|• Revised Romanization||Cheongju-si|
A front view of Sangdangsanseong
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||4 gu 30 dong|
|• Total||940.3 km2 (363.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||39 m (128 ft)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Postal code||360010 - 363967|
|Area code(s)||(+82) 43-2xx|
Cheongju has been an important provincial town since ancient times.
The government of the province relocated here from Chungju in 1908.
The opening of the Chungbuk-line in 1926 sparked regional development. In 1946, Cheongju and Cheongwon-gun were separated, and in 1949, Cheongju was upgraded to Cheongju City. Afterwards, it went through the separation of administrative dong and their transfer to Cheongwon-gun, with 2 branch offices (East and West)established in July 1989 that were upgraded to Sangdang-gu and Heungdeok-gu in January.
Geum River goes through right center of Cheongju city. Additionally, the tributaries of Musim and Miho flow together in northern part of city. To east and west, there are mountains of Wuam and Bumo. Musimcheon River goes through the middle of Cheongju city.
|Climate data for Cheongju (1981–2010)|
|Average high °C (°F)||2.9
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−2.4
|Average low °C (°F)||−6.9
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||25.5
|Avg. precipitation days (≥ 0.1 mm)||8.0||7.0||8.8||7.9||8.5||9.6||15.9||14.1||9.1||6.5||8.6||9.1||113.1|
|Average relative humidity (%)||67.2||63.3||60.3||56.6||61.5||68.0||76.4||76.1||74.2||70.4||69.1||69.1||67.7|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||164.0||171.1||200.2||222.7||234.1||195.5||153.1||178.3||177.5||200.0||158.2||158.0||2,212.6|
|Source: Korea Meteorological Administration|
From 1 July 2014, Cheongju and Cheongwon unified, and administrative districts were changed to the following:
- Heungdeok-gu (흥덕구, 興德區) West
Osong-eup, Gangne-myeon, Oksan-myeon, Uncheon-dong, Sinbong-dong, Bokdae1-dong, Bokdae2-dong, Gakyeong-dong, Bongmyeong1-dong, Bongmyeong2-dong, Songjeong-dong, Gangseo1-dong, Gangseo2-dong, Ochang-eup
- Seowon-gu (서원구, 西原區) South
Nami-myeon, Hyeondo-myeon, Sajik1-dong, Sajik2-dong, Sachang-dong, Mochooung-dong, Sugok1-dong, Sugok2-dong, Sannam-dong, Bunpyeong-dong, Seonghwa-dong, Geasin-dong, Jookrim-dong
- Sangdang-gu (상당구, 上黨區) East
Nangseong-myeon, Miwon-myeon, Gaduk-myeon, Namil-myeon, Mooni-myeon, Joongang-dong, Seongan-dong, Top-dong, Deasung-dong, Yeongun-dong, Geumcheon-dong, Yongam-dong, Myeongam-dong, Sinsung-dong, Yongam1-dong, Yongam2-dong
- Cheongwon-gu (청원구, 淸原區) North
Nesoo-eup, Buki-myeon, Wooam-dong, Neduk1-dong, Neduk2-dong, Yoolang-dong, Sacheon-dong, Ogeunjang-dong
Government and infrastructure
The headquarters of the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety are located in the Osong Health Technology Administration Complex.
- Sangdangsanseong (Sangdang Mountain Fortress) lies on the slopes of Mt. Uam within the city limits. The fortress is mainly a 3-4 metre tall wall that stretches over 4.2 kilometers in circumference. The present walls date to the 1716 restoration of the site. Within the walls lies a small tourist village that has several restaurants.
- Cheongju National Museum also lies near Mt. Uam, and houses several exhibits of cultural artifacts from the nearby area.
- Heungdeok Temple Site is the home to the Early Printing Museum, and is to be the site of the printing of Jikji, the oldest existent book printed using movable metal type. The museum itself contains exhibits related to the art of printing through the ages.
- Yongdusaji Cheoldanggan (The Iron Flagpole of the Yongdu Temple Site) is designated Korean National Treasure number 41, and is located near Lotte Department Store in downtown Cheongju. Made of twenty iron cylinders, the flagpole stands 13.1 meters tall, and was formerly used to hang flags to honour the Buddha
Cheongju International Airport provides scheduled flights to Korea and China. The main train station is located at Ogeunjang approximately 8 km north of the city hall. This station is on the Chungbuk Line. Chengju Bus Terminal provides almost of bus line for bus terminal located in other city. ticketing time is between 4:00 am and 11:40 pm. Cheongju Express Bus Terminal provides some bus lines for Seoul(Gangnam, Sangbong, South Seoul, East Seoul, Busan, East Deagu, Gwangju).
Cheongju is the site of several tertiary institutions, including:
- Cheongju National University of Education
- Cheongju University
- Chungbuk National University
- Chung Cheong University
- Korea Air Force Academy
- Korea National University of Education
- Seowon University
Cheongju International Craft Biennale is held once in two years. It's often held in September or October.
Osong Cosmetic and Beauty Expo is held for showing New trends of the cosmetics & beauty industry and enhancement of national competitiveness
Twin towns – Sister cities
- * Welcome to CHEONGJU-SI Homepage *
- "평년값자료(1981-2010) 청주(131)". Korea Meteorological Administration. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- 청원청주통합 홍보페이지(Cheongwon-Cheongju Combination Public Relation Page
- http://okcj.org/wp/%7CCheongju International public website
- public website of osong cosmetic and baeuty expo http://eng.osongbeautyexpo.kr/site/expoeng/main.do
- Sister Cities "Cheongju Sister Cities". Cheongju City. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Our Sister Cities". Bellingham Sister Cities Association. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Interactive City Directory". Sister Cities International. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cheongju, Chungcheongbuk-do.|