1828 in New Zealand
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Regal and viceregal
- 3, 6 or 7 March - Ngāpuhi rangatira (chief) and war leader Hongi Hika dies at Whangaroa.
- 4 May - The 40-ton schooner Enterprise, the second sailing ship built in New Zealand, is wrecked in a storm north of the Hokianga, with the loss of all hands.
- 6 May - The 55-ton schooner Herald, the first sailing ship built in New Zealand, is wreaked on the Hokianga bar, with no loss of life.
- John Guard establishes a subsidiary whaling station at Kakapo Bay in Port Underwood. (see 1827)
- Phillip Tapsell sets up a flax trading post at Maketu.
- Whalers Dicky Barrett, Jacky Love and others establish a trading post at Ngamotu Beach, the first Europeans to settle in the New Plymouth area.
- 15 February (in Prussia): Gustavus von Tempsky, adventurer, soldier and painter.
- 23 March (in Scotland): Charles Gordon O'Neill, politician and philanthropist.
- 3, 6 or 7 March (see above) Hongi Hika, New Zealand Chief (born 1772)
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: Hongi Hika Biography
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography: Hongi Hika
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p.508
- "First Commercial Shipyard in Horeke". Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Appendix IV - The Herald (H. Williams, Journal, 8 May 1828; Marianne Williams, Journal, 11 May 1828)". Williams, H. The Early Journals of Henry Williams, p. 479-494. 1961. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- Fitzgerald, Caroline (2011). Te Wiremu: Henry Williams – Early Years in the North. Huia Publishers, New Zealand. pp. 109–111 & 150–152. ISBN 978-1-86969-439-5.
- New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: Guard Biography
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 173
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 457
- "New Zealand Encyclopaedia 1966: Tapsell Biography". Archived from the original on 23 October 2007. Retrieved 11 October 2007.
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 221
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 291
- Wises New Zealand Guide, 7th Edition, 1979. p. 293
- McMillan, N. A. C. (22 June 2007). "Tempsky, Gustavus Ferdinand von 1828 - 1868'". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography.
- Captain Charles, engineer of charity: the remarkable life of Charles Gordon O'Neill by Stephen Utick (2008, Allen & Unwin, NSW) ISBN 978-1-74175-378-3
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First published in 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.
- Smith, Ailsa. (22 June 2007). "Tohu Kakahi 1828 - 1907". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography.
- Ballara, Angela. (22 June 2007). "Pomare II ? - 1850". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography.