Paddy cultivation between Chidambaram and Puducherry
Location in Tamil Nadu, India
|Talukas||Chidambaram, Cuddalore, Kattumannarkoil, Panruti, Titakudi, Vriddachalam|
|• Collector & District Magistrate||Mr.Krilosh kumar IAS|
|• Density||702/km2 (1,820/sq mi)|
|• Official||Tamil, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 04142|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
|Vehicle registration||TN 31 |
|Nearest city||Pondicherry, Chennai|
|Sex ratio||984 ♂/♀|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Cuddalore|
|Avg. summer temperature||41 °C (106 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||20 °C (68 °F)|
Cuddalore District (Tamil: கடலூர் மாவட்டம்) is a district of Tamil Nadu state in southern India. The city of Cuddalore is the district headquarters. For the first time, urn burial grave goods were found in the village of Marungur in the district, carrying inscriptions in Tamil Brahmi from the 1st century BCE.
The district has an area of 3,564 km². It is bounded on the north by Viluppuram District, on the east by the Bay of Bengal, on the south by Nagapattinam District, and on the west by Perambalur District.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Cuddalore one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the six districts in Tamil Nadu currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Cuddalore district has a population of 2,600,880, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 158th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 702 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,820 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 13.8%. Cuddalore has a sex ratio of 984 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 79.04%.
The district has a population of 22,85,395 as per the Census of 2001. It is 33.01% urbanised. The district has a literacy of 71.85%. This is lesser than the state's average.
Cuddalore district consists of the following urban cities:
- Cuddalore town
- Chidambaram town
- Panruti town
- Virudhachalam town
Other tourist spots
- Silver Beach at Devanampatinam (Cuddalore)
- Pichavaram, one of the world's largest mangrove forests
- Pallavarayanatham one of the good place of cuddalore
- List of educational institutions in Cuddalore District
- Veeranam Lake,Kattumannar koil.
- "2011 Census of India" (Excel). Indian government. 16 April 2011.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Kuwait 2,595,62"
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Nevada 2,700,551"
||Salem District||Viluppuram district||Pondicherry district, Puducherry|
|Perambalur district||Bay of Bengal|
|Ariyalur district||Thanjavur district||Nagapattinam district|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cuddalore district.|