Rochford and Southend East (UK Parliament constituency)
|Rochford and Southend East|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Rochford and Southend East in Essex.
Location of Essex within England.
|Electorate||71,131 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||James Duddridge (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Southend East, Rochford|
|European Parliament constituency||East of England|
1997-2010: The Borough of Southend-on-Sea wards of Milton, St Luke's, Shoebury, Southchurch, Thorpe, and Victoria; and the District of Rochford wards of Barling and Sutton, Foulness and Great Wakering East, Great Wakering Central, Great Wakering West, Rochford Eastwood, Rochford Roche, and Rochford St Andrews.
2010-present: The Borough of Southend-on-Sea wards of Kursaal, Milton, St Luke’s, Shoeburyness, Southchurch, Thorpe, Victoria, and West Shoebury; and the District of Rochford wards of Barling and Sutton, Foulness and Great Wakering, and Rochford.
Rochford and Southend East had a relatively marginal Conservative majority on its 1997 creation, as it had some of Labour's stronger wards in Southend, such as Kursaal and Victoria, with the party nearly gaining its predecessor seat Southend East in a by-election in 1980, though in the elections since a much larger majority suggests a Conservative safe seat. Dependency on social housing and unemployment benefit in the constituency is low and in the Rochford local council only 14.5% of households do not have a car (band 5 of 5 in the 2011 census) whereas 27% of households in the Southend part lack a car (band 2 of 5).
Currently the 31 Council seats held in Rochford and Southend East are 7 Conservative (from Rochford), 10 Independent, 7 Labour, 5 Conservative and 2 UKIP (from Southend).
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Rochford and Southend East|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Gwizdala|
|General Election 2010: Rochford and Southend East|
|Liberal Democrat||Graham Longley||8,084||19.4||+4.7|
|Independent||Anthony Brian Chytry||611||1.5||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Rochford and Southend East|
|Liberal Democrat||Graham Longley||5,967||15.1||+7.7|
|General Election 2001: Rochford and Southend East|
|Liberal Democrat||Stephen Newton||2,780||7.4||-2.0|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Rochford and Southend East|
|Liberal Democrat||Paula Smith||4,387||9.4|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Southend East by-election,1980
- 2001 Census
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- 2011 census interactive maps
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- BBC News, 7 May 2010
- "Prospective Parliamentary Candidates". Labour Party. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- "Rochford and Southend East & Southend West". Liberal Democrats. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- "Eastern Counties Region". UKIP. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "Rochford and Southend East Announces Its BNP Parliamentary Candidate". BNP. 6 December 2009. Retrieved 15 March 2010.[dead link]
- "Green Party Parlimentary Candidate". South East Essex Green Party. 6 May 2010 [sic]. Retrieved 3 April 2010. Check date values in: