Aalto University School of Science
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2013)|
|Aalto University School of Science|
|Aalto-yliopiston perustieteiden korkeakoulu
Aalto-universitetets högskola för teknikvetenskaper
|Dean||Professor Risto Nieminen|
|Campus||Urban, Inner City|
Aalto University School of Science (Aalto SCI, Finnish: Aalto-yliopiston perustieteiden korkeakoulu, Swedish: Aalto-universitetets högskola för teknikvetenskaper) is a part of the Aalto University and is one of the four schools of technology established from the former Aalto University School of Science and Technology on 1 January 2011. Aalto University (Finnish: Aalto-yliopisto, Swedish: Aalto-universitetet) is a Finnish university established on January 1, 2010 in the merger of the Helsinki University of Technology (1849-), Helsinki School of Economics (1904-) and University of Art and Design Helsinki (1871-).
Organization and units
Aalto University School of Science consists of seven departments and two separate institutes. The School of Science and its units are located in various facilities on the Otaniemi campus, Espoo.
- Department of Applied Physics
- Department of Biomedical Engineering and Computational Science
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering and Management
- Department of Information and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis
- Department of Media Technology
- O.V. Lounasmaa Laboratory
- Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
In addition, the School is the host of European Institute of Innovation and Technology EIT ICT Labs Helsinki Node.
Centres of Excellence
Aalto University School of Science has five Centres of Excellence in Research funded by the Academy of Finland. In three of them, the School cooperates with other universities. The Centres of Excellence are in the forefront of their field in international terms.
- Centre of Excellence in Computational Inference (COIN)
- Centre of Excellence in Computational Nanoscience (COMP)
- Centre of Excellence in Low Temperature Quantum Phenomena and Devices
- Centre of Excellence in Algorithmic Data Analysis Research, together with University of Helsinki
- Molecular Systems Immunology and Physiology Research Group, together with VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
Aalto University School of Science launched four strategic initiatives in 2012.
- Aalto Science Institute - AScI
- Aalto Ventures Program - AVP
- Aalto University Energy Initiative - ESCI
- Aalto Brain Centre - ABC
The fifth strategic initiative focuses on student care and support with the aim of supporting students and their wellbeing at the School of Science.
Rankings and Accreditations
Aalto University's ranking in the latest Academic Ranking of World Universities ARWU (Shanghai Jiao Tong University), field Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences is 151-200. In Times Higher Education ranking 2014, Aalto University was ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and the best university in Finland for Engineering and Technology subjects.
Degrees and programmes
The Aalto University School of Science offers a comprehensive range of university degrees at the Bachelor, Master and Doctoral levels. The School of Science follows a two-phase degree structure. The students first complete a lower degree (Bachelor of Science in Technology) and then a higher degree (Master of Science in Technology).
Bachelor's degree is a lower university degree, which requires students to complete 180 credits (ECTS). It can be completed in three academic years of full-time study. In Aalto University School of Science, studies leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Technology are offered in Computer Science and Engineering, Engineering Physics and Mathematics, Information Networks, and Industrial Engineering and Management. Bachelor level studies are available in Finnish/Swedish only.
Master of Science in Technology is a higher university degree, which requires students to complete 120 credits (ECTS). The degree can be completed in two academic years of full-time study. Aalto University School of Science offers ten Master's programmes in English. Three of the programmes are double degree programmes offered with international partner universities.
The programmes offered are:
- Master's Programme in Applied and Engineering Mathematics (N5TeAM, double degree programme)
- Master's Programme in Computer, Communication and Information Sciences (offered jointly with Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering)
- Master's Programme in Engineering Physics
- Master's Programme in ICT Innovation (EIT ICT Labs Master School, double degree programme)
- Master's Programme in Industrial Engineering and Management
- Master's Programme in Information Networks
- Master's Programme in International Design Business Management (IDBM, multi-disciplinary Aalto programme)
- Master's Programme in Life Science Technologies (offered jointly with Aalto University School of Chemical Technology and School of Electrical Engineering)
- Master's Programme in Mathematics and Operations Research
- Master's Programme in Security and Mobile Computing (NordSecMob, Erasmus Mundus double degree programme)
The goal of the Doctoral Programme of School of Science is to train doctors in physics, nanomedicine, mathematics, computer science and industrial engineering. The 9 research fields offered by the Doctoral Programme represent the School's strong research traditions.