Mojave Solar Project
|Mojave Solar Project|
|Location||Mojave Desert, California|
|Construction began||September 2011|
|Commission date||July 31, 2014 (planned)|
|CSP technology||Parabolic trough|
|Site area||1,765 acres (7 km2)|
|Nameplate capacity||250 MW|
The Mojave Solar Project is a solar thermal power facility under construction in the Mojave Desert in California, about 20 miles (32 km) northwest of Barstow. Surrounding the hamlet of Lockhart, Mojave Solar is adjacent to Harper Lake and the SEGS VIII–IX solar plant. The 250 MW concentrating solar power (CSP) plant will cost an estimated $1.6 billion in total and should be completed in 2014. The developer, Abengoa, has successfully secured a $1.2 billion loan guarantee from the US government for the project.
The nominal 250 MW solar electric generating facility will generate steam in solar steam generators, which will expand through a steam turbine generator to produce electrical power from twin, independently operable solar fields, each feeding a 125-MW power island. Once operational the plant will generate 617,000 MWh of power annually, enough power for more than 88,000 households and will prevent the emission of over 430 kilotons of CO2 a year. Pacific Gas & Electric has agreed to a 25-year power purchase agreement.
|Parabolic trough technology|
- List of solar thermal power stations
- Renewable energy in the United States
- Solar power plants in the Mojave Desert
- Solar thermal energy
- "US government backs Abengoa’s solar project with $1.2 billion loan guarantee". Energy Efficiency News. 19 September 2011.
- "Abengoa Solar, Inc. (Mojave Solar)". Loan Guarantee Program. DOE. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Loans - Award Summay: Mojave Solar LLC". U.S. Government. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Advice Letters 3876-E and 3876-E-A" (PDF). California Public Utilities Commission. January 11, 2012. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Mojave Solar Project". Plants under construction. Abengoa Solar. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Abengoa Mojave Solar Project". SolarPACES. National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), U.S. Dept. of Energy (DOE). October 20, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Abengoa Mojave Solar Project Power Plant Licensing Case". California Energy Commission. July 18, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Abengoa Mojave Solar Power Plant (CACA 52096)". Renewable Energy Priority Projects. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Dept. of the Interior (DOI). July 15, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2012.