Rosebud County, Montana
|Rosebud County, Montana|
The Rosebud County Courthouse in Forsyth. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1986
Location in the state of Montana
Montana's location in the U.S.
|• Total||5,027 sq mi (13,020 km2)|
|• Land||5,012 sq mi (12,981 km2)|
|• Water||15 sq mi (39 km2), 0.29%|
- Garfield County, Montana - north
- Custer County, Montana - east
- Powder River County, Montana - southeast
- Big Horn County, Montana - south
- Treasure County, Montana - west
- Yellowstone County, Montana - western touch
- Musselshell County, Montana - west
- Petroleum County, Montana - northwest
||Petroleum County||Garfield County|
|Treasure County, Yellowstone County, and Musselshell County||Custer County|
|Big Horn County||Powder River County|
National protected area
- Custer National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,383 people, 3,307 households, and 2,417 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 3,912 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 64.40% White, 0.23% Black or African American, 32.41% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.65% from other races, and 2.01% from two or more races. 2.33% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 19.8% were of German, 7.2% Irish, 7.1% English and 6.9% Norwegian ancestry according to Census 2000. 87.6% spoke English, 8.3% Cheyenne, 1.9% Spanish and 1.0% German as their first language.
There were 3,307 households out of which 38.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.00% were married couples living together, 11.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.90% were non-families. 24.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.34.
In the county the population was spread out with 33.50% under the age of 18, 7.20% from 18 to 24, 25.70% from 25 to 44, 24.80% from 45 to 64, and 8.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 100.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $35,898, and the median income for a family was $41,631. Males had a median income of $38,688 versus $20,640 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,032. About 17.80% of families and 22.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.80% of those under age 18 and 15.10% of those age 65 or over.
- Heather Sharfeddin, novelist, grew up in Rosebud County.
Don Bradley, Master Mechanic and Restorer of vintage Steam Engines- His most famous is the rescue of an Avery Steam Engine his family once owned- Don grew up in Rosebud County and still resides in Forsyth. http://steamtraction.farmcollector.com/Implements/SLEEPING-GIANT-AWAKENED-AFTER-FIFTY-YEARS.aspx
- List of cemeteries in Rosebud County, Montana
- List of lakes in Rosebud County, Montana
- List of mountains in Rosebud County, Montana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Rosebud County, Montana
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2010 Gazetteer Files". Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.