Bridgwater and West Somerset (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bridgwater and West Somerset|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Bridgwater and West Somerset in Somerset.
Location of Somerset within England.
|Electorate||82,936 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Ian Liddell-Grainger (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
Bridgwater was one of the original parliamentary constituencies in England[n 3] (with fifteen years of non-existence in the late 19th century), subsumed into a slightly larger seat on a review of Somerset's representation by the Boundary Commission.
In 2010 seven candidates stood. The second placed candidate was a Liberal Democrat, Theo Butt Philip, 11.2% ahead of the candidate from the Labour Party. The incumbent, Ian Liddell-Grainger is a former Major in the Territorial Army, farmer and defence advisor.
The electoral wards in the seat are:
- The entire district of West Somerset, part of which had been in the old Taunton constituency
- Bridgwater Bower, Bridgwater Eastover, Bridgwater Hamp, Bridgwater Quantock, Bridgwater Sydenham, Bridgwater Victoria, Cannington and Quantocks, East Poldens, Huntspill and Pawlett, King’s Isle, North Petherton, Puriton, Sandford, West Poldens and Woolavington from the district of Sedgemoor
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Bridgwater and West Somerset|
|Liberal Democrat||Justine Baker |
|UKIP||Stephen Fitzgerald |
|Labour||Michael Lerry |
|General Election 2010: Bridgwater and West Somerset|
|Liberal Democrat||Theo Butt Philip||15,426||28.3||+5.7|
- * Served as an MP for Bridgwater 2001–2010
Notes and references
- A county constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election at least every five years.
- Original is usually classified as sending representatives to the Model Parliament of 1295.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "New Parliamentary Constituencies for England SN/PC/04297". House of Commons Library. 5 November 2009. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Ian Liddell-Grainger". Parliament UK. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- Rickards, Kerry (20 April 2010). "Statement as to Persons Nominated and Notice of Poll: Bridgwater and West Somerset Constituency" (PDF). Acting Returning Officer. Sedgemoor District Council. Retrieved 20 April 2010.