The Amazing Race 4
|The Amazing Race 4|
|Season run||May 29, 2003
– August 21, 2003
|Filming dates||January 18, 2003
– February 14, 2003
|No. of episodes||13|
|Winning team||Reichen Lehmkuhl & Chip Arndt|
|Distance traveled||44,000 miles (71,000 km)|
|No. of legs||13|
|Season 3 ◄ Chronology ► Season 5|
The Amazing Race 4 is the fourth installment of the reality television show on US television The Amazing Race. The Amazing Race 4 featured 12 teams of two, with a pre-existing relationship, in a race around the world. It premiered on May 29, 2003 and ended on August 21, 2003.
The complete season was released on DVD, November 29, 2011, exclusively on Amazon.com via its CreateSpace program
- 1 Production
- 2 Results
- 3 Episode title quotes
- 4 Prizes
- 5 Race summary
- 5.1 Leg 1 (United States → Italy)
- 5.2 Leg 2 (Italy)
- 5.3 Leg 3 (Italy → Austria)
- 5.4 Leg 4 (Austria → France)
- 5.5 Leg 5 (France → The Netherlands)
- 5.6 Leg 6 (The Netherlands → India)
- 5.7 Leg 7 (India)
- 5.8 Leg 8 (India → Malaysia)
- 5.9 Leg 9 (Malaysia)
- 5.10 Leg 10 (Malaysia → South Korea)
- 5.11 Leg 11 (South Korea → Australia)
- 5.12 Leg 12 (Australia)
- 5.13 Leg 13 (Australia → United States)
- 6 Ratings
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Development and filming
The fourth season of The Amazing Race spanned 44,000 miles (71,000 km) in four continents. New countries visited included the Netherlands and South Korea. Filming began on January 18, 2003 and finished on February 14, 2003.
At the time the show was filmed and broadcast, same-sex marriage was not legally recognized anywhere in the United States. Reichen and Chip were never legally married although they were married in a religious ceremony; CBS decided to honor their description of themselves as "married" for the purposes of the show.
Kelly & Jon became the first team to make it to the final leg without using a Fast Forward.
Tian & Jaree were originally slated to be contestants on The Amazing Race 3. However, due to production losing their paperwork, they were held over to this season.
During the final leg, David & Jeff were stuck in Sydney for so long during the last leg that they never reached the final part of the leg in Phoenix, Arizona. Along with Joe & Bill on Season 1, they are one of the only teams in Race history to reach the final leg without crossing the finish line.
This was the last season where ties were allowed at the mat (and the subsequent distribution of additional first place prizes should there be a tie for first place). In subsequent seasons, even if teams arrived at the mat at the same time, an order would be determined, and the official check in times for teams arriving simultaneously would set a minute apart to avoid tying situations. The exception was Oswald & Danny and Uchenna & Joyce of The Amazing Race: All-Stars, who completed a Fast Forward together via the Intersection. This was also the last season where the Fast Forward appeared in every leg.
Post-race interviews showed that Cindy and Russell broke up and no longer speak to each other. Moreover, Russell did not participate in the "After the Race" interview on the official CBS website.
This season's cast included a married gay couple, NFL wives, female models, clowns and Air Traffic Controllers. "NFL Wives" Monica and Sheree are married to Ashley Ambrose and Ray Buchanan, respectively, both of whom played for the Atlanta Falcons the season before taping.
Reichen & Chip separated after the race and remained friends. Reichen later started a career in modeling, selling his own semi-nude annual calendar. He hosted "The Reichen Show" on the now-defunct Q Television and was a contestant on Reality Stars Fear Factor, finishing in sixth/fifth place. Chip became active in gay-related charity and advocacy groups, and appeared on the 2005 reality reunion show Real Gay on Logo. For a time, Reichen and Lance Bass had a long-term relationship.
In 2004, this installment of the race won the series its second consecutive Primetime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program."
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Reichen & Chip||Married||9th||2nd||3rd||5th||4th||2nd||5th||2nd||1stƒ||2nd||3rd3||2nd||1st||Reichen 4, Chip 7|
|Kelly & Jon||Engaged||6th||3rd||8th||7th||3rd||3rd||3rd||5th||4th||1st||2nd||3rd||2nd||Kelly 2, Jon 10|
|David & Jeff||Best Friends||10th||5th||7th||6th||6th||1st||1st||4th||3rd||4th||1stƒ||1st||3rd4||David 5, Jeff 65|
|Jon & Al||Best Friends/Clowns||7th||6th||6th||2nd2||2nd||6th||2nd||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Jon 5, Al 5|
|Millie & Chuck||Dating 12 Years/Virgins||1st1||8th||5th||2nd2||1stƒ||4th||4th||3rd||5th||Millie 2, Chuck 5|
|Tian & Jaree||Friends/Models||11th||4th||4th||1stƒ||7th||5th||6th||Tian 6, Jaree 0|
|Monica & Sheree||NFL Wives/Moms||4thƒ||10th||2nd||4th||5th||7th||Monica 3, Sheree 2|
|Steve & Dave||Air Traffic Controllers||5th||1stƒ||9th||8th||8th||Steve 2, Dave 1|
|Steve & Josh||Father/Son||1st1||9th||1stƒ||9th||Steve 0, Josh 2|
|Russell & Cindy||Friends/Dating||8th||7th||10th||Russell 2, Cindy 0|
|Amanda & Chris||Dating||1st1||11th||Amanda 0, Chris 1|
|Debra & Steve||Married Parents||12th||Debra 0, Steve 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a pit stop in a non-elimination leg of the race.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- ^a b c Millie & Chuck, Steve & Josh, and Amanda & Chris all agreed to a three-way tie for 1st place after the three teams stepped on the Pit Stop mat at the same time.
- ^a b Jon & Al and Millie & Chuck both agreed to a 2nd place tie after both teams stepped on the Pit Stop mat at the same time.
- ^ Reichen & Chip initially arrived 2nd, but they drove to the Pit Stop instead of traveling on foot and were issued a 35-minute penalty. As Reichen & Chip were waiting out their penalty, Kelly & Jon checked in, dropping Reichen & Chip to 3rd.
- ^ David & Jeff had fallen so far behind that they were unable to complete the final leg. Once David & Jeff reached Hawaii and arrived at the route marker at the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, they were informed that the race was over.
- ^ On the Amazing Race website, Jeff said that during the final leg, he did the final roadblock after the teams have checked in.
Episode title quotes
Titles for episodes are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Cheaters Never Win...And They Cheated!" – Sheree
- "It Doesn't Say Anything About First Come First Served...And We're Bigger" – Reichen
- "I Wasn't Even Going To Touch You Until You Slammed My Head Backwards" – Millie
- "Check Your Tires Because...Oh God, You Never Know What'll Happen!" – Steve (of Steve & Dave)
- "You Are Just Deliberately Trying To Make Us Lose!" – Jaree
- "I Could Have Never Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now" – Reichen
- "We're Going Down The Wrong Side Of The Freeway...And The Lights Are Off!" – Tian
- "The Princess Reminded Me of My Grandmother. She Was Very Old But Still Very, Very With It" – David
- "We're Not at Charm School Learning How to Be a Gentleman, We're Racing" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "That's Me. That's My Face. Just Hit My Face. Hit My Face!" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "Such a Nice Pheromone Smell to You; Just Makes Me Want to Stay Close to You" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "He's A Couple Of Ticks Away From Having A Heart Attack" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "It's Like Adam Building His First House!" – Kelly
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg.
- Leg 1 - A vacation to Hawaii provided by American Airlines website.
- Leg 5 - A seven-day Mexican Rivera cruise vacation on Royal Caribbean.
- Leg 6 - A seven-night cruise to Hubbard Glacier on Royal Caribbean.
- Leg 7 - A seven-night cruise vacation to the Western Caribbean on Royal Caribbean.
- Leg 8 - A vacation to Mexico, compliments of American Airlines website.
- Leg 9 - A festive Latin American vacation courtesy of American Airlines website.
- Leg 10 - A Caribbean vacation, courtesy of American Airlines website.
- Leg 11 - A vacation to Mexico courtesy of American Airlines website.
- Leg 12 - A vacation to Europe compliments of American Airlines Website.
- Leg 13 - $1,000,000
|Destinations||Air travel Rail travel Water travel Bus travel|
|Route Markers||Detour Roadblock Fast Forward Pit Stop|
Leg 1 (United States → Italy)
Airdate: May 29, 2003
- Los Angeles, California, United States (Dodger Stadium) (Starting Line)
- Los Angeles, California, United States (Los Angeles International Airport) to Milan, Italy (Malpensa Airport)
- Milan (Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II)
- Milan, Lombardy (Piazza Fontana) to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Veneto (Church of St. Filippo and Giacomo)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Passo Giau)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Cinque Torri)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Hotel Lajadira)
In the Detour, teams chose between Search or Rescue. In Search, teams used a locator beacon to find a 160-acre (0.65 km2) snow field emanating beneath from the snow. After finding it, they have to dig this spot and find a set of keys which would use a snowmobile to drive their next clue. In Rescue, teams make their way to a rock towers and crossed an alpine rescue bridge of 4 steel cables. Then, they have to use a long zip-line to travel 250 feet (76 m) cross a ravine. In the Fast Forward, one team had to find a field in nearby Passo Giau and put on snowshoes and trek to the top of a snowy hill. If successful, the team member would win the Fast Forward award.
- Additional tasks
- At Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, teams must search on a crowded store front and find hidden charter bus tickets with different departure times leaving the next day revealing to an unknown destination.
Leg 2 (Italy)
Airdate: June 5, 2003
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Trampolino Olimpico)
- Cortina d'Ampezzo (Calalzo Train Station or Alpi Train Station) to Venice (Stazione Ferroviaria di Venezia Santa Lucia)
- Venice (Ponte delle Guglie)
- Venice (Rialto Bridge)
- Venice (Campo Querini Stampalia)
- Venice (Palazzo da Mosto)
- Venice (Citta di Padova Boat, Laguna Veneta)
In the Detour, teams chose between Waterway or Pathway. In Waterway, teams travel by gondola and use a map to guide their Gondolier to Campo Querini Stampalia, but could not ask anyone for directions. In Pathway, teams traveled by foot to the same plaza. Walking the city's streets and bridges could be confusing but teams could ask for directions without a map. In the Fast Forward, one team was required to head to the Rialto Bridge and join a group of traveling players to form the street theater known as Commedia dell'arte until the Fast Forward clue appeared in the skit. Once the team saw it, they could claim the award. In the Roadblock, one team member had to take one picture from the doorman, who was holding pictures of four different Venetian masks, enter the Palazzo and search along rooms filled with masked revelers to find the mask shown in the picture. If they found the right person, they would get their next clue. If they chose the wrong person, the masked revelers take the picture and silently walk away.
- Additional task
- At Trampolino Olimpico, teams must use a large inflatable snow raft and travel down the hill. To do this task, teams get in a van and were transported to the top. Then, they had to guide an inflatable raft down the hill at breakneck speed to the next clue.
Leg 3 (Italy → Austria)
Airdate: June 12, 2003
- Venice (Stazione Ferroviaria di Venezia Santa Lucia) to Vienna, Austria (Wien Südbahnhof)
- Vienna (Wien Kanal (Historic Sewers) – intersection of Friedrichstraße and Operngasse exit to Heumarkt)
- Vienna (Johann Strauss II Monument at Stadtpark)
- Vienna (Schönbrunn Palace)
- Vienna (Mozart House or Beethoven House)
- Vienna (Donauturm)
- Vienna (Wien Westbahnhof/Wien Praterstern) to Gmunden, Upper Austria (Bahnhof Gmunden)
- Gmunden (Schloss Ort)
In the Detour, teams choose between Mozart or Beethoven. In Mozart, teams carried a string bass 6 miles (9.7 km) to the house where Mozart wrote The Marriage of Figaro. In Beethoven, teams carry a portfolio of sheet music 11 miles (18 km) to the house where Beethoven wrote The Heiligenstadt Testaments. In the Fast Forward, one team required to search the grounds along Schönbrunn Palace on a ballroom wearing formal attire. Then, one team member must carry a tray of champagne filled glasses through waltzing couples. If successful without dropping the glass and standing them upright, they would win this award. In the Roadblock, one team member to take off 460 feet (140 m) bungee jump off the Donauturm, the tallest tower-jump in Europe.
- Additional task
- Upon arriving at Johann Strauss II in Stadtpark, teams must take a flagged horse-drawn carriages known as Fiacre to grabbing the ticket pass hanging on a carriage door. Then, they direct it to Schönbrunn Palace to get their next clue.
Leg 4 (Austria → France)
Airdate: June 19, 2003
- Attnang (Attnang railway station) to Paris, France (Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport)
- Paris (Gare Montparnasse) to Le Mans (Gare du Mans (French))
- Le Mans (Circuit Bugatti)
- Marseille (Porte 4 Cap Janet of Port autonome de Marseille to Phare de Sainte Marie)
- Aix-en-Provence (Musée de Tapisseries)
- Bagnols-en-Forêt (Gorges du Blavet)
- Saint-Rémy-de-Provence (Chateau des Alpilles)
In the Roadblock, one team member to change four tires on one of these race cars. Then, they do a lap around in a race track with a professional race car driver on the wheel. When they completed the lap, they can make it to winners' podium and get their next clue. In the Detour, teams choose between Ropes or Slopes. In Ropes, teams rappelled down 230 feet (70 m) on the cliff to the next route marker below. In Slopes, teams took a long sloping trail to the route marker below. In the Fast Forward, one team required to find the Musée de Tapisseries and then arrange together to solve a puzzle 20 pieces to form a picture of the Pit Stop, Chateau Des Alpilles.
- Additional notes
- Several teams took a train to either Salzburg or Munich and fly to Paris, France. Three of the nine teams took a train to Munich and fly to Paris instead.
Leg 5 (France → The Netherlands)
Airdate: June 26, 2003
- Marseille (Marseille Provence Airport) to Amsterdam, the Netherlands (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol)
- Amsterdam (Magere Brug)
- Amsterdam (Molen Van Sloten)
- Amsterdam (Scheepvaart Museum)
- Monnickendam (Smoker Statue)
- Muiden (Kastel Muiderslot)
In the Detour, teams must choose between 500 kilograms or 15 feet (4.6 m). In 500 kilograms, teams drive 30 miles (48 km) to Alkmaar on an outdoor market, don traditional wooden clogs and use a wooden stretcher to carry cheese from a stockpile to a scale. Once it exactly weighed in at 500 kilograms (1,100 lb) of cheese no more, no less and they receive their next clue. In 15 feet (4.6 m), teams drive 12 miles (19 km) to a ranch, where the cow manure is processed into fertilizer. Then, they must searched barehanded through a clues 15 feet (4.6 m) of a pile. In the Fast Forward, one team had to make their way to West Amsterdam and find Molen Van Sloten. Then, each team member had strapped on a sails and a windmill set in motion. Once the team completed 10 revolutions, the miller would give the Fast Forward award. In the Roadblock, one team member to get on a marked boat and using only their hands to catch 25 eels and put them in a marked container. Only the fisherman would get their next clue.
Leg 6 (The Netherlands → India)
Airdate: July 3, 2003
- Amsterdam (Amsterdam Airport Schiphol) to Mumbai, Maharashtra, India (Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport)
- Mumbai (Sanjay Gandhi National Park)
- Mumbai (Film City – Studio 10)
- Mumbai (Dhobi Ghat or P. Amarlel clothing shop)
- Mumbai (Sassoon Docks – Indo Universal Engineering)
- Mumbai (Gateway of India)
In the Detour, teams must choose between Suds or Duds. In Suds, teams must had to find an outdoor laundromat in Dhobi Ghat near Mahalaxmi railway station and washed one bundle of clothing by hand. Eventually, they reveal the clue printed on one piece of the clothing. In Duds, teams needed to locate a clothing shop near Kalbadevi Road and search through hundreds of saris to find one with the clue printed on it. Both Detour options must take by train or bus to their Detour location. In the Roadblock, one team member to find a vendor and carry 20 Palai fish out of mixed fish, Once it carry them and bring it to the market manager to give their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the gate of Sanjay Gandhi National Park, teams must choose a bikes through a scrawling movie backlot to Studio 10 in Film City and search the Bollywood sound stage for their next clue.
Leg 7 (India)
Airdate: July 10, 2003
- Panvel (Panvel Station) to Ernakulam, Kochi, Kerala (Ernakulam Junction)
- Ernakulam (National Highway 47)
- Alleppey (Sports Field near Pallathuruthy Bridge at Alappuzha-Changanassery Highway)
- Alleppey (Beach Road)
- Alleppey (Punnamada Lake – The Finishing Point)
In the Roadblock, one team member had to take part in Bull Racing. In the sport, team members require to hang onto a team of bulls and race at top speed across a mud course the size as the length of football field. If they hung on to the end of the course, they would receive their next clue. If they fell off before the end, they would have to try again. In the Detour, teams choose between Baskets or Trunks. In Baskets, teams had to load 10 live chickens into baskets on a bicycle-powered wagon. Then, they navigate themselves to a farm circled on a map. In Trunks, teams had to load 2 bales of coir on to an elephant. Then, they must deliver it to the coir shop also circled on a map. In either both Detours, teams have to deliver them to receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the National Highway 47, teams must search thousands of billboards and find with a yellow and red billboard route marker for find the next clue.
Leg 8 (India → Malaysia)
Airdate: July 17, 2003
- Kochi (Cochin International Airport) to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu International Airport)
- Penampang (Monsopiad Cultural Village )
- Kota Kinabalu (Jesselton Point Jetty)
- Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (Manukan Island)
In the Detour, teams had to choose between Net or Trap. In Net, teams had to take their boat to a fishing platform and use a net to catch 15 fish out of a marked pen in order to receive their next clue. In Trap, teams had to take their boat to a group of lobster boats. Then, they had to pull up weighted lobster traps to get the clue from inside. In the Roadblock, one team member had to hit three different targets using three Malaysian weapons: bow and arrow, a blowpipe and a spear. After hitting all the targets successfully, they and their partner could run to the Pit Stop.
- Additional task
- At Monsopiad Cultural Village, teams had to receive a Malaysian good luck blessing and before their next clue.
Leg 9 (Malaysia)
Airdate: July 24, 2003
- Ranau (Poring Hot Springs)
- Sepilok (Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary)
- Sandakan (Trushidup Palm Oil Plantation)
- Kinabatangan (Gomantong Caves)
- Sepilok (Sepilok Nature Resort)
In the Fast Forward, one team had to drive to the Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary in Sepilok and then they had to hike deep in a forest to find a feeding station in the jungle and feed two pieces of durian to an orangutan and claim this award. In the Detour, teams between choose Chop or Haul. In Chop, teams had to use local tools to chop down palm nut bunches with a clue attached. However, the clues in every one envelope, three were empty. In Haul, teams used a wheelbarrow to carry 25 same bunches to a corresponding truck. When the truck is fully loaded, it drove away to get their next clue. In the Roadblock, one team member had to climb a rattan ladder to a point 50 feet (15 m) above the stone cave's floor. Once there, they could grab a basket and retrieve their next clue from inside.
Leg 10 (Malaysia → South Korea)
Airdate: July 31, 2003
- Sandakan (Puu Jih Shih Temple)
- Kota Kinabalu (Kota Kinabalu Airport) to Incheon, South Korea (Incheon International Airport)
- Seoul (Namsan Park – N Seoul Tower)
- Cheorwon, Gangwon (Hantan River, Sundam Valley – Rafting Korea)
- Seoul (Subway Station 228)
- Seoul (Taekwondo dojang or Restaurant)
- Seoul (Gyeongbokgung Palace – Geunjeongjeon Hall)
In the Roadblock, one team member had to plunge into the icy river and swim under the ice to an exit hole. Once their body temperature rose to a safe level, a doctor would clear them to leave and receive their next clue. In the Detour, teams choose between Strong Hands or Strong Stomach. In Strong Hands, teams used a map to find a taekwondo dojang where each team member had to break three wooden boards before being receiving their clue. In Strong Stomach, teams used a map to find a restaurant where each team member had to eat a Korean delicacy: a dish made of live octopuses known as sannakji.
- Additional task
- At Puu Jih Shih Temple, teams must search through thousands of tiny Buddha figurines for the one with their names on it. Behind the figurine would be a key to a rattan bag holding their next clue.
Leg 11 (South Korea → Australia)
Airdate: August 7, 2003
- Seoul (Hangang Park (Korean) [한강사업] on Yeouido Island)
- Incheon (Incheon International Airport) to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Airport)
- Sunshine Coast (Beach)
- Brisbane (Penthouse on Holiday Inn)
- Mooloolaba (UnderWater World)
- Mooloolaba (Yacht Club)
In the Fast Forward, teams had drive an hour away to a beach on the Sunshine Coast, and pass a lifeguard test by paddling surfboards in a heavy surf. They must pull the swimmer out of the water and return her safely to the beach. If successful, they could claim the award. In the Detour, teams choose between Face First or Foot First. In Face First, teams had to go to the Holiday Inn, Brisbane, where they performed a face-first rappel off of the 17-story building, descending 200 feet (61 m) from the penthouse before receiving their next clue. In Foot First, teams had to spot a Sheraton building with a race flag, and then climb 30-stories to its roof where they would receive their next clue. In the Roadblock, one team member put on scuba gear and walked across an aquarium tank filled with 100 sharks and assorted sea creatures to grab a clue from a small chest.
- Additional task
- At Hangang Park, teams had to fly Korean kites that would drop their next clue.
Leg 12 (Australia)
Airdate: August 14, 2003
- Ferny Hills (Woolshed)
- Brisbane (Brisbane Airport) to Cairns (Cairns International Airport)
- Palm Cove (Wild World)
- Cairns Region (Wangetti Beach)
- Julatten (Off Road Rush)
- Cairns Region (Ellis Beach)
In the Detour, teams choose between Saddle or Paddle. In Saddle, teams must search a beach on a horseback and take a horse down to one of four race flags then search a 25 yards (23 m) radius for a cluster of clue envelopes. Only one cluster contained the correct clue, while the other four instructed them to try again. In Paddle, teams inflated a kayak and paddled to an orange buoy to get their next clue. In the Roadblock, one team member chose a race buggy along with their instructor drove fast along a bumpy, muddy 7 miles (11 km) road. After they finished the course and returned to their partner, they would receive their next clue.
- Additional task
- At the Woolshed in Ferny Hills, teams had to search through one of these large piles of wool for their next clue.
- At the Wild World, teams must follow the marked path to the crocodile pen, one team member must use a feeding stick to feed a fish to crocodile named Sultan, while the other team member takes a picture with Kodak EasyShare digital camera. After they finish this task, they must find a souvenir shop and develop their picture at Kodak Printer Dock to reveal their next clue.
Leg 13 (Australia → United States)
Airdate: August 21, 2003
- Smithfield (Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park)
- Cairns (Cairns International Airport – General Aviation Terminal)
- Cairns (Cairns International Airport) to Kona, Big Island, Hawaii, USA (Kona International Airport)
- Big Island (Kaulana Bay)
- Big Island (Hawaii Volcanoes National Park)
- Hilo (Hilo International Airport)/Kona (Kona International Airport) to Phoenix, Arizona (Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport)
- Phoenix (USS Arizona Memorial)
- Tempe (Sun Devil Stadium – South East Entrance)
- near Phoenix and Tempe (Papago Park)
In the final Detour, teams choose between Wing It or Wander It. In Wing It, teams tandem skydived 10,000 feet (3,000 m) with an instructor to their next clue in the skydive landing zone. In Wander It, teams drove to a mangrove forest and find a boat which they used to navigate out the forest and then to the landing zone to get their next clue. In the final Roadblock, one team member had to swim out to a floating tiki head, then dive beneath the underwater to retrieve a particular rock from ocean floor. They then carried it back to the beach where they had to smash it open for the clue inside.
- Additional tasks
- At Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park, teams must perform a local ceremony with fire from a tribesman. The torch signals to enter carrying three traditional messages for receiving a next clue.
- At the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, teams must follow a marked path to get their next clue.
- At the Sun Devil Stadium, teams must solve the riddle "Happy Valentines Day + White + White," to find a particular seat in the stadium that holds the final clue of the race. The riddle can be solved by converting each part of the clue to a number. "Happy Valentine's Day" (February 14, or 2/14 in American date format) converts to "214", while "White + White" refers to the retired numbers of two players with the surname "White" written on the stadium's wall — 33 (Wilford "Whizzer" White) and 11 (Danny White). Teams must combine this information to lead them to section 214, row 33, seat 11 — the location of their final clue.
- Before heading to the finish line, teams had to ride their bikes on a marked path to the finish line at the end of the course.
|1||"Cheaters Never Win...And They Cheated!"||6.5||11||4.4/12||9.94|
|2||"It Doesn't Say Anything About First Come First Served...And We're Bigger"||5.3||10||3.2/11||8.27|
|4||"Check Your Tires Because...Oh God, You Never Know What'll Happen!"||N/A||N/A||3.7/11||7.59|
|5||"You Are Just Deliberately Trying to Make Us Lose!"||N/A||N/A||2.9/10||7.86|
|6||"I Could Have Never Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now"||5.2||10||3.0/11||8.05|
|9||"We're Not at Charm School Learning How to Be a Gentleman, We're Racing"||5.6||11||3.3/12||8.60|
|13||"It's Like Adam Building His First House!"||6.1||11||3.6/12||9.58|