South East Cornwall (UK Parliament constituency)
|South East Cornwall|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of South East Cornwall in Cornwall for the 2010 general election.
Location of Cornwall within England.
|Electorate||71,851 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Saltash, Torpoint, Liskeard and Looe|
|Member of Parliament||Sheryll Murray (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South West England|
In the 2010 general election the boundaries were changed: the Stoke Climsland ward moved to North Cornwall; and the Fowey & Tywardreath ward and the St Blazey ward became part of the new St Austell and Newquay seat.
The seat has the following electoral wards:
- Callington, Calstock, Deviock and Sheviock, Dobwalls and District, Duloe, Lansallos and Pelynt, Lanteglos & St Veep, Liskeard North, Liskeard South, Looe and St Martin, Lynher, Menheniot & St Ive, Millbrook, Rame Peninsular, St Cleer & St Neot, St Germans, Saltash: Burraton, Essa, Pill, St Stephens wards, Torpoint East, Torpoint East in the (unitary) County of Cornwall
The predecessor county division, Bodmin, serving the area from 1885 until 1983 had (during those 98 years) 15 members (two of whom had broken terms of office serving the area), seeing twelve shifts of preference between the Liberal, Liberal Unionist and Conservative parties, spread quite broadly throughout that period. Consistent with this, since 1983 the preference for an MP has alternated between Liberal Democrats and Conservatives.
Despite the presence of 'South' in its name, this seat is the second most northern of the six Cornwall seat, and several parts of the seat extend further North than parts of Cornwall North.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Colin Breed||Liberal Democrat|
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: South East Cornwall|
|Green||Martin Corney |
|Liberal Democrat||Phil Hutty |
|Mebyon Kernow||Andrew Long |
|UKIP||Bradley Monk |
|General Election 2010: South East Cornwall|
|Liberal Democrat||Karen Gillard||19,170||38.6||−8.1|
|Mebyon Kernow||Roger Holmes||641||1.3||−0.4|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||+9.1|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: South East Cornwall|
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Breed||24,986||46.7||+0.8|
|Mebyon Kernow||Graham Sandercock||769||1.4||−0.9|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||+0.9|
|General Election 2001: South East Cornwall|
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Breed||23,756||45.9||−1.2|
|Labour||William John Stevens||6,429||12.4||−0.4|
|UKIP||Graham Gordon Palmer||1,978||3.8||+1.3|
|Mebyon Kernow||Dr. Kenneth John George||1,209||2.3||+1.3|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||−0.5|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: South East Cornwall|
|Liberal Democrat||Colin Breed||27,044||47.1||+9.0|
|Labour||Mrs. Dorothy M. Kirk||7,358||12.8||+3.6|
|UKIP||J. A. Wonnacott||1,428||2.5||N/A|
|Mebyon Kernow||Paul A.R. Dunbar||573||1.0||N/A|
|Natural Law||Mrs. Margo K.F. Hartley||197||0.3||+0.0|
|Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative||Swing||+12.0|
|General Election 1992: South East Cornwall|
|Liberal Democrat||Robin Teverson||22,861||38.1||−1.6|
|Liberal||Miss Maureen H. Cook||644||1.1||+1.1|
|Anti-Federalist League||Anthony O.H. Quick||227||0.4||N/A|
|Natural Law||Miss Rosaleen Allen||155||0.3||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: South East Cornwall|
|Liberal||Ian Paul Tunbridge||22,211||39.7||+0.8|
|Labour||Paul Arthur Clark||4,847||8.7||+3.8|
|General Election 1983: South East Cornwall|
|Independent||Mrs. J.E. Dent||94||0.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Fifth periodical report - Volume 4 Mapping for the Non-Metropolitan Counties and the Unitary Authorities, The Stationery Office, 26 February 2007, ISBN 0-10-170322-8
- 2010 post-revision map non-metropolitan areas and unitary authorities of England
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 6)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Lavery, Kevin (20 April 2010). "South East Cornwall statement of persons nominated and notice of poll" (MSWord). Acting Returning Officer. Cornwall Council. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.