Solar power in Mississippi
Solar power in Mississippi is an underutilized generation method; however, large changes are expected by 2016. The state reached only 1MW of grid-connected solar electricity in 2013. One study found that PV on rooftops can provide 22% of all electricity used in Mississippi.
In 2011, the Sierra Club sued the U.S. Department of Energy which was providing investment in a coal gasification plant being built by Mississippi Power. In 2012 Mississippi Power had on 0.05% renewables in its power mix. In a settlement in 2014, Mississippi Power agreed to all net metering, and to offer 100MW of wind or solar power purchase agreements. Mississippi is one of only two states, along with Florida, to have no potential for standard commercial wind power, having no locations that would provide at least 30% capacity factor, although 30,000 MW of 100 meter high turbines would operate at 25% capacity factor.
Georgia Power which provides energy in southeast Mississippi has started a program to contract for 210MW of solar power in 2014, possibly increasing to 525MW. 100MW would be from small scale distributed installations.
Offering net metering is required by federal law, but Mississippi is one of only four states to not have adopted a statewide policy on net metering, which means it needs to be negotiated with the utility.
|Mississippi Grid-Connected PV Capacity (MW)|
- Report Argues for a Decentralized System of Renewable Power Generation
- Sierra Club suing DOE over Kemper coal plant, Mississippi Business Journal, March 11,2011
- pv-magazine.com/news/details/beitrag/mississippi-power-unopposed-to-net-metering--eyes-100-mw-re-procurement_100016057/#ixzz3EY0gokyx Mississippi Power unopposed to net metering, eyes 100 MW RE procurement], pv magazine, 11 August 2014
- Mississippi Wind Power
- Advanced Solar Initiative, Georgia Power
- Freeing the grid
- "PV Watts". NREL. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Sherwood, Larry (August 2012). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2011". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- Sherwood, Larry (June 2011). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2010". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 20. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2010). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2009". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). Retrieved 2010-07-28.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2009). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2008" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2012). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2012" (PDF). Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). p. 16. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- Sherwood, Larry (July 2014). "U.S. Solar Market Trends 2013". Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). Retrieved 2014-09-26.