London Buses route K5
Alexander Dennis Enviro200 Dart on route K5
|Vehicle||Optare Solo 8.5m|
|Peak vehicle requirement||3|
|Night-time||No night service|
|Length||12 miles (19 km)|
|Level||Monday to Saturday|
|Frequency||About every 60 minutes|
|Journey time||56–84 minutes|
|Operates||06:10 until 20:41|
The K5 has undergone a thorough and frequent rerouting throughout its history. The route was launched in December 1989 as a one-way loop from Kingston to New Malden. In June 1990 the route was rerouted to serve Kingston Hospital and extended to serve New Malden police station. A month later, the route was extended from New Malden Police Station to New Malden railway station via New Malden High Street. In May 1993, the route was rerouted again after operation was passed to London & Country. In July 1998, the route was passed to Arriva Croydon & North Surrey and consequently extended to North Cheam Victoria House via Motspur Park railway station, Malden Manor railway station, Worcester Park railway station and Worcester Park High Street, however in July 1999 TGM won the route's contract and in November 2000 rerouted it from South Lane to Raynes Park railway station and was extended from Kingston to Ham. In June 2001 Mitcham Belle got hold of it and extended it to Morden tube station. The route has not been altered since then, however in August 2004 Centra took over Mitcham Belle's bus operations and in February 2006 Transdev London took it over.
The K5's contract was originally going to be discontinued in June 2006. However, after public consultation and pressure from travellers' groups, TfL agreed to keep it running, citing a 'clear public need'. However, the bus route was omitted from a TfL map shortly after it was saved, raising the ire of North Kingston residents. Quality Line finally got hold of it in August 2011.
- Morden Station
- Wimbledon Chase Station
- Raynes Park Station
- Motspur Park Station
- New Malden
- Kingston Hospital
- Norbiton Station
- Kingston Station
- Cromwell Road (and Bus Station)
- Ham Beaufort Road
- Glover, John (2006). London Country. Ian Allan Publishing. p. 149. ISBN 0-7110-3121-5.
- "Bus users to keep 'crucial' K5 route". Surrey Comet. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "K5 bus route disappears from new TFL map – despite rescue". Surrey Comet. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "K5 on the road". Epsom Coaches. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "Transport for London consults on Kingston K5 bus route". Surrey Comet. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Petition launched to improve K5 bus service". This Is Local London. Retrieved 30 December 2013.