Always on My Mind
|"Always on My Mind"|
|Written by||Wayne Carson, Johnny Christopher, Mark James|
|Original artist||Brenda Lee, Gwen McCrae|
|Recorded by||Elvis Presley, John Wesley Ryles, Willie Nelson, Pet Shop Boys, B. B. King, Michael Bublé, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Erlend Øye, Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience among others|
|Performed by||Shakira at the 2002 VH1 Divas: Las Vegas|
Allmusic lists over 300 recorded releases of the song in versions by dozens of performers. While Brenda Lee's version had stalled at #45 on the country charts in 1972, other performers would reach the top 20 in the United States and elsewhere with their own versions: Elvis Presley in 1972; John Wesley Ryles in 1979; Willie Nelson's Grammy Award winning version in 1982; Pet Shop Boys in 1987.
- 1 Composition
- 2 Elvis Presley version
- 3 John Wesley Ryles version
- 4 Willie Nelson version
- 5 Pet Shop Boys version
- 6 Other cover versions
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Wayne Carson said that he wrote the song in 10 minutes at his home in Springfield at his kitchen table and completed the song in studio with the assistance of Johnny and Mark.
Carson, who had the song about a year and one day, was finishing a recording session. Producer Chips Moman asked about recording "that mind" song, but added it would need a bridge. Wayne went upstairs to the studios old piano, where he was trying to work out a bridge, when Johnny and Mark walked in the door, and he asked for their help to complete his song.
The trio felt that the song was finished and at first could not get anything to add, but Wayne explained that Moman was insisting that a bridge be added. So between them, the two-line bridge was created.
The song was passed to one of Elvis's bodyguards, who gave Presley the cut from the studio. Moman did not produce Presley's recording, but did record the Willie Nelson version years later.
Elvis Presley version
|"Always on My Mind"|
|Single by Elvis Presley|
|Recorded||March 29, 1972|
Elvis Presley recorded his version of "Always on My Mind" on March 29, 1972, a few weeks after his February separation from wife Priscilla. The song received immense fame and critical appreciation and is considered one of the standout songs of 70s for Elvis. The song was released as the B-side of the "Separate Ways" single, which reached Gold status in the U.S for sales of over a million copies. It was listed as a double sided hit reaching number 16 on Billboard magazine's Hot Country Singles chart in November 1972. In the UK "Always on My Mind" was the hit song and "Separate Ways" was the B-side.
Chart performance of Elvis Presley's version
|1972 Weekly Chart||Peak
|US Billboard Hot 100||20|
|US Hot Country Singles (Billboard)||16|
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||3|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||4|
|Dutch Top 40||17|
|French Singles Chart||56|
|Swiss Singles Chart||39|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||9|
John Wesley Ryles version
|"You Are Always on My Mind"|
|Single by John Wesley Ryles|
|from the album Let the Night Begin|
|B-side||"My Angel Got Her Wings Today"|
|John Wesley Ryles singles chronology|
Chart performance of John Wesley Ryles's version
|1979 Weekly Chart||Peak
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||20|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||24|
Willie Nelson version
|"Always on My Mind"|
|Single by Willie Nelson|
|from the album Always on My Mind|
|Willie Nelson singles chronology|
The song was recorded by Willie Nelson and released in the spring of 1982. The song raced to number one on Billboard magazine's Hot Country Singles chart that May, spending two weeks atop and total of 21 weeks on the chart. The song also did very well on Top 40 radio, peaking at number five on the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks and staying on this chart for 23 weeks. In the year end charts, this version was Billboard's number one country song for 1982. This version also charted in a number of other countries.
Nelson's version would result in three wins at the 25th Grammy Awards in February 1983: songwriters Christopher, James and Carson won Song of the Year and Best Country Song; in addition, Nelson won for Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
This version also won Country Music Association awards in two consecutive years: 1982 Song of the Year and 1983 Song of the Year for songwriters Christopher, James and Carson; 1982 Single of the Year for Nelson, and; contributed to Nelson winning 1982 Album of the Year for the album "Always on My Mind".
On July 10, 1991, this version was certified platinum by RIAA. In 2008, the single was inducted to the Grammy Hall of Fame.
Nelson's version was prominently featured, in its entirety, in a season two (2013) episode of the HBO television series The Newsroom.
Chart performance of Willie Nelson's version
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (January 2012)|
|1982 Weekly Chart||Peak
|Australian Kent Music Report||39|
|Belgian Top 40 (Flanders)||31|
|Canadian RPM Country Tracks||1|
|Canadian RPM Adult Contemporary Tracks||4|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||10|
|Dutch Singles Chart||17|
|Irish Singles Chart||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||5|
|U.K. Singles Chart||49|
|1982 Year-End Chart||Position|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||70|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||22|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||1|
|U.S. Cashbox Top 100||31|
Pet Shop Boys version
|"Always on My Mind"|
|Single by Pet Shop Boys|
|from the album Introspective|
|B-side||"Do I Have To?"|
|Released||November 30, 1987|
|Format||7", 12", cassette, CD|
|Genre||Synthpop, Euro disco|
|Length||3:56 (single mix)
8:10 (extended mix)
9:04 (album version)
|Label||Parlophone – 6171|
|Writer(s)||Mark James, Johnny Christopher, Wayne Carson Thompson|
|Producer(s)||Julian Mendelsohn, Pet Shop Boys|
|Pet Shop Boys singles chronology|
In 1987, Pet Shop Boys performed a synthpop version of "Always on My Mind" on Love Me Tender, an ITV network television special commemorating the tenth anniversary of Presley's death, in which various popular contemporary acts performed cover versions of his hits. Their performance was so well-received that the duo decided to record the song and release it as a single. This version became the UK's Christmas number one single that year and topped the charts for four weeks in total. It is their best selling single in the official UK Singles Chart.
The Pet Shop Boys version introduces a harmonic variation not present in the original version. In the original the ending phrase "always on my mind" is sung to a IV-V7-I cadence (C-D7-G). The Pet Shop Boys extend this cadence by adding two further chords: C-D7-Gm7/B♭-C-G (i.e. a progression of IV-V7-i7b-IV-I).
In the video for Pet Shop Boys' version of "Always on My Mind" (an excerpt from their surreal music film It Couldn't Happen Here), Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe are seated in the front of a taxi cab, when an eccentric passenger gets in, played by notable British actor Joss Ackland. At the end of the song, he gets out of the car, which drives away. Standing alone, he mutters: "You went away. It should make me feel better. But I don't know how I'm going to get through", which is part of the lyrics for another Pet Shop Boys track, "What Have I Done to Deserve This?".
In 1988, the duo rerecorded the song for their third studio LP, Introspective, combining it with an acid-house track called "In My House".
In 2008, Konami used the song for Dance Dance Revolution X which was released for both arcades and the Sony PlayStation 2 console. In 2010, the song was re-used for Dance Dance Revolution X2 which was released for arcades.
Chart performance of Pet Shop Boys' version
|Australian Singles Chart||10|
|Austrian Singles Chart||2|
|Belgian Singles Chart||2|
|Canadian Singles Chart||1|
|Dutch Singles Chart||5|
|European Singles Chart||1|
|French Singles Chart||22|
|German Singles Chart||1|
|Irish Singles Chart||2|
|Italian Singles Chart||9|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||8|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||3|
|Polish Singles Chart||1|
|South African Singles Chart||3|
|Swedish Singles Chart||1|
|Swiss Singles Chart||1|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||4|
|U.S. Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs Chart||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales Chart||12|
Other cover versions
- In 1982, Sonny Charles covered the song on his album "The Sun Still Shines".
- In 1985 a version by the band Big Daddy was released on the album "Meanwhile... Back in the States" (Rhino Records RNLP 854). The band used a similar arrangement as that on "Chantilly Lace", with the singer "talking" to his girlfriend on the phone.
- In 1988, Alvin and the Chipmunks covered the song for the album The Chipmunks and The Chipettes: Born to Rock.
- In 1990, The Shadows did an instrumental of the song on their album "Reflection".
- In 1992, Cissy Houston sang the song on the album I'll Take Care Of You; though the album features many duets with Chuck Jackson, she sings this song solo.
- In 1995, Chris de Burgh covered this song on his album "Beautiful Dreams".
- In 2000, Karel Gott performed the German version "Du Bist Alles Was Ich Will" for the album Für immer jung.
- In 2002, it was covered by pop group Sweetbox for their album Jade.
- In 2003, Brazilian singer Danni Carlos covered the song on her album Rock N Road Acustico.
- In 2004, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes (a punk-rock covers supergroup comprising members of NOFX, Foo Fighters, Lagwagon, No Use For A Name and Swingin' Utters) covered the track on their live album, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah.
- In 2005 an American alternative country singer Ryan Adams included the cover of "Always on My Mind" as a bonus track on his album Jacksonville City Nights.
- In 2007, Canadian singer Michael Bublé included a cover of the song on his album Call Me Irresponsible.
- A cover appeared in the 2009 survival horror video game Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, featuring the series's prominent vocalist Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.
- In the 3rd season of American Idol, Fantasia Barrino covered the song and included it on her debut album Free Yourself. The song has since been convered by Anoop Desai in the 8th season, and during the 10th season of the show, by Scotty McCreery.
- In 2008, Roch Voisine covered the song on his album Americana.
- In 2011 Nicki Gillis covered the song on her "Always on My Mind" EP.
- In 2011 Rick Allison.
- In 2012, Metric covered the song in an appearance on Like a Version.
- In 2012, Keaton Henson covered the song on his B-sides and Rarities album.
- In 2012, Karel Gott performed the Czech version "S tebou vždycky přijde máj" for the album Dotek lásky.
- In 2013, Contemporary Christian artist The Katinas covered the song on their album Love Chapter.
- In 2013, the Spanish national Christmas lottery advertisement  covered this song with various popular Spanish artists, including Montserrat Caballé.
- In 2014 the German dance group Groove Coverage covered the song but renamed it as 'Tell Me'
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
May 8–15, 1982 by Willie Nelson
"Just to Satisfy You"
by Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson
by Dolly Parton
|RPM Country Tracks
June 5–12, 1982 by Willie Nelson
"Listen to the Radio"
by Don Williams
"Fire and Smoke"
by Earl Thomas Conley
|Billboard Hot Country Singles
number-one single of the year
1982 by Willie Nelson
by Shelly West
"China in Your Hand" by T'Pau
|UK number one single
December 20, 1987 – January 9, 1988 by Pet Shop Boys
"Heaven Is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle
"Reet Petite" by Jackie Wilson
|UK Singles Chart Christmas number-one single
1987 by Pet Shop Boys
"Mistletoe and Wine" by Cliff Richard
"Wishing Well" by Terence Trent D'Arby
|Canadian RPM Singles Chart number-one single
May 21, 1988 – May 28, 1988 by Pet Shop Boys
"Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil
- ""Always on My Mind" - search results". Allmusic. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- Guralnick, Peter / Jorgensen, Ernst (1999) p. 310. Elvis: Day by Day. ISBN 0-345-42089-6
- "Top 20 Country Billboard Singles". The Official Elvis Presley Website. Archived from the original on 19 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- Elvis Presley Billboard Chart Positions at AllMusic. Retrieved 07/14/2014.
- "Elvis Presley" UK Singles Chart.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 367. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- "RPM Country Tracks for December 29, 1979". RPM. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". ultratop.be. 1984-07-21. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Willie Nelson - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Willie Nelson – Always on My Mind". billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-04-10.
- "Cash Box YE Pop Singles – 1982". Cashboxcountdowns.com. 1982-12-25. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "They did it their way". The Daily Telegraph (London). November 20, 2004. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, NSW, Australia: Australian Chart Book. p. 232. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Results – RPM – Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "charts.de". charts.de. 2006-11-14. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Jaclyn Ward – Fireball Media Group. "The Irish Charts – All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Hit Parade Italia – Indice per Interprete: P". Hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Brian Currin (2003-05-25). "South African Rock Lists Website – SA Charts 1969 – 1989 Acts (P)". Rock.co.za. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Steffen Hung. "Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "ChartArchive – Pet Shop Boys – Always on My Mind". Chartstats.com. 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Pet Shop Boys (2009-12-21). "Pet Shop Boys – Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Release: Meanwhile... Back in the States - Big Daddy (1985)". SecondHandSongs. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "The Golden Voice of Prague / Discography / CD - Für immer jung". Karel Gott. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "The Golden Voice of Prague / Discography / CD - Dotek lásky". Karel Gott. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
Elvis Presley's version on YouTube: