Islam in Kuwait
|Islam by country|
Islam is the main religion of the citizens of Kuwait and the majority of Kuwait's citizen population is Muslim; there are no official figures, but it is estimated that 60-70% are Sunni and 30-40% are Shias.
In 2001, there were 525,000 Sunni Kuwaiti citizens, 300,000 Shia Kuwaiti citizens and 820,000 Kuwaiti citizens in total thus Sunnis formed 64% and Shias formed 36.5% of the Kuwaiti citizen population. In 2002, the US Department of State reported that Shia Kuwaitis formed 30%-40% of Kuwait's citizen population, noting there were 525,000 Sunni Kuwaiti citizens and 855,000 Kuwaiti citizens in total (61% Sunnis, 39% Shias). In 2004, there were 600,000 Sunni Kuwaitis citizens, 300,000-350,000 Shia Kuwaiti citizens and 913,000 Kuwaiti citizens in total. In 2008, the Strategic Studies Institute reported that 40% of Kuwaiti citizens were Shias.
The population of Kuwait is ethnically diverse, due to migration and large expatriate communities. Kuwaitis represent 45% of the total population. There are several groups of natives in Kuwait; the largest native groups are Arabs and Persians.
The large expatriate community accounts for between half and two-thirds of the population, with Kuwait government figures stating the higher proportion. It is composed of Arabs from other countries, Iranians, Pakistanis and Indians.
- List of mosques in Kuwait
- Grand Mosque (Kuwait)
- Religion in Kuwait
- Imam Hussein Mosque (Kuwait)
- Imam Baqir Mosque
- "The New Middle East, Turkey, and the Search for Regional Stability" (PDF). Strategic Studies Institute. April 2008. p. 93.
- "International Religious Freedom Report". US State Department. 2001.
- "International Religious Freedom Report". US State Department. 2002.
- "International Religious Freedom Report". US State Department. 2004.
- "Kuwait". CIA Factbook.
- "Two ethnicities, three generations: Phonological variation and change in Kuwait" (PDF). Newcastle University. 2010.
- "Kuwait and Iran". Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. 28 August 1989.
- "Population of Kuwait". Government of Kuwait. 30 June 2008.
|This Islam by country-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kuwait-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|