59th Street (Manhattan)
Looking west from the east end of 59th
|West end||Twelfth Avenue|
|Columbus Circle, Grand Army Plaza|
|East end||Sutton Place|
59th Street/Central Park South in the New York City borough of Manhattan runs east-west, from York Avenue/Sutton Place to the West Side Highway, with a discontinuity between Ninth Avenue/Columbus Avenue and Eighth Avenue/Central Park West for the Time Warner Center. Although it is bi-directional for its length under Central Park, the section of 59th Street between Ninth and Eleventh Avenue/West End Avenue is one-way westbound, and the section between Fifth Avenue and Second Avenue is one-way eastbound. At Second Avenue, 59th Street branches off onto the Queensboro Bridge, which is often referred to as the 59th Street Bridge, even though 59th Street continues east to York Avenue/Sutton Place.
The portion of the street along Central Park is signed as Central Park South, as it forms the southern border of Central Park. The designation is applied to the street from Columbus Circle at Eighth Avenue on the west to Grand Army Plaza at Fifth Avenue on the east. Entry into Central Park is provided at Scholar's Gate at Fifth Avenue, Artist's Gate at Sixth Avenue, Artisan's Gate at Seventh Avenue, and Merchant's Gate at Columbus Circle. Central Park South contains four famous upscale hotels: the Plaza Hotel, the Ritz-Carlton (Central Park), which is the flagship of the Ritz-Carlton chain, the Park Lane, and JW Marriott Essex House.
North of 59th Street, the Manhattan neighborhoods of the Upper West Side and Upper East Side continue on either side of Central Park. On the West Side, Manhattan's numbered avenues are renamed north of 59th Street, with Eighth Avenue renamed Central Park West, Ninth Avenue becoming Columbus Avenue, Tenth Avenue renamed as Amsterdam Avenue, and Eleventh Avenue becoming West End Avenue.
- Roosevelt Island Tramway at Second Avenue
- Bloomingdale's Department Store at Lexington Avenue
- Bloomberg World Headquarters/One Beacon Court/LeCerq Between Third Ave and Lexington Ave
- 59E59 Theaters an Off-Broadway theater complex between Park & Madison Avenues
- General Motors Building at Fifth Avenue
- Plaza Hotel at Fifth Avenue
- Central Park
- Grand Army Plaza
- Trump International Hotel and Tower at Columbus Circle
- 2 Columbus Circle
- Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle
- St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center at 10th Avenue
- IRT Powerhouse fills the entire block between 58th to 59th Street, and from 11th to 12th Avenues.
- Hudson River Park extends along the Hudson River from Battery Park to 59th Street.
- 59th Street:A New York Songline- Virtual walking tour