Woodside War Memorial on Woodside Green
|Operated by||London Borough of Croydon|
|Status||Open all year|
|Public transit access||Woodside tram stop|
Woodside Green is a green space and street located in Woodside, London. The station is located near to Woodside tram stop in the London Borough of Croydon. The green is over 4.75 acres (1.92 ha).
An indenture of 1662 shows "land lying up on a green called Woodside Green". The Croydon Inclosure Map of 1800 shows an area "Woodside Green".
In 1871, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted 'copyhold' to the Croydon Local Board of Health upon condition that it should be appropriated by the Board:
- "to be forever kept as an open space and used as, and for, a place of recreation for the use of inhabitants of the parish of Croydon and of the neighbourhood and for no other purpose".
Four months later, the Commissioners, passed the freehold of the land to the board "freed from all incidents whatsoever of copyhold or customary tenure to be held and used for the purpose of public walks, recreation or pleasure grounds only". The area has been used by the Local Board of Health and its successors ever since.
In 1888, the Borough of Croydon acquired the neighbouring Poplar Farm and subsequently, part of the farm was included in the grounds of the green.
The green features mature plane trees with benches beneath them. Beside the roadway which bisects the green is a stone horse- and cattle-trough. Although no longer used in respect of livestock, it is still a feature of the green.
A 1905 postcard of Woodside Green shows The Joiners Arms (Nalder & Collyer), Woodside News Agency, E Jupp Family Baker, and The Bee Hive Overton Brewery.
- List of Parks and Open Spaces in Croydon
- Heavers Meadow
- South Norwood
- Brickfields Meadow
- South Norwood Recreation Ground
- Ashburton Park
- Ordnance Survey: Landranger map sheet 176 West London (Rickmansworth & Staines) (Map). Ordnance Survey. 2012. ISBN 9780319232118.
- "Woodside Green: Park". www.croydon.gov.uk. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
- Winterman, M.A. (1988). Croydon's Parks: An illustrated history. London Borough of Croydon, Parks and Recreation Department. pp. 116–117. ISBN 0951348108.
- "Woodside Green: History" (PDF). www.croydon.gov.uk. Retrieved 24 March 2016.