|• Revised Romanization||Cheongju-si|
A front view of Sangdangsanseong
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||2 gu 30 dong|
|• Total||153.45 km2 (59.25 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|• Density||4,325.5/km2 (11,203/sq mi)|
|Postal code||380010 - 380967|
|Area code(s)||(+82) 43|
Cheongju is the capital city of Chungcheongbuk-do (province), South Korea. The city is divided into two wards ("Gu"), Heungdeok-gu (western part of the city) and Sangdang-gu (eastern part of the city).
Cheongju has been an important provincial town since ancient times.
The government of the province relocated here from Chungju in 1908.
The opening of the Chungbuk-line in 1926 sparked regional development. In 1946, Cheongju and Cheongwon-gun were separated, and in 1949, Cheongju was upgraded to Cheongju City. Afterwards, it went through the separation of administrative dong and their transfer to Cheongwon-gun, with 2 branch offices (East and West)established in July 1989 that were upgraded to Sangdang-gu and Heungdeok-gu in January.
From July first.2014, Administrative districts will be changed
- Sangdangsanseong (Sangdang Mountain Fortress) lies on the slopes of Mt. Uam within the city limits. The fortress is mainly a 3-4 metre tall wall that stretches over 4.2 kilometers in circumference. The present walls date to the 1716 restoration of the site. Within the walls lies a small tourist village that has several restaurants.
- Cheongju National Museum also lies near Mt. Uam, and houses several exhibits of cultural artifacts from the nearby area.
- Heungdeok Temple Site is the home to the Early Printing Museum, and is purported to be the site of the printing of Jikji, the oldest existent book printed using movable metal type. The museum itself contains exhibits related to the art of printing through the ages.
- Yongdusaji Cheoldanggan (The Iron Flagpole of the Yongdu Temple Site) is designated Korean National Treasure number 41, and is located near Lotte Department Store in downtown Cheongju. Made of twenty iron cylinders, the flagpole stands 13.1 meters tall, and was formerly used to hang flags to honour the Buddha
Cheongju is the site of several tertiary institutions, including:
- Cheongju National University of Education
- Cheongju University
- Chungbuk National University
- Chung Cheong University
- Korea Air Force Academy
- Korea National University of Education
- Seowon University
- Cheongseok High school
- Cheongju Deseong High scool
- Keuncheon High school
- Cheongju Girl's High school
- Cheongju High school
- Cheongju Shinheoung High school
- Ilshin Girl's High school
- Cheougbuk High school
- Cheongju Jungang Girl's High school
- Juseong High school
- Sekwang High school
- Seowon High school
- Chungbuk National University High school
- Sangdang High school
- Chungbuk Mechatronics High school
- Chungbuk Girl's High school
- Unho High school
- Cheongju Sannam High school
- Cheongju Foreign Language High school
- Yeil Beauty High school
- Desung Girl's Commercial High school
- Chungbuk Technical High school
- Chungbuk High school of Art
- Heongduk High school
- Bongmyeong High school
- Chungbuk Internet High school
- Cungbuk Girl's Commercial High school
- Cungbuk Physical Education High school
- Cungbuk Agricultural High school
Cheongju International Craft Biennale is held once in two years. It's often held in September or October.
Osong Cosmetic and Beauty Expo is held for showing New trends of the cosmetics & beauty industry and enhancement of national competitiveness
Geum River goes through right center of Cheongju city. Additionally, the tributaries of Musim and Miho flow together in northern part of city. To east and west, there are mountains of Wuam and Bumo. Musimcheon River goes through the middle of Cheongju city.
|Climate data for Cheongju (1981–2010)|
|Average high °C (°F)||2.9
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−2.4
|Average low °C (°F)||−6.9
|Precipitation mm (inches)||25.5
|Avg. precipitation days (≥ 0.1 mm)||8.0||7.0||8.8||7.9||8.5||9.6||15.9||14.1||9.1||6.5||8.6||9.1||113.1|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||164.0||171.1||200.2||222.7||234.1||195.5||153.1||178.3||177.5||200.0||158.2||158.0||2,212.6|
|Source: Korea Meteorological Administration|
Twin towns – Sister cities
- * Welcome to CHEONGJU-SI Homepage *
- http://okcj.org/wp/%7CCheongju International public website
- public website of osong cosmetic and baeuty expo http://eng.osongbeautyexpo.kr/site/expoeng/main.do
- "평년값자료(1981-2010) 청주(131)". Korea Meteorological Administration. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- Sister Cities
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do.|