From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 1046.
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1010s 1020s 1030s – 1040s – 1050s 1060s 1070s|
|Years:||1043 1044 1045 – 1046 – 1047 1048 1049|
|1046 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1799|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)
3742 or 3682
— to —
丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
3743 or 3683
|- Vikram Samvat||1102–1103|
|- Shaka Samvat||968–969|
|- Kali Yuga||4147–4148|
|Japanese calendar||Kantoku 3 / Eishō 1
|Minguo calendar||866 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1357/1358 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1588–1589|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1046.|
- March 5 – Nasir Khusraw begins the seven-year Middle Eastern journey which he later describes in his book Safarnameh.
- July – Ex-Pope Benedict IX gives up a renewed attempt to reclaim the papal throne.
- December 20 – Pope Gregory VI is accused of simony at the Council of Sutri, and abdicates as pope.
- December 25 – Pope Clement II succeeds Pope Gregory VI as the 149th pope and crowns Henry III as Holy Roman Emperor.
- The first contact occurs between the Byzantine Empire and the Seljuks.
- Vatha Pagan Revolt in Hungary: Gerard Sagredo is martyred in Budapest.
- Munjong is crowned 11th King of Goryeo (Korea).
- Ealdred, Bishop of Worcester, leads troops from England on an unsuccessful punitive raid against Welsh leaders Gruffydd ap Rhydderch, Rhys ap Rhydderch and Gruffydd ap Llywelyn.
- The original Hildesheim Cathedral is largely destroyed by fire.
- Song Dynasty Chinese judge and magistrate Bao Zheng (Bao Qingtian) writes a memorial to the throne, warning about governmental corruption and a foreseeable bankruptcy of the Chinese iron industry, if increasingly poorer families continued to be listed on the register for iron-smelting households (while more rich households avoid being listed for fear of financial calamity). Apparently the government heeds the warning, and produces more iron product by the year 1078 than China ever had before.
- Gerard Sagredo, missionary to Hungary
- Gothelo II of Lower Lorraine
- Abbot Oliba, Catalan religious figure