Solar power in Kentucky
Solar power in Kentucky has been growing in recent years due to new technological improvements and a variety of regulatory actions and financial incentives, particularly a 30% federal tax credit, available through 2016, for any size project. Kentucky could generate 10% of all of the electricity used in the United States from land cleared from coal mining in the state. Covering just one-fifth with photovoltaics would supply all of the state's electricity.
A 2 MW single axis tracking solar farm began operation in 2011 in Bowling Green. The largest system on any farm in the state was the 100.32 kW array completed on November 1, 2011, in Fancy Farms. The first hospital in the state to use solar power is Rockcastle Regional Hospital in Mt. Vernon, which installed a 60.9 kW array on the roof in November, 2011.
Kentucky's only maker of solar panels is Alternative Energy Kentucky.
Kentucky has a net metering program that allows installations of up to 30 kW of on-site electrical generation to continuously roll over any excess generation to the next month. Participation is limited to 1% of utilities peak demand the prior year. The Kentucky Solar Energy Society is lobbying to increase the limit, noting that 17 states allow at least 2 MW capacity to use net metering. Three states have no limit - Arizona, New Jersey, and Ohio. Rhode Island has a 5 MW limit, and New Mexico has a limit of 80 MW.
- Source: NREL
|Kentucky Grid-Connected PV Capacity (MW)|
- Can Coal Mines Become Solar Farms?
- Berea Solar Farm
- Berea (KY) Solar Farm Sells Out
- Solar installations in Kentucky
- Bowling Green To Have $6M, 10-Acre Solar Farm
- Willet Farm's Press Release
- Kentucky’s First Solar-Powered Hospital
- Company says the future of solar panels in Ky. is bright
- "Kentucky - Net Metering". Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Net Metering
- Net Metering as a Business Retention Tool
- Rhode Island - Net Metering
- New Mexico - Net Metering
- Can the sun power your Kentucky home?
- "Solar Energy".
- "PV Watts". NREL. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Sherwood, Larry (August 2012). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2011". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Sherwood, Larry (June 2011). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2010". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 20. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2009). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2008" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2012). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2012" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- Incentives and policies
- Kentucky Division of Renewable Energy - Solar Energy
- Kentucky Solar Energy Society