Domaine de Canton (liqueur)
Domaine de Canton is a ginger-flavored liqueur imported and distributed by Maurice Cooper et Cie., an American firm based in Manhasset, New York. In its earlier formulation (called Canton), it was distributed by Charles Jacquin et Cie, a company based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Under the name The Original Canton Delicate Ginger Liqueur the liqueur was produced until 1997 in Doumen, a district of the city of Zhuhai in the Pearl River Delta of China's southern Guangdong province, near Macau. It was sold in limited quantity in the United States before high-end Asian fusion cuisine became popular. In its original formulation, the liqueur's ingredients were advertised to include six varieties of ginger, ginseng, "gentle herbs," "finest spirits," brandy, and honey. Its strength was 20 percent alcohol (40 proof), and it was sold in decorative faceted glass bottles of various sizes.
The product's stay on the market lasted from 1992 to 1995. It was officially discontinued after 1997.
In 2007, John Cooper (one of N. J. Cooper's two sons) revived the name and idea by producing a new ginger liqueur called Canton Ginger & Cognac Liqueur. Canton Ginger Liqueur follows a new recipe and is produced in Jarnac, France. The new formula is 28 percent alcohol (56 proof), is golden in color, and is packaged in a bamboo-shaped bottle. It contains syrup made from crystallized Chinese baby ginger, Grand Champagne VSOP cognac, neutral spirit, orange blossom honey from Provence, and vanilla.
Domaine de Canton was released in New York City in August 2007. By 2008, the name of the liqueur had changed once again, to Domaine de Canton French Ginger Liqueur.
The liqueur won Double Gold Medal (Best of Show) in the herbal/botanical liqueur category at the 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. It won Best of Show in the 2007–2008 World Beverage Competition. Proof66.com designates Domaine de Canton as a "Tier 1" liqueur based on expert reviews. Tier 1 spirits are said to have the "highest recommendation."
- "Cordial trade successes 'tween U.S. and China (Charles Jacquin et Compagnie Inc.'s Original Canton ginger liqueur)." Packaging Digest, March 1994.
- Anthony Dias Blue (1 June 2008). "Best of the Best 2008: Liqueurs, Cordials & Aperitifs: Domaine de Canton French Ginger Liqueur". Robb Report. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Reviews , Liqueur , Domaine de Canton". Spirits Review. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "photo". Cocktaildb.com. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "San Francisco World Spirits Competition". Sfspiritscomp.com. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Welcome to the World Beverage Competition at BeverageCompetition.com". Spiritscompetition.com. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Proof66 Summary Page for Domaine de Canton". Proof66.com. Retrieved 28 Oct 2012.
- [dead link]