Chiang Rai International Airport
Mae Fah Luang-Chiang Rai Airport
|Owner/Operator||Airports of Thailand PCL (AOT)|
|Location||404 Mu 10 Ban Du, Mueang Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai, Thailand|
|Opened||5 August 1992|
|Focus city for||Thai AirAsia|
|Elevation AMSL||390 m / 1,280 ft|
Mae Fah Luang - Chiang Rai International Airport (Thai: ท่าอากาศยานแม่ฟ้าหลวง เชียงราย; pronunciation (help·info) ) (old name: Chiang Rai International Airport (Thai: ท่าอากาศยานเชียงราย)) (IATA: CEI, ICAO: VTCT) is in the city of Chiang Rai in northern Thailand. The airport is about 8 km from the city center. Since 1998 it has been managed by the Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited (AOT). In 2013 the airport handled over 1,000,000 passengers and 7,000 passenger flights. The airport had international flight facilities and served few international routes to Kunming, Haikou, Hangzhou, Changsha, Xishuangbanna, Shenzhen, and Chengdu, all of which have been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2014, Airports of Thailand said that they would expand Chiang Rai airport. The plans include building an additional taxiway and more shops, and possibly extending the runway. This should be completed in 2030.
Airlines and destinations
|Nok Air||Bangkok–Don Mueang|
|Thai AirAsia||Bangkok–Don Mueang|
|Thai Lion Air||Bangkok–Don Mueang|
|Thai Vietjet Air||Bangkok–Suvarnabhumi, Hat Yai, Phuket|
Accidents and incidents
- 30 July 2022: Nok Air Flight 108, a Boeing 737-800 (registered HS-DBR) from Bangkok Don Muang to Chiang Rai with 164 passengers and 6 crew, landed on Chiang Rai's runway 03 at 21:04L (14:04Z) but veered left off the runway and came to a stop all wheels off the paved runway. There were no injuries reported.
- Old Chiang Rai Airport (no longer operational)
- "Chiang Rai Airport". Google Maps. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- "2013 (Statistic Report 2013)". Airports of Thailand PLC (AOT). Archived from the original on 2014-12-07. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- "ทอท.ทุ่ม 6 พันล้าน... ขยายสนามบิน "แม่ฟ้าหลวง"". 29 March 2018.
Chiang Rai travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Mae Fah Luang-Chiang Rai International Airport, Official site