Amend at the 2011 New York Comic Con
|Born||William J. C. Amend III|
September 20, 1962
|FoxTrot comic strip|
Outstanding Cartoonist of the Year (2006)
Amend was born in Massachusetts and raised in Northern California. Amend attended high school in Burlingame, California where he was a cartoonist on his school newspaper. Amend is an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America. He graduated with a degree in physics from Amherst College in 1984.
After a short time in the animation business, Amend decided to pursue a cartooning career and signed on with Universal Press Syndicate. FoxTrot first appeared on April 10, 1988. On May 21, 1999, Amherst College awarded him an honorary degree as Doctor of Humane Letters.
On December 5, 2006, Universal Press Syndicate issued a press release stating that Amend's strip, FoxTrot, would turn into a Sunday-only strip. Amend stated that he wants to continue doing the strip, but at a less hurried pace. This news was followed by several weeks of the characters discussing a "cartoonist" semi-retiring to Sundays only, and what methods he would use to phase out the daily strips. The last daily FoxTrot cartoon was printed on December 30, 2006. Amend also sometimes does guest strips for webcomics such as Scott Kurtz's PVP, Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins's Penny Arcade, and Randall Munroe's XKCD. 
Amend currently lives in the midwest.
Amend made a television appearance on The Screen Savers, which aired October 20, 2003 on the former TechTV. Amend is also an avid World of Warcraft player, but refuses to reveal his character's name, although he did mention in an interview with Allakhazam (a World of Warcraft fan site) that he played on the server 'Bronzebeard' (Jason is often shown or referred to playing "World of Warquest" in the strip).
- Mark Ray. "Elves, Heroes, and Eagle Scouts". Notable Eagle Projects. National Eagle Scout Association. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Amherst College: 2000 Honorary Degree Citations".
- "Universal Uclick - Home". Archived from the original on 2008-02-10.
- "Bill Amend presented 2007 Reuben Award for Cartoonist of the Year The Daily Cartoonist".
- "Foxtrot's Bill Amend Discusses World of Warcraft with Allakhazam". World of Warcraft :: ZAM.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bill Amend.|
- FoxTrot Amend's comic and blog
- Short bio at The National Cartoonists Society (with picture)
- "Foxtrot's Bill Amend Discusses World of Warcraft with Allakhazam". Allakhazam. February 28, 2005.