1850 in New Zealand
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The estimated population of New Zealand at the end of 1850 is 65,650 Māori and 22,108 non-Māori.
Regal and viceregal
Government and law
- Chief Justice — William Martin
- Lieutenant Governor, New Munster — Edward John Eyre
- Lieutenant Governor, New Ulster — George Dean Pitt
- 16 December — The Charlotte-Jane, one of the First Four Ships bringing settlers to Canterbury arrives in Lyttelton Harbour followed by the Randolph later the same afternoon.
- 17 December — The George Seymour arrives in Lyttelton.
- 21 December — Otago News finishes publication. The newspaper started in 1848.
- 27 December — The Cressy is the last of the First Four Ships to arrive at Lyttelton.
- Thomas Hislop, politician.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Statistics New Zealand has collated estimates from a number of sources (interpolating where necessary) at "Long-term data series". Archived from the original on 5 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-14., in particular "A1.1 Total population.xls". Archived from the original (Excel) on 5 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources — 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical Publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 12. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 November 2007.
Media related to 1850 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons