Transformers: Generation 1
|Sub-group||Micro Vehicles, Protectobots, Voyagers|
|Partner||Hot Spot, First Aid, Streetwise, Groove, Air Raid and Skydive|
|Motto||"War is a dirty game... and I'm a dirty player!"|
|Alternate modes||UH-1 Iroquois Helicopter, Cybertronian Helicopter, Aerospatiale SA 365 Dauphin N2 Helicopter|
|Series||Transformers: Generation 1
Transformers: Generation 2
|English voice actor||Frank Welker|
Blades (known as Cut (Russian: Порез, Porez) in Russian version of TV series) is one of the Protectobots who are an emergency, search and rescue team of five Autobots in the Transformers toyline. They transform into civilian service and emergency vehicles and combine to form the gestalt robot Defensor.
A "rough and tough" warrior who prefers close combat with his enemies. Often at odds with the other, more peace-loving Protectobots.
The Protectabots first appeared in the second season of the animated series with no origin given.
The Protectobots were last seen supporting Ultra Magnus in a last-ditch effort to stop Galvatron in the fourth season. It is assumed that they were restored along with Ultra Magnus when the Golden Age of Cybertron was ushered in.
Blades appears in episode #27 of the Japanese Headmasters series, called "The Miracle Warriors - The Targetmasters (Part 1)." Spike orders the Protectobots, Technobots and Trainbots to destroy the abandoned Decepticon headquarters on Earth. Combined into Defensor, Computron and Raiden the Autobots quickly demolish the building.
The Protectobots are featured in their Cybertronian forms in the second installment of the War Within comic series. In this chapter of Transformer history (which takes place long before contact with Earth), the Protectobots are a vigilante squad of peacekeepers. While loosely affiliated with the Autobots, they are a splinter group (as are most other special teams).
In issue #2 of the third Generation One series, titled "Black Sunshine", the Protectabots were ordered by Prowl to investigate the energy anomaly created by Sunstorm escaping Shockwave's abandoned secret lab. When they arrived they discovered the hole left in the roof by Sunstorm and the deactivated Battlechargers Runabout and Runamuck. Streetwise reported back to Prowl as First Aid repaired the Decepticons.
Blades appeared in issue #2 of Megatron Origin. In this story, set on ancient Cybertron Blades was a member of an Autobot security force in the city of Kaon. His squad was hunting the operators of gladiatorial contests in the degenerate slums, particularly Megatron.
Blades first appeared in issue #24 of the US Marvel series, "Afterdeath!", with no origin given to any of the Protectabots.
He last appeared in issue #36 of the Marvel series, called "Spacehikers".
While he was a minor background character in the US stories, Blades played a very prominent role in the UK Transformers/Action Force crossover story "Ancient Relics", where he was sent to London by Grimlock to find Blaster and Goldbug, only to run into the Action Force - and Megatron!
Blades continued to appear in the Marvel Generation 2 series, first appearing in issue #1, "War Without End!". He last appeared in issue #6, "The Gathering Darkness."
- Generation 1 Protectobot Blades (1986)
- Blades was recolored as the Autobot Fly-Up in 1992, part of the Guard City set.
- Generation 2 Protectobot Blades (unreleased)
- Prototypes of recolors of all the Protectabots were released for the Generation 2 toy line, but they never made it to general release. The few that were produced are considered highly collectible.
- Universe Classic Series Voyager Autobot Blades (2008)
- A recolor of Cybertron Voyager Evac. The back of the package for Blades shows him with a Planet X style Cyber Key, but the toy itself comes with an Autobot Cybertron Cyber Key. The fuselage length of the actual helicopter Blades is based on is 11.64 meters long, where the larger Blades toys has a fuselage 26 centimeters long, giving it a scale of about 1:44. Using this information would indicate Blades would stand about 23 feet tall in robot mode.
- Universe Legends Autobot Blades (2008)
- A recolor of Cybertron Legends Evac. Packaged with several other Legends redecos. A Target store exclusive. The Micro class version of the toy is only 10.5 centimeters long, giving it a scale of about 1:110.
- Transformers Protectobots Evac Squad (2014)
- A two pack of Hot Spot and Blades.
- Generations Deluxe Blades (2015)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
The vehicle that inspired Blades
|Alternate modes||V-22 Osprey|
|Series||Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen|
Part of a Legends 4 pack, partnered with Jetfire. According to the bio on the package he fought the Decepticon Spinister.
- Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen Legends Autobot Blades (2009)
- A recolor of Legends Springer.
Transformers: Rescue Bots
|Sub-group||Rescue Force Sigma 17|
|Alternate modes||Cybertronian car, Helicopter|
|Series||Transformers: Rescue Bots|
|English voice actor||Parvesh Cheena|
Blades is one of the four Rescue Bots who are part of Rescue Force Sigma 17 under Heatwave's command. Much like the Generation 1 character Silverbolt, Blades has a fear of heights.
Rescue Bots takes place in the same continuity as Rescue Bots.
Blades landed on Earth with the others. He was the last to acquire a vehicle form and was surprised that his vehicle mode could fly as he was afraid of heights.
He is partnered up with Dani Burns, whom he is the polar opposite of in terms of enjoying flight. Despite this, he and Dani tend to get along, both of them taking delight in teasing each other. Blades is also the quickest of the Rescuebots to adapt to Earth culture-particularly popular culture, as he enjoys television, movies, and other entertainment.
Playskool Heroes comics
In "Rescue Bots, Roll Out!" Blades was part of Heatwave's team of Rescue Bots — he was the smart one who made up all the plans. When the team received a message from Optimus Prime, they hopped in their spacecraft and joined him on Earth, where he was given the alternate mode of a helicopter. Inexperienced at flying, Blades accidentally sliced a tree with his rotors, and it had to be dealt with by the rest of the team. They eventually arrived in Griffin Rock, where Optimus introduced them to Chief Charlie.
In "Rescue Bots Respond" Blades after some time away from Griffin Rock, he returned to Prime Fire Station to join the team, and introduced himself to Cody Burns. He, Heatwave and Cody were soon called out on a mission, however Blades's broken radio caused problems, and he inadvertently fanned the forest fire with his rotors until the others could warn him away. Instead he found his partner Sawyer Storm helping humans trapped by the fire and assisted in the rescue. Back at the fire station, Blades and the team were congratulated on a job well done, and Blades got his radio fixed.
In "Rapid Rescue" Blades was on hand to welcome Chase and Boulder when the remaining members of the team arrives.
- Rescue Bots Blades
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd. p. 44. ISBN 0-7643-1364-9.
- "Blades (Autobot Protectobots, Transformers G1)". Seibertron.com. Retrieved 2008-11-29.
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Japanese and International Transformers. Schiffer Publishing Ltd. p. 23. ISBN 0-7643-1282-0.
- Transformers Generation 2:, by Karl Hartman, Hasbro Transformers Collectors Club magazine, issue #26, April 2009/May 2009, page 3