Solar power in Michigan
Solar power in Michigan has been growing in recent years due to new technological improvements and a variety of regulatory actions and financial incentives, particularly a 30% federal tax credit, available through 2016, for any size project.
In 2002, Stanford R. Ovshinsky built a factory in Auburn Hills, Michigan to build low cost Uni-Solar panels using amorphous semiconductors that generate power in diffuse light. Uni-Solar became the second largest manufacturer of thin film solar cells, after First Solar, and a developer of solar shingles before going bankrupt in 2012. Michigan was ranked 14th among U.S. states for solar jobs in 2013.
In July 2012, Michigan's largest rooftop array, 977.6 kW, was installed in Canton on the IKEA store. Ford Motor Company and DTE Energy plan to build the largest solar plant in the state, a 1.04MW solar car port at Ford's world headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan. Construction was scheduled to begin September 2014. The city of Ann Arbor announced plans to build a 1MW solar farm at the city airport in 2015. The Ikea store announced an expansion of its existing array in 2015 to bring it to 1.2MW.
The Government of Michigan has taken a variety of actions in order to encourage solar energy use within the state.
The state has a net metering program that allows installations of up to 20 kW of on-site electrical generation to continuously roll over any excess generation to the next month. Participation is limited to 0.75% of utilities peak demand the prior year. Peak demand for the state for 2011 was 21,477 MW.
Renewable portfolio standard
The state adopted a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) in 2008 which requires that 10% of Michigan's electricity come from renewable resources by 2015. A program to add 2 MW of solar by Consumers Energy customers was reached in two weeks, and the state directed the company to offer another 2 MW at a cost not to exceed $20 million.
Systems of 0.5 MW and larger
|DTE Milford Farm||Lyon Township||0.82|||
|University of Michigan||Ann Arbor||0.655||DTE Energy SolarCurents, 2 locations |
|GM Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly||Hamtramck||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Ford Michigan Assembly||Wayne||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Liepprandt Orchard||Pigeon||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Monroe County Community College||Monroe||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Indian Springs Metropark||White Lake||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Riopelle Farms||Harbor Beach||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|St. Clair RESA||Marysville||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary||Monroe||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
|Wil Le Farms||Bad Axe||0.5||DTE Energy SolarCurents|
- List of power stations in Michigan
- Solar power in the United States
- Renewable energy in the United States
- Wind power in Michigan
- Functionality of the UNI-SOLAR® PV Cells
- Thin Film Solar Firms
- UNI-SOLAR Brand Debuts First Ever, UL-Approved, Standard-Production Residential Solar Module Roof Shingle
- State Solar Jobs, the Solar Foundation
- Mich.'s Largest Solar Array Plugged In Atop IKEA
- Ford, DTE Energy to build Michigan's largest solar array, DTE, Aug 14, 2014
- Ann Arbor and DTE Energy announce plans for large solar farm at city airport, mlive, December 11, 2014
- IKEA to Increase Size of Michigan’s Largest Rooftop Solar Array by Approximately 25% Atop Detroit-Area Store in Canton, MI, Business Wire, December 03, 2014
- "Michigan - Net Metering". Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Semiannual Projections of Energy Supply and Demand Winter Outlook 2011- 2012
- "Renewable Energy Standard". 2007-07-03. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Michigan PSC Directs Consumers Energy to Expand Solar Program
- Sherwood, Larry (August 2012). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2011". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Sherwood, Larry (June 2011). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2010" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 20. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2010). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2009" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 23. Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2009). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2008" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2012). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2012" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2014). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2013". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). Retrieved 2014-09-26.
- U.S. Wind Energy Projects - Michigan, AWEA, 2011
- Michigan’s Largest Solar Array Now Plugged In Atop Ikea Canton, CBS Detroit, July 10, 2012
- DTE is busy growing solar panel field beside I-96, DetroitFree Press, March 10, 2014
- DTE Energy SolarCurents Utility-Owned Program Aggregate Output, accessed July 11, 2012