|Regions with significant populations|
|Greater Toronto Area, Montreal, Vancouver|
|Canadian English, French, Persian, Pashto, and other Afghan languages|
|Predominantly Shia Islam, and Sunni Islam Minorities of Judaism, Hinduism, Christianity, Sikhism|
Afghan Canadians are Canadians with ancestry from Afghanistan. Their ethnic origin may come from any of the ethnic groups of Afghanistan. In the Canada 2001 Census about 25,230 Canadians were from Afghanistan. The former Minister of Foreign Affairs Bill Graham has recently said there are about 80,000 people from Afghanistan in Canada. Due to the political borders at earlier times, some of these Afghan immigrants may have been ethnic Pashtuns from British India (present-day Pakistan) or Afghanistan.
They are mostly concentrated in the southwestern region of Ontario and the Greater Toronto Area, with significant communities in Vancouver, Ottawa, and Montreal. Afghan Canadians are from various ethnic groups from Afghanistan and are able to fluently speak Dari, Pashto or Turkmen.
- Hakan Massoud Navabi - Journalist and Former Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs Official based in Edmonton
- Salar Pashtoonyar - Afghan-Canadian filmmaker based in Toronto.
- Hangama - singer
- Vaheed Kaacemy - singer
- Maryam Monsef - Member of Parliament for Peterborough-Kawartha; first Afghan-Canadian elected to Canada's House of Commons, current Minister for Democratic Institutions
- Mozhdah - singer
- Nelofer Pazira - filmmaker and author (Kandahar, Return to Kandahar, A Bed of Red Flowers: In Search of My Afghanistan)
- Waheed Soroor - singer
- Sima Tarana - singer
- Shah Wali - singer
- Hamid Zaher - writer and gay rights activist
- Rahela Nayebzadah - writer of Jeegareh Ma
- Khalid Sarwar - Serial Entrepreneur, Animals Rights Activist, Afghan Blanket Collector
- "Ethnic Origin (247), Single and Multiple Ethnic Origin Responses (3) and Sex (3) for the Population of Canada, Provinces, Territories, Census Metropolitan Areas and Census Agglomerations, 2006 Census". 2.statcan.ca. 2011-04-07. Retrieved 2011-10-24.[permanent dead link]
- "Ethno-Cultural Portrait of Canada, Table 1". 2.statcan.ca. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Afghanistan News September 5, 2003". Afghanistannewscenter.com. Archived from the original on October 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "The Daily, Tuesday, June 1, 2004. Pilot survey of hate crime". Statcan.ca. 2004-06-01. Archived from the original on October 13, 2008. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
|This article related to an ethnic group is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|