From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1078 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Political entities - State leaders - Religious leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1078.|
- July 11 – The Romanesque tympanum of Santiago de Compostela Cathedral in Galicia (Spain) is constructed.
- August 7 – Battle of Mellrichstadt: Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV defeats the German anti-king Rudolf of Swabia.
- Anselm is elected abbot of Bec Abbey, in Normandy.
- Approximate date – The White Tower of the Tower of London is begun, under the direction of Bishop Gundulf of Rochester.
- Battle of Kalavrye: The Byzantine imperial forces of General Alexios I Komnenos are victorious over the rebellious governor of Dyrrhachium, Nikephoros Bryennios the Elder.
- Philaretos Brachamios abandons his claim to the Byzantine Empire, on being appointed Duke of Antioch, a foundation of the later Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia.
- By this year, the iron industry in Song Dynasty China is producing a total weight of 127,000,000 kg (125,000 t) of iron product per year.
- The Almoravid emir, Yusuf ibn Tashfin, besieges Ceuta. Since the city can receive help from the sea, the siege will last until 1083.
- King Alexander I of Scotland (d. 1124)
- Constance of France, Princess of Antioch, regent of Antioch (d. 1125)
- November 11 – Udo of Nellenburg, Archbishop of Trier
- November 6 – Berthold II, Duke of Carinthia (b. c. 1000)
- Rhys ab Owain, king of Deheubarth, Wales