DIY Network (Canada)
DIY Network logo
|Launched||October 19, 2009|
|Owned by||Corus Entertainment (80.24% & managing partner)|
(HGTV Canada Inc.)
Discovery Inc. (19.76%)
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Slogan||Home Improvement Television|
|Headquarters||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Sister channel(s)||Cooking Channel|
|Website||DIY Network Canada|
|Bell TV||Channel 607 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 565 (SD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 273 (SD)|
Channel 459 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 607 (SD)|
Channel 1607 (HD)
|Bell MTS||Channel 275 (SD)|
Channel 1275 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9311 (SD)|
Channel 311 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 105 (SD)|
Channel 405 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 89 (HD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 134 (SD)|
DIY Network is a Canadian English language Category B specialty channel with programming focusing on do it yourself home improvement projects. The channel is a joint venture between Corus Entertainment and Discovery Inc.
Alliance Atlantis was granted approval for the channel under the name D.I.Y. Television by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) on November 24, 2000. The channel, however, was never launched and its licence expired. Alliance Atlantis re-applied for the channel and was approved on October 21, 2005.
On January 18, 2008, a joint venture between Canwest and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners known as CW Media bought Alliance Atlantis's specialty networks, including the licence for the yet unlaunched D.I.Y. Television.
In late 2009, Canwest announced that it would launch the channel on October 19, 2009 as DIY Network, a Canadian version of the American service of the same name. On many television service providers, DIY Network replaced Fine Living, which shut down the same day. Corus Entertainment owned a 12% stake at the channel's launch, which it later sold to CW Media in February 2010.
DIY Network HD
In February 2016, Shaw launched DIY Network HD, a 1080i high definition simulcast of the standard definition feed. The HD feed is currently available on Bell Fibe TV, Rogers Cable, Bell MTS, Optik TV and SaskTel.
- Decision CRTC 2000-495; CRTC; 2000-12-14
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2005-513; CRTC; 2005-10-21
- Canwest bows DIY Canada; Media in Canada; 2009-10-19
- Fine Living to Shut down - Channel Canada Archived 2010-02-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-08-06. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media[dead link]
- CRTC approves Shaw’s purchase of the Canwest Global television properties Archived December 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.