matters dealing with photography might be able to offer viewpoints that yield a consensus. Thank you. Nightscream (talk) 15:34, 9 March 2013 (UTC)

Email[edit]

Hey Julie, hope all is well. Could you check your email? There's a thread titled "Oldham Library wiki training" and it would be handy to know if you still planned to come. You've no obligation either way, but it would be great if you could let us know. If I don't see you there, hopefully we'll catch up at a meetup or something. Best, HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 16:42, 21 April 2013 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know that the Featured Picture File:Twintowers of Deutsche Bank Headquarter in Frankfurt a.M..jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day on May 31, 2013. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2013-05-31. — Crisco 1492 (talk) 23:18, 14 May 2013 (UTC)

Meetup[edit]

Just so I don't forget, see m:Meetup/Chester/1. One hour on the train from Piccadilly for about a tenner. I've signed up. You should too! --(ʞɿɐʇ) ɐuɐʞsǝp 20:24, 25 June 2013 (UTC)

Ta! Julia\talk 01:54, 27 June 2013 (UTC)

Talkback[edit]

Nuvola apps edu languages.svg
Hello, Julia W. You have new messages at Armbrust's talk page.
Message added 17:39, 6 August 2013 (UTC). You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

Armbrust The Homunculus 17:39, 6 August 2013 (UTC)

Mail-message-new.svg
Hello, Julia W. Please check your email; you've got mail!
It may take a few minutes from the time the email is sent for it to show up in your inbox. You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{You've got mail}} or {{ygm}} template.

Oversight[edit]

FYI: I already gave you access to the private IRC channel #wikimedia-privacy. Please don't forget to identify, in order to receive the oversight rights. Trijnsteltalk 20:03, 31 August 2013 (UTC)

Re:Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Albanian water frog[edit]

Brilliant, great work. I think people are often inclined to forget about the articles at FPC, which is a shame. J Milburn (talk) 08:54, 13 September 2013 (UTC)

DYK for Albanian water frog[edit]

The DYK project (nominate) 23:27, 26 September 2013 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know that the Featured Picture File:Palais Saint-Georges, Rennes, Aug 2010.jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day on October 28, 2013. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2013-10-28. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Crisco 1492 (talk) 00:32, 29 September 2013 (UTC)

Manchester meetup[edit]

Newsflash! The location of this weekend's Manchester meetup has been moved back to Wetherspoons on Princess Street - the Ducie Arms isn't open on Sundays! Can you believe that?! Bazonka (talk) 18:01, 17 October 2013 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know that the Featured Picture File:Robert Sheehan MingFilmFest 2011.jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day on November 7, 2013. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2013-11-07. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Crisco 1492 (talk) 23:01, 21 October 2013 (UTC)

Featured photo[edit]

Hello, and thanks for your recent featured photo of Palais Saint-Georges. Only one question: doesn't France already have a freedom of panorama moratorium as it is? --Slgrandson (How's my egg-throwing coleslaw?) 03:39, 29 October 2013 (UTC)

That's correct. But the freedom of panorama embargo applies only to copyrightable works or buildings. Hence why one can publish photos of the Eiffel Tower, but not of the Eiffel Tower when it is lit up at night because the "lighting display" is copyrightable. One may publish a photo of The Louvre that includes the glass pyramids because they are unavoidable in order to capture the building, but one may not publish a photo of the pyramids themselves. There is more information here: Commons:Freedom of panorama#France. Regards, Julia\talk 08:02, 29 October 2013 (UTC)

Seeking an Unblock over Heavy Opposition[edit]

Hi Julia W, I'm looking for an administrator willing to consider a policy-based rationale to overturn my permanent block. I come to you pretty randomly. I decided this morning to ask an administrator beginning with "J." I went through January (declined on basis "WP:BASC said no," etc.) and Josiah Rowe (declined on basis "too complex, I don't have enough time." That's the Js, but there have been by now I guess twelve or thirteen individual administrators in all I've asked like this, of which probably four didn't respond at all, most of the rest answered with little discussion like January and Josiah, one said basically "I think you deserve to be blocked," and one (Nihonjoe) unblocked with substantial research and policy references, but was battled back, frankly, by a WP:AN/ANI mob that took it on itself to vote me off the island.

I was blocked in May 2012 by Timotheus Canens without warning, diff, or explanation. He just clicked his Twinkle button which generated a pointer to WP:SOCK. The pointer actually said "WP:Sockpuppetry: illegit" or something like that. I never socked Wikipedia. Sock means deception, I've always been forthright and straight-up. This account is my second, I switched for privacy concerns. This is the no-fault basis under WP:CLEANSTART, which is policy. I'd edited Wikipedia for years, created several articles, and in-depth contributed to many more. Those were mainly under my previous account but I can at least point you to Rain City Superhero Movement which I authored in the few weeks of my current account before Timotheus wiped me out.

It is true that I am "block evading" right now by raw IP editing with username signature, but I feel I have no alternative.

Well, I don't want to type an intimidatingly long block of text at your page. I guess you will be the last "J" I approach. If you are willing to examine my case, please unblock me at my talkpage, and ask me anything, or point me to your concerns. I promise to mind civility (WP:CIV) policy, which I acknowledged was a weakness of mine. I need an administrator who is inclined towards policy thought and reasoned justification, as opposed to hierarchical and authority-based thinking. I have to sign my username funny for technical reasons. Thank you in advance for reading.

. C . C .
. o . o .
. l . s .
. t . m .
. o . i .
. n . c . — Preceding unsigned comment added by 174.254.162.48 (talk) 19:16, 7 November 2013 (UTC)

As disappointing as my response will be, I'm an admin who is primarily concerned with the content of the encyclopaedia—that means I write, and fix stuff, and make things more accurate, and such. I'm not at all concerned with behavioural issues, combatant natures, ancient blocks, old grievances, drama, etc. I have no interest in looking into your request. Sorry. Julia\talk 19:26, 7 November 2013 (UTC)
"Primarily concerned with the content of the encyclopaedia—that means I write, and fix stuff, and make things more accurate, and such. Not at all concerned with behavioural issues, combatant natures, ancient blocks, old grievances, drama, etc." Yeah, I used to be that way too. I created articles on important stuff, several of which are the top Google result. I never mucked with the drama stuff until sucked against my will into it. I'd say thanks for looking, but you seem to have just copped an instant judgement, and one that doesn't fit me at all.

. C . C .
. o . o .
. l . s .
. t . m .
. o . i .
. n . c . — Preceding unsigned comment added by 174.236.2.121 (talk) 19:39, 7 November 2013 (UTC)

Actually, I haven't made an instant judgement. Some of what I said probably applies to the other admins involved, and is not about you. All I really know is that I don't want to get involved. Julia\talk 19:43, 7 November 2013 (UTC)

fixing syntax[edit]

Thank you. I am new to editing. Can you please provide more detailed information on where the problematic brackets are, & how to fix the syntax issue.

Oglala19 (talk) 20:20, 12 November 2013 (UTC)Oglala

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Also, I notice there are are a list of numbers under the existing references, that don't appear in the edit screen, and aren't related to any actual references. Is there something I need to do to correct that? Thanks for your help.
Oglala19 (talk)Oglala —Preceding undated comment added 21:05, 12 November 2013 (UTC)

DYK for Eutricha capensis[edit]

Cas Liber (talk · contribs) 08:02, 14 November 2013 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Lyme Hall[edit]

South facade of Lyme Park house, 2013.jpg
An image created by you has been promoted to featured picture status
Your image, File:South facade of Lyme Park house, 2013.jpg, was nominated on Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates, gained a consensus of support, and has been promoted. If you would like to nominate an image, please do so at Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates. Thank you for your contribution! Armbrust The Homunculus 21:36, 1 December 2013 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know that the Featured Picture File:Galina Vishnevskaya edit 2.jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day on December 24, 2013. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2013-12-24. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Crisco 1492 (talk) 23:58, 1 December 2013 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Birdy[edit]

Birdy-2450.jpg
Your Featured picture candidate has been promoted
Your nomination for featured picture status, File:Birdy-2450.jpg, gained a consensus of support, and has been promoted. If you would like to nominate another image, please do so at Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates. Armbrust The Homunculus 16:34, 29 January 2014 (UTC)

January 2014[edit]

Hello, I'm BracketBot. I have automatically detected that your edit to Heliophila may have broken the syntax by modifying 2 "[]"s. If you have, don't worry: just edit the page again to fix it. If I misunderstood what happened, or if you have any questions, you can leave a message on my operator's talk page.

List of unpaired brackets remaining on the page:
  • ', ''Cycloptychis'', ''Schlechteri'', ''Silicularia'', ''Thlaspeocarpa'', and ''Brachycarpaea]]''. The latter five genera contained among them only seven species, having been differentiated

Thanks, BracketBot (talk) 22:45, 31 January 2014 (UTC)

Disambiguation link notification for February 1[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Heliophila, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Generic name (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:07, 1 February 2014 (UTC)

DYK for Heliophila[edit]

The DYK project (nominate) 08:03, 13 February 2014 (UTC)

York edit-a-thon[edit]

Hi Julia! It seems a long time now since the training the trainers event back in Manchester. How are you? Just wanted to let you know that we're having an edit-a-thon here in York on March 16th and it would be great to have you along as an experienced editor and to help with some training? You can find out more on the event page. Hopefully there will be some material to interest you - we have some cracking entomology collections! The Backhouse dynasty seem to have been really important curators too. I hope you can come or to see you at an event soon if not. Cheers, PatHadley (talk) 14:38, 6 March 2014 (UTC)

Hi Pat, I heartily approve of events that aren't on weekdays! I could have attended this as it's on a Sunday but I've actually now moved to San Francisco, as of last week. I know - big change! Will possibly be back in a few years and then I can once again come to events and meet-ups. Until then, though. Face-sad.svg Shame to miss out on the entomology collection, and would have been great to work with you again too. And thanks for inviting me! Julia\talk 00:53, 7 March 2014 (UTC)
Wow! Big move - I hope you're enjoying it! Are you still in academia or working for the Foundation? If we get specimen photos up I'll point them your way and hope that they're useful! Cheers, PatHadley (talk) 13:06, 7 March 2014 (UTC)
Actually, it's all Dan's fault.  ;) He is working for the Foundation now and so I've moved also. I'm turning my attention to full-time study and part-time work (instead of doing it the other way around as I was!). Julia\talk 01:54, 10 March 2014 (UTC)

Delist nomination that you may want to be involved in.[edit]

Hi Julia W. Just wanted to make you aware of a delist nomination that I created. It's for the Fulvous Whistling Duck image that you nominated a while back for FP. I took a photo recently that I think improves on it in a number of respects (except cuteness, potentially) and have replaced it in the articles that it previously lived. I'm not sure whether my image is necessarily a FP by 2014 standards so for the time being I haven't nominated it to replace the current FP (not to mention it's only just been added to articles and as per due process, I'll wait and see if it 'sticks'). But as the current FP is no longer used in any articles, it's an automatic delist nomination. Anyway, just wanted to make you aware so you can make your opinions felt. Ðiliff «» (Talk) 10:37, 17 March 2014 (UTC)

Expired Citations[edit]

Sorry, but I think you might have forgotten to answer about expired citations. --Clubclubclub (talk) 19:32, 27 March 2014 (UTC)

P.S. Please respond on my talk page.--Clubclubclub (talk) 19:34, 27 March 2014 (UTC)

Thanks--Clubclubclub (talk) 20:12, 27 March 2014 (UTC)

Look forward to see you at Berkeley today![edit]

Hi there. Thanks for signing up for the WikiWomen's Edit-a-Thon at Berkeley that is happening today. I look forward to seeing you! We have changed the on-campus venue due to the response we've had, via Wikipedia and Facebook. Please take a look at the event page. If you get this message too late, we'll have a sign on the door of the former location directing you to the new one, which is only a short walk. See you then! SarahStierch (talk) 15:39, 5 April 2014 (UTC)

Thanks, Sarah! I'm already signed up on Facebook so got your message there first. Julia\talk 16:45, 5 April 2014 (UTC)

Hi Julia, I e-mailed you on gmail[edit]

Can you see if you received my e-mail about a page I created 2 years ago? FLFaye — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2601:E:8580:9A3:44B3:4DFE:1825:1B (talk) 00:19, 26 April 2014 (UTC)

Hi Faye, I have received your email and I'm looking into the issue. Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been away. Julia\talk 20:44, 27 April 2014 (UTC)

Welcome to The Wikipedia Adventure![edit]

TWA guide left bottom.png
Hi ! We're so happy you wanted to play to learn, as a friendly and fun way to get into our community and mission. I think these links might be helpful to you as you get started.

-- 01:21, Wednesday, August 31, 2016 (UTC)

Get Help
About The Wikipedia Adventure | Hang out in the Interstellar Lounge


Luiz Palhares[edit]

Hey, someone is asking for Luiz Palhares to be re-created via WP:UND at Wikipedia:Requests_for_undeletion#Luiz_Palhares. I noticed that you requested it via WP:G7, but I can't see where the main author requested deletion. I was going to restore it but figured I'd let you weigh in since I'm not really all that familiar with notability for athletes. Tokyogirl79 (。◕‿◕。) 10:58, 18 May 2014 (UTC)

Request for comment[edit]

Hello there, a proposal regarding pre-adminship review has been raised at Village pump by Anna Frodesiak. Your comments here is very much appreciated. Many thanks. Jim Carter through MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:47, 28 May 2014 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know that the Featured Picture File:Leucippus fallax.jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day on July 16, 2014. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2014-07-16. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Crisco 1492 (talk) 02:09, 30 June 2014 (UTC)

You're invited! Litquake Edit-a-thon in San Francisco[edit]

You are invited!Litquake Edit-a-thonSee you there!
Amy Tan.jpg
  In the area? You're invited to
   San Francisco Meetup # 22
GG-bridge-12-2006.jpg
  Date: October 11, 2014
  Time: 1-5 pm
  Place: 149 New Montgomery Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105
  prev: Meetup 21 - next: Meetup 23 | All SF meetups & events

The Edit-a-thon will occur in parallel with Litquake, the San Francisco Bay Area's annual literature festival. Writers from all over the Bay Area and the world will be in town during the nine day festival, so the timing is just right for us to meetup and create/translate/expand/improve articles about literature and writers. All levels of Wikipedia editing experience are welcome. This event will include new editor training. RSVP →here←. --Rosiestep (talk) 02:45, 27 September 2014 (UTC)

Ashlawn pic you removed earlier[edit]

You removed a pic from this article. Someone else sent a pic of the same house and I'm trying to figure out if it's the real house. If you check the external link in the article labeled "Day" you'll see a newspaper pic from 2002. The structure is remarkably similar, the ornamentation - including a pretty big and old looking porch - is different. Window placement is the same (except in area covered by the porch), pilasters are missing, chimney placement looks the same, except the chimneys themselves look a bit smaller. The roof must have been replaced. So it could go either way, but I usually go with the structure rather than the ornamentation. If you know the real house, why not just go and get the real pic? Any help appreciated!

Smallbones(smalltalk) 01:17, 6 October 2014 (UTC)

Well, maybe not, if Google Streetview is up-to-date. But I can't find anything else on that road that is similar. Smallbones(smalltalk) 01:31, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
Hi Smallbones, the picture is definitely wrong. I'll explain why, but be patient, it's a long story! So, the picture that's been re-added, that I previously removed, is of 1 Potash Hill Road. Google Street View for that address confirms it. The reason why so many people think this is the correct house is because the house numbering on that road used to be different. The National Register of Historic Places gives the address for Ashlawn as 1 Potash Hill Road – but, of course, the record is old and out of date. That address used to exist further down Potash Hill Road, at the junction of Potash Hill Road and Westminster Road. That The Day article states that the house pictured is "at Potash Hill and Westminster roads in Sprague". This original record of the NRHP states the house "sits in the fork of Potash Hill and Water Roads..." (on the second page). At first this seems to contradict what the article says, except that if you look further north on Westminster Road, Google Maps shows a name change to Water Street. Here is one of the few sources that shows the real house: [1]. As you can see, this matches quite perfectly with the one pictured in the newspaper article.
I'd go get a picture of course, except this has been figured out by sleuthing (along with ChrisGualtieri) and I actually live no where near this place.  :) Julia\talk 04:25, 6 October 2014 (UTC)


Thanks for the help! Smallbones(smalltalk) 14:29, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
Sorry, I been out doing some historical work as of late so I haven't been on wiki as much, but indeed - Julia W has it right. ChrisGualtieri (talk) 14:53, 6 October 2014 (UTC)

Proposed deletion of Holly Smale[edit]

Hello, Julia W. I wanted to let you know that I’m proposing an article that you started, Holly Smale, for deletion because it's a biography of a living person that lacks references. If you don't want Holly Smale to be deleted, please add a reference to the article.

If you don't understand this message, you can leave a note on my talk page.

Thanks, Anastasia [Missionedit] (talk) 22:01, 11 October 2014 (UTC)

I think it would have been worth noting that a) I stated in the first edit summary that I was expanding the article and that b) I have written several articles, none of them without references. Julia\talk 22:07, 11 October 2014 (UTC)
Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I didn't read the edit summary. Although if you look at it technically, your article doesn't have references, and I was justified thinking it should be tagged. Please use {{under construction}} in the future to make other editors aware. Sorry again for the inconvenience. ~ Anastasia [Missionedit] (talk) 22:19, 11 October 2014 (UTC)
It's okay, sorry for snapping at you and thanks for the apology. I tend to leave references to later and don't usually write biographies, so it wasn't a good combination! But being templated sucks. :) Julia\talk 22:29, 11 October 2014 (UTC)
(drive-by comment from talk-page stalker) @Anastasia: Slapping a template on an article 15 minutes after it's created isn't especially helpful—unless it's an attack page, spam, or a copyright violation (CSD G10, G11 and G12). Of course, if a BLP remains unreferenced, it needs to be tagged, but it's usually best to let it mature for a few hours. Obviously your intentions were noble, but rapid deletion tagging is one of the things we all-too-often hear puts people off contributing to Wikipedia. We get emotionally attached to our work—it's huan nature! :) HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 23:12, 11 October 2014 (UTC)

A barnstar for you![edit]

Kindness Barnstar Hires.png The Random Acts of Kindness Barnstar
Julia, Your suggestion and help in getting me started with AWB has made me a much more efficient editor and has made me more effective and I've had more fun editing. Thank you for your act of kindness. Keep up the good work. SchreiberBike talk 02:22, 26 October 2014 (UTC)
Aww, thank you very much! I'm delighted I could help and I think the bird project is glad you could too! Julia\talk 17:37, 26 October 2014 (UTC)

DYK for Megaponera[edit]

HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 12:02, 27 October 2014 (UTC)

Luiz Palhares[edit]

Hello, can you tell me who the original author of Luiz Palhares (speedy deleted by you) was, and if any others edited it substantively? It has returned in draft space, so I need the authors for attribution. If the history is complex, then fun-with-histmerging may be required... Thanks, CrowCaw 22:17, 30 October 2014 (UTC)

Hi Crow, there was one main contributor to the article and the rest of the edits were minor and inconsequential. I don't think this new draft is a copyright infringement of the original. It certainly isn't written as well. There were some issues with the author of the original; she claims she was coerced into writing the article and including falsehoods. I don't believe she wants to be credited anyway if this new draft gets approved.
I recommend declining the draft in any case because notability is still not established. The subject doesn't meet the general criteria of sportsmen notability, and the "impressive list" of world-class competitions are all in the senior division and therefore typically disregarded, as far as I know. Julia\talk 23:27, 30 October 2014 (UTC)

Just in case...[edit]

Tireless Contributor Barnstar[edit]

Tireless Contributor Barnstar Hires.gif The Tireless Contributor Barnstar
For all of the behind-the-scenes work you do with FP (and I know I’ve recently given you a lot)…--Godot13 (talk) 07:22, 3 November 2014 (UTC)

I left this on your Commons page, but I'm not sure how often you are there. Thanks again.--Godot13 (talk) 07:10, 4 November 2014 (UTC)

Oh, I hadn't seen it! Will look and respond now. :D Julia\talk 18:01, 4 November 2014 (UTC)

Amy Tan Award[edit]

Amy Tan.jpg Amy Tan Award
Thank you for participating in the First Annual Litquake Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2014 in parallel with Litquake, the San Francisco Bay Area's annual literature festival. Your content contributions and community collaboration helped make the event a success, and are appreciated! Rosiestep (talk) 22:48, 29 November 2014 (UTC)

Mary Wollstonecraft Award[edit]

Mary Wollstonecraft by John Opie (c. 1797).jpg Mary Wollstonecraft Award
The Mary Wollstonecraft Award is awarded to contributors who have helped improve the coverage of women writers and their work on Wikipedia through content contributions, outreach, community changes and related actions. In particular, thank you for your efforts with the WikiProject Women writers start-up; your ideas and contributions are much appreciated. --Rosiestep (talk) 23:32, 29 November 2014 (UTC)

Hi[edit]

You've a mail. :) Jee 08:33, 14 January 2015 (UTC)

Serious problems on the English Wikipedia[edit]

Hello Julia. I have serious problems here on the English Wikipedia. Could you please listen to my problems? I would appreciate that if you would help me. Please write me on my talk page. Rankanelli (talk) 09:40, 9 February 2015 (UTC)

SF edit-a-thons on March 7 and 8[edit]

ArtAndFeminism (3/7) and International Women's Day (3/8)!
Art-and-feminism.svg
8 March San Francisco International Womens Day edit-a-thon.jpg

Dear fellow Wikipedian,

In celebration of WikiWomen's History Month, the SF Bay Area Wikipedia community has two events in early March -- please consider attending!

First, we have an ArtAndFeminism edit-a-thon, which will take place at the Kadist Art Foundation from 12 noon to 6pm on Saturday, March 7. We'll be one of many sites worldwide participating in this edit-a-thon on March 7th. So join us as we help improve Wikipedia's coverage of women artists and their works!

Second, we will be celebrating International Women's Day with the International Women's Day edit-a-thon on Sunday, March 8 from 1pm to 5pm at the Wikimedia Foundation. Our editing focus will be on women, of course!

I hope to see you there! Rosiestep (talk) - via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 18:06, 20 February 2015 (UTC)

To opt out of future mailings about SF meetups, please remove your name from this list.

Username or IP removed[edit]

Hello. I don't understand your recent edits to my talk page. I have not seen this before. Thanks. Hugh (talk) 19:46, 20 February 2015 (UTC)

@HughD: I needed to suppress personally identifying material from your talk page, at the request of another user. It's nothing to worry about! :) Julia\talk 20:01, 20 February 2015 (UTC)
ok, thanks Hugh (talk) 20:03, 20 February 2015 (UTC)

A bowl of strawberries for you![edit]

Erdbeerteller01.jpg Thanks for fixing Arthur's page. I'll know to find an admin, rather than userfy, next time I find that kind of thing. FourViolas (talk) 18:50, 11 March 2015 (UTC)
Thank you, and no problem! You didn't do the wrong thing, it was just a bit incomplete perhaps. :) I'll send you an email. Julia\talk 00:29, 12 March 2015 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know, the Featured Picture File:P1160778 Melitaea athalia.jpg is due to make an appearance as Picture of the Day on May 5, 2015. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2015-05-05. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Crisco 1492 (talk) 00:14, 14 April 2015 (UTC)


You're invited to the Ally Skills Workshop at Wikimania![edit]

You were suggested as someone who might be interested in the Ally Skills Training Workshop at Wikimania! The workshop is designed to train Wikipedia admins to be more aware of sexism and is funded by an Inspire grant. The workshop will focus on teaching specific skills and techniques directly relevant to Wikipedia admins and editors, and in particular will teach people about the psychology of trolls. The workshop will be on Thursday July 16 from 2pm to 5pm in Don Diego 3.

If you are attending Wikimania, you are invited to apply to the Ally Skills Workshop! Space is limited and we may not be able to accept all applications, so apply now. More information, including a link to the application form, is here:

Ally Skills Workshop description and application form

People of all genders are welcome to attend. Unfortunately, travel scholarships for Wikimania are already closed and we don't know of any other sources of travel funding. If you know anyone else attending Wikimania who might be interested in attending this workshop, please encourage them to apply!

Thank you for your time,

Valerie Aurora (Instructor and Interim Executive Director of the Ada Initiative)

Valerietai (talk) 22:28, 7 July 2015 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/My Man Jeeves[edit]

Your requested alternative has been added. Adam Cuerden (talk) 19:47, 8 July 2015 (UTC)

Russian criminal tattoos has been nominated for Did You Know[edit]

Disambiguation link notification for August 3[edit]

Hi. Thank you for your recent edits. Wikipedia appreciates your help. We noticed though that when you edited Costus curvibracteatus, you added a link pointing to the disambiguation page Cuneate (check to confirm | fix with Dab solver). Such links are almost always unintended, since a disambiguation page is merely a list of "Did you mean..." article titles. Read the FAQ • Join us at the DPL WikiProject.

It's OK to remove this message. Also, to stop receiving these messages, follow these opt-out instructions. Thanks, DPL bot (talk) 09:52, 3 August 2015 (UTC)

Photos of Costus curvibracteatus[edit]

Hi Julie,

I uploaded two photos of Costus curvibracteatus to wikimedia commons:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Costus_curvibracteatus_01.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Costus_curvibracteatus_02.jpg

Hope you find them useful for the article.

--Eric in SF (talk) 11:33, 4 August 2015 (UTC)

Thank you, Eric! I'm sorry I was teaching you to suck eggs in my Flickr mail, I had no idea you were an editor here and on Commons. :) Julia\talk 22:02, 4 August 2015 (UTC)

DYK for Costus curvibracteatus[edit]

Cas Liber (talk · contribs) 19:31, 12 August 2015 (UTC)

2014 Ebola Virus in West Africa timeline of reported cases and deaths[edit]

Hi Julia

My dummy edit is now complete.. I split the timeline and graphs from the main tables to single page to reduce the Ebola virus epidemic in West Africa article as have been discussed in the past way back. WP:Bold split

Kind Regards Brian BrianGroen (talk) 19:18, 4 September 2015 (UTC)

Hi Brian, good work. :) I hope you didn't think the 'dummy' was aimed at you? It's an actual thing: H:DUMMY. I just wanted to make sure that attribution was appropriately given for the contents! Julia\talk 17:08, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
Hi Julia Julia\talk not at all.. A little pun from me, partly because i have been maintaining most of the numbers since the outbreak started....Thanks and have a great day.. Kind Regards BrianBrianGroen (talk) 17:13, 8 September 2015 (UTC)
Ah, okay! Thanks! :) Julia\talk 19:38, 8 September 2015 (UTC)

Please sign new Wikimedia confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information by 15 December[edit]

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

Wmf logo vert pms.svg

As you may know, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees approved a new "Access to nonpublic information policy" on 25 April 2014 after a community consultation. The former policy has remained in place until the new policy could be implemented. That implementation work is now being done, and we are beginning the transition to the new policy.

An important part of that transition is helping volunteers like you sign the required confidentiality agreement. All Wikimedia volunteers with access to nonpublic information are required to sign this new agreement, and we have prepared some documentation to help you do so.

The Wikimedia Foundation is requiring that anyone with access to nonpublic information sign the new confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015 (OTRS users have until 22 December 2015) to retain their access. You are receiving this email because you have access to nonpublic information and are required to sign the confidentiality agreement under the new policy.

Signing the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is conducted and tracked using Legalpad on Phabricator. The general confidentiality agreement is now ready, and the OTRS agreement will be ready after 22 September 2015. We have prepared a guide on Meta-Wiki to help you create your Phabricator account and sign the new agreement: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign

If you have any questions or experience any problems while signing the new agreement, please visit this talk page or email me (gvarnum@wikimedia.org). Again, please sign this confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015 (OTRS users have until 22 December 2015) to retain your access to nonpublic information. If you do not wish to retain this access, please let me know and we will forward your request to the appropriate individuals.

Thank you,
Gregory Varnum (User:GVarnum-WMF), Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 23:33, 15 September 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

DYK for Colin Thompson[edit]

Gatoclass (talk) 00:37, 19 September 2015 (UTC)

Help us improve wikimeets by filling in the UK Wikimeet survey![edit]

Hello! I'm running a survey to identify the best way to notify Wikimedians about upcoming UK wikimeets (informal, in-person social meetings of Wikimedians), and to see if we can improve UK wikimeets to make them accessible and attractive to more editors and readers. All questions are optional, and it will take about 10 minutes to complete. Please fill it in at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JJMNVVD

Thanks! Mike Peel (talk) 17:29, 20 September 2015 (UTC)

False Sockpuppet Allegation To Remove Page[edit]

Why was I deleted as a user for SOCKPUPPETING[edit]

Please look at the page for Larissa Dubois to review. You will clearly see that there was no reason for me to Sockpuppet the page. The Nom had no WP:Musician guideline when she requested for the page to be deleted. I tried to ask for help from an administrator before Nom said I was a Sockpuppet. My account has been blocked so the info I posted on the articles for deletion for an administrator were deleted. They deleted my statement that I didn't Sockpuppet. The Nom knew she had no WP Guidelines from the beginning to have the page deleted. Please if you verify when I created the page I met all of the guidelines from day one. Why therefore would I need to be a Sockpuppet. During the deletion process only the Nom and I voted. So how was a Sockpuppet used in the Articles for deletion page. I never received any notice that there was a problem with the page. Again, why would I need to Sockpuppet. It only takes one person to create a page so why would I need other people when I provided all of the verifiable and reliable references at the bottom of the page.

Nom had no one in the community requesting that the page be deleted except for her. She knew the page met the guidelines. I'm not ok with being called a Sockpuppet to remove a page, when that allegation is false.

The page Larissa Dubois has been targeted by for Missvain from the moment that she submitted the page of Articles for deletion. She ignored Wikipedia guidelines for submitting the deletion, because she had no valid basis to submit it.


Missvain started a Sockpuppet investigation against me without notifying me so that I could defend myself.

Missvain accused me of being Sophia49 when I am not. I use a publicly shared IP address. We are not one in the same. I am not CandyCanebaby either.

I have one account and that account is Gypsy Diva. I don’t have my own Wi-Fi so I use School, Starbucks, Library, etc.

Again, this article has been targeted (vandalized) by Missvain and her actions by not reading the article before submitting for deletion and the fact that she started an investigation against me without giving the proper notice so that I could defend myself before my account was blocked is wrong.

She is attempting to use any methods to remove a page that met the reason she requested the deletion. WP:Musician.


As a newbie I did ask User:Non-dropframe for his help and I want to make this known because I don’t want her to make another accusation meatstacking (I don't know if that's the right word. Never did I ask for his vote.

I’m requesting that my editing block be removed.

My comments saying I don't have more than one user name has been deleted has also removed comments I posted defending myself against these allegations. Every attempt by Missvain has been made to delete the Larissa Dubois pages. Blocking my talk and edit prevens me from defending myself and providing proof that she has targeted the removal of Larissa Dubois page.

If you are able to read the comments I wrote before I was blocked. Why would me explanation be blocked during an article for deletion. By placing that under comments it makes me look bad. Why would my comment left for a closing administrator be deleted and silenced.

Thanks

My editing account was GypsyDiva.


I'm not able to sign my name on here, but I can provide you proof that I am GypsyDiva if requested to do so.

Reminder: Please sign new Wikimedia confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information by 15 December[edit]

This is a message from the Wikimedia Foundation. Translations are available.

Wmf logo vert pms.svg

I wanted to follow-up on an message I sent you in September regarding the need for you to sign a confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015 (OTRS users have until 31 December 2015) in order to maintain your access from Wikimedia to nonpublic information.

As you may know, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees approved a new "Access to nonpublic information policy" on 25 April 2014 after a community consultation. The former policy has remained in place until the new policy could be implemented. That implementation work is now being done, and we are transitioning to the new policy.

An important part of that transition is helping volunteers like you sign the required confidentiality agreement. All Wikimedia volunteers with access to nonpublic information are required to sign this new agreement, and we have prepared some documentation to help you do so.

The Wikimedia Foundation is requiring that anyone with access to nonpublic information sign the new confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015 (OTRS users have until 31 December 2015) to retain their access. You are receiving this message because you have access to nonpublic information and are required to sign the confidentiality agreement under the new policy. If you do not sign the new confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015, you will lose your access to nonpublic information.

Signing the confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information is conducted and tracked using Legalpad on Phabricator. We have prepared a guide on Meta-Wiki to help you create your Phabricator account and sign the new agreement: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign

If you have any questions or experience any problems while signing the new agreement, please visit this talk page or email me (gvarnum@wikimedia.org). Again, please sign this confidentiality agreement by 15 December 2015 (OTRS users have until 31 December 2015) to retain your access to nonpublic information. If you do not wish to retain this access, please let me know and we will forward your request to the appropriate individuals.

Thank you,
Gregory Varnum (User:GVarnum-WMF), Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery 08:11, 16 October 2015 (UTC) • TranslateGet help

ArbCom elections are now open![edit]

Hi,
You appear to be eligible to vote in the current Arbitration Committee election. The Arbitration Committee is the panel of editors responsible for conducting the Wikipedia arbitration process. It has the authority to enact binding solutions for disputes between editors, primarily related to serious behavioural issues that the community has been unable to resolve. This includes the ability to impose site bans, topic bans, editing restrictions, and other measures needed to maintain our editing environment. The arbitration policy describes the Committee's roles and responsibilities in greater detail. If you wish to participate, you are welcome to review the candidates' statements and submit your choices on the voting page. For the Election committee, MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 13:54, 24 November 2015 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know, the Featured Picture File:Scelophysa trimeni cropped.jpg is scheduled to be Picture of the Day on January 10, 2016. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2016-01-10. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Chris Woodrich (talk) 00:20, 22 December 2015 (UTC)

Speedy deleted redirect[edit]

Can you explain how Wikipedia:Featured picture candidates/Marina (ship, 2011), Sète 01.jpg qualifies under R3? This redirect is useful for editors who know the image filename and want to look at the nomination page. Many templates also automatically generate this link, especially those on other Wikipedia versions. Why should this be deleted? sst 11:01, 29 December 2015 (UTC)

Hi SSTflyer, while the redirect isn't implausible as R3 states, this is the closest fitting qualification I could use. As far as I know, the only situation for which this kind of redirect is useful is for links from the Commons file page to the nomination page here. But that template on Commons for nominations already includes a parameter for linking directly to the correct nomination page. In this instance, I deleted the redirect because I edited the file page on Commons to link to the correct nomination page – making the redirect not useful. I think the case of a user knowing the file name and wanting to find the nomination page by using the address bar is minuscule and doesn't justify the creation of thousands and thousands of otherwise unnecessary redirects. Does this make sense? Thanks for asking! :) Julia\talk 18:51, 29 December 2015 (UTC)
This is still technically out of speedy deletion criteria. Can you please restore the redirect, per WP:CHEAP? sst 05:10, 31 December 2015 (UTC)
Speedy deleting this was not incorrect. It did not require a discussion or consensus. I will continue to speedy delete any more that I come across. You can try to convince another admin to restore it for you, but you'll need better reasons than what you gave me. Julia\talk 19:45, 31 December 2015 (UTC)

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julie,

Just to let you know, the Featured Picture File:South facade of Lyme Park house, 2013.jpg is scheduled to be Picture of the Day on January 29, 2016. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2016-01-29. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Chris Woodrich (talk) 01:39, 10 January 2016 (UTC)

Help decide the future of Wikimania[edit]

Wikimania logo with text.svg

The Wikimedia Foundation is currently running a consultation on the value and planning process of Wikimania, and is open until 18 January 2016. The goals are to (1) build a shared understanding of the value of Wikimania to help guide conference planning and evaluation, and (2) gather broad community input on what new form(s) Wikimania could take (starting in 2018).

After reviewing the consultation, we'd like to hear your feedback on on this survey.

In addition, feel free to share any personal experiences you have had at at a Wikimedia movement conference, including Wikimania. We plan to compile and share back outcomes from this consultation in February.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk), from Community Resources 23:46, 12 January 2016 (UTC)

Towards a New Wikimania results[edit]

Wikimania logo with text.svg

Last December, I invited you to share your views on the value of Wikimedia conferences and the planning process of Wikimania. We have completed analysis of these results and have prepared this report summarizing your feedback and important changes for Wikimania starting in 2018 as an experiment. Feedback and comments are welcome at the discussion page. Thank you so much for your participation. I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, 22:47, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

Bay Area WikiSalon series kickoff, April 27[edit]

Please join us in San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism
Panel discussion at a recent Wikipedia & Journalism event.

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts in the San Francisco Bay Area will gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. We have two brief presentations lined up for our kickoff event in downtown San Francisco:

  • The Nueva Upper School recently hosted the first ever high school Wikipedia edit-a-thon. We will hear what interests them about Wikipedia, what they have learned so far, and what they hope to achieve.
  • Photojournalist Kris Schreier Lyseggen, author of The Women of San Quentin: The Soul Murder of Transgender Women in Male Prisons, will tell us about her work and how she researched the topic.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. We will have beverages and light snacks.

Please note: You must register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on this point.

For further details, see here: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, April 2016

We hope to see you -- and until then, happy editing! - Pete, Ben & Wayne

POTD notification[edit]

Hi Julia,

Just to let you know, the Featured Picture File:Birdy-2450.jpg is scheduled to be Picture of the Day on May 15, 2016. If you get a chance, you can check and improve the caption at Template:POTD/2016-05-15. Thank you for all of your contributions! — Chris Woodrich (talk) 00:04, 29 April 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series on May 25[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. We will have beverages and light snacks.

Please note: You must register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on this point.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, May 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, and Checkingfax via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:15, 9 May 2016 (UTC) | Subscribe/Unsubscribe to the SF Meetups notice.

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, June 29[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We make sure to allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks. We will also have:

  • A brief report on Pride edit-a-thon recently held at the San Francisco Publice Library, coordinated by Merrilee:
    What topics might we cover in a follow up?
    Find out more about resources your public library provides to help with editing (hint, it's more than just books!)
    Special announcement (secret for now but come and find out more!)
  • Join in on an in person Wikidojo!
    Are you curious how your peers approach writing a Wikipedia article? This exercise, pioneered by Wikipedians Nikola Kalchev and Vassia Atanassova in 2015 and conducted in many places around the world, will help us all - from first-time wiki users to veteran Wikipedians - share ideas, while building an article together. If you have ideas (relating to Bay Area history, ideally) about a new article we could build (stubs and short existing articles are fine), please submit them ahead of time to coordinator Pete Forsyth. (User talk page or email is fine.)
    Announcements and impromptu topics are welcome, too!

Please note: You must register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:07, 19 June 2016 (UTC)

REMINDER/invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, June 29 at 6 p.m.[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco tonight!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

If you cannot join in person or want to view portions later:

We will have:

  • Light snacks, and time to mingle
  • A brief report on the Pride edit-a-thon recently held at the San Francisco Public Library, that was coordinated by Wiki editor Merrilee
  • A special announcement (secret for now but come and find out more!)
  • Join in on a brief in person Wikidojo!
  • Announcements and impromptu topics are welcome, too!

Please register at: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cjLRrSTlEkGOPTQ-h6A0WvSFI4ZmIUl6jEHp_RYas-E/viewform and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict.

For further details, see: Bay Area WikiSalon, June 2016


See you tonight! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 15:48, 29 June 2016 (UTC) | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice)

Late breaking invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, July 27 (Wednesday) - change of venue - tonight[edit]

Please join us in the Mission at Noisebridge (one time change of venue)!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

We hope you can join us today, Wednesday, from 6 p.m. on, at our July Bay Area WikiSalon. This month only, we are going to be at Noisebridge, a hackerspace/makerspace 1.5 blocks from the 16th & Mission BART station (see the link for directions). Some of us will be working on the Wikipedia article on basic income. All info here. Some good news - we do not have to be as strict about advance RSVP at Noisebridge, so bring spontaneous guests! (Registering ahead of time is still helpful, as always, as it will help us plan ahead.)

Come and hang out, have some light snacks. Wi-Fi is available, so please bring your editing device if you plan to edit.

Also, Pete just published a writeup of the Wikidojo exercise we did last month. Your comments welcome, if he missed anything! http://wikistrategies.net/ghost-town-royals-wikidojo

The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather at Bay Area WikiSalon to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas. Mark you calendars now.

We allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend.


See you soon! Pete F, Ben Creasy, Stephen and Wayne | (Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 17:05, 27 July 2016 (UTC)

Invitation to the Bay Area WikiSalon series, Wednesday, August 31[edit]

Please join us in downtown San Francisco!
A Wikipedia panel discussion about journalism

Hi folks,

We would like to invite you to this month's Bay Area WikiSalon. The last Wednesday evening of every month, wiki enthusiasts gather to collaborate, mingle, and learn about new projects and ideas.

We make sure to allow time for informal conversation and working on articles. Newcomers and experienced wiki users are encouraged to attend. Free Wi-Fi is available so bring your editing devices. We will have beverages and light snacks. We will also have a brief presentation for your education and possible enjoyment:

  • Former EFF intern Marta Belcher will discuss crowdsourcing her Stanford Law School graduation speech using a wiki. The "WikiSpeech" was the subject of prominent national media attention in 2015, and more than half of her classmates contributed to writing and editing the commencement address via a wiki.

Please note: You should register here, and bring a photo ID that matches your registration name. The building policy is strict on the I.D. part. This also helps us figure out how much food and drink to bring in! Feel free to stop by even if only to say a quick hello, but you might have to give us a last minute call if you forget to RSVP. Also, don't be shy about hitting us up if you have thoughts on speakers or wiki-related activities.

For further details, see: Wikipedia:Bay Area WikiSalon, August 2016


See you soon! Pete F, Ben, Stephen and Checkingfax | (Subscribe or Unsubscribe to this talk page notice here)

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:05, 29 August 2016 (UTC)