Shettleston railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Baile Nighean Sheadna|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|PTE||Strathclyde Partnership for Transport|
|Original company||North British Railway|
|Pre-grouping||North British Railway|
|1 February 1871||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Shettleston from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Shettleston railway station serves the Shettleston area of Glasgow, Scotland and is 3½ miles (5 km) east of Glasgow Queen Street railway station on the North Clyde Line. The station is managed by ScotRail.
Shettleston was opened on 1 February 1871 when the Coatbridge Branch of the North British Railway opened. In 1877, the station became a junction with the opening of the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway with the commencement of freight services to Bothwell on 1 November 1877 and passenger services on 1 April 1878.
In 2010, Shettleston station received bilingual name boards, in English and Gaelic, the Gaelic reading "Baile Nighean Sheadna". Shettleston station facilities include a ticket office, ticket vending machine, waiting shelter, footbridge, clock, train information displays and seating. The station has two platforms. There is also a car park and a cycle parking stand.
In 2011, work commenced on a replacement footbridge, due to the poor condition of the existing one.
From Shettleston, Monday to Saturday daytimes there is a train every 15 minutes towards Glasgow Queen Street and beyond (Balloch/Helensburgh Central) westbound and Airdrie/Edinburgh Waverley) eastbound. Evenings and Sundays there is a half-hourly service in each direction.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
North Clyde Line
|Garrowhill||North British Railway
Coatbridge Branch (NBR)
|Mount Vernon North||North British Railway
Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
- Butt 1995, p. 210
- RAILSCOT on Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- "RAILSCOT on Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway)". Retrieved 4 September 2011.
- "RAILSCOT on Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway". Retrieved 4 September 2011.
|This Glasgow railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|