Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project
|Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project|
|Location||Tonopah, Nye County, Nevada|
|Commission date||May 2014 (estimate)|
|Construction cost||about $0.9 billion|
|Owner(s)||Tonopah Solar Energy, LLC (SolarReserve, LLC)|
|CSP technology||Solar power tower|
|Heliostats||17,500 × 62.4 m² (1.1 km²)|
|Land area||1,600 acres (6 km2)|
|Maximum capacity||125 MW|
|Annual generation||about 500 GW·h|
|As of February 2012|
The Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project, is a 110 megawatt (MW) solar thermal power project under construction near Tonopah, about 190 miles (310 km) northwest of Las Vegas. The project is being developed by SolarReserve through its subsidiary, Tonopah Solar Energy. The project is anticipated to cost less then $1 billion.
The project includes 17,500 heliostat mirrors that collect and focus the sun's thermal energy to heat molten salt flowing through an approximately 540-foot (160 m) tall solar power tower. The molten salt circulates from the tower to a storage tank, where it is then used to produce steam and generate electricity. Excess thermal energy is stored in the molten salt and can be used to generate power for up to ten hours, including during the evening hours and when direct sunlight is not available.
Under a power purchase agreement (PPA) between SolarReserve and NV Energy, all power generated by the Crescent Dunes project in the next 25 years will be sold to Nevada Power Company for $0.135 per kilowatt-hour. In late September, Tonopah received a $737 million loan guarantee from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
- Alstom selected for a steam turbine and a generator order for a Nevada thermosolar plant
- "DOE Finalizes $737 Million Loan Guarantee to Tonopah Solar Energy for Nevada Project" (Press release). Loan Programs Office (LPO), Dept. of Energy (DOE). September 28, 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "PROJECT SUMMARY". Tonopah Solar Energy, LLC. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Wesoff, Eric (September 29, 2011). "DOE Races Against the Clock: Two Solar Loans Closed, Seven More to Go". Greentech Media. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Tetreault, Steve (September 28, 2011). "Nevada solar project to get $737 million federal loan guarantee". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Illia, Tony (January 23, 2012). "Salty Solution Generates Solar Power During Day and Night". ENR Southwest (The McGraw-Hill Companies). Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project". SolarReserve, LLC. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project". Concentrating Solar Power Projects. National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), DOE. January 20, 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "SolarReserve, LLC (Crescent Dunes)". Projects. LPO, DOE. Retrieved 29 September 2011.