|Type||Television and Film company|
|Founded||September 9, 1987|
|Founders||John A. Davis|
|Successors||Reel FX Animation|
Omation Animation Studios
|Products||Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius|
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Santa vs. the Snowman
The Ant Bully
DNA Productions, Inc. was an American animation studio and production company founded in 1987 by John A. Davis and Keith Alcorn, which is best known for its comedy films. It also provided directing, script writing, and production to its clients.
DNA Productions was formed in Dallas by John A. Davis and Keith Alcorn in 1987, after they left their positions at K & H Productions (formerly Keitz & Herndon, Inc.), a locally based animation company. Up until 1997, DNA Productions had only six employees and was involved in the production of commercials. The company also did work for other companies.
In 1999, the studio teamed up with The Curiosity Company and Fox Television Studios to make a holiday special for television entitled Olive, the Other Reindeer, which was nominated in the Emmy awards and also joined production with Steve Oedekerk's O Entertainment on the CG Christmas special, Santa vs. the Snowman 3D.
Starting in 1998, the studio pitched an idea of Jimmy Neutron to Nickelodeon in the form of a pilot episode called "Runaway Rocketboy", which led to the development and production of the feature film, Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, which was later nominated for an Academy Award, and the television series The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius that was held in original airings from 2002 to 2006. In 2006, DNA Productions completed The Ant Bully, a feature film loosely based on the children's book of the same name, while production on The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius was ending. Due to The Ant Bully bombing at the box-office, DNA was unable to find another project afterwards, so the studio's facility closed later that year.
Until 2002, the studio's mascot was formerly a purple cat with two tails in a DNA spiral formation named Helix the Cat; he was designed by Keith Alcorn. From 2002 to 2006, Helix the Cat was replaced by a computer-animated, three-eyed chimpanzee named Paul, named after and voiced by one of their employees Paul Claerhout.
- Basic Values: Sex, Shock & Censorship in the 1990s (1993) (co-production with Imagination Productions)
- Attack of the 5 Ft. 2 In. Women (1994) (main title animation)
- A.J.'s Time Travelers (1994-1995) (co-production with Gold Coast Company Entertainment)
- Saturday Night Special (1996) ("The Spooners" shorts)
- The O Show (1997) (co-production with O Entertainment)
- Santa vs. the Snowman (1997) (co-production with O Entertainment)
- The Weird Al Show (1997) (main title animation)
- Cartoon Sushi (1997–1998) also (co-production with a.k.a. Cartoon and MTV Animation) ("Nanna and Lil Puss Puss" shorts and Beat the Meatles)
- Jingaroo (1998-1999) (direct-to-video; co-production with Beckett Entertainment)
- Olive, the Other Reindeer (1999) (co-production with The Curiosity Company, Flower Films and Fox Television Studios)
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius (2002–2006) (co-production with O Entertainment and Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- The Jimmy Timmy Power Hour (2004-2006) (co-production with O Entertainment, Frederator Studios and Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- Macon County War (1990) (music)
- The Nanna & Lil' Puss Puss Show (1994)
- The Dark Dealer (1995) (special effects)
- Barney's Sense-Sational Day (1996) (animated backgrounds)
- Barney's Adventure Bus (1997) (animated backgrounds)
|#||Title||Release date||Distributor||Co-production with||Budget||Gross||Rotten Tomatoes||Metacritic|
|1||Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius||December 21, 2001||Paramount Pictures||Nickelodeon Movies
|2||Santa vs. the Snowman 3D||November 1, 2002||IMAX||O Entertainment||Unknown||$10,103,787||81%||62|
|3||The Ant Bully||July 28, 2006||Warner Bros. Pictures||Legendary Pictures
- The Phone Ranger: The Legend of the Old West (1989)
- The Phone Ranger Rides Again!: The Case of Careless Clyde (1990)
- Nanna and Lil' Puss Puss (1991-2001)
- The Tale of Nippoless Nippleby (1992)
- Captain Weirdbeard and His Merry Swabs (1992)
- Hard Edition (1992)
- Foul Play (1993)
- Beat the Meatles (1996)
- No Neck Joe (1997-1998)
- The Adventures of Johnny Quasar (1995)
- Elroy's Toy (1995) (direct-to-video compilation; co-production with Third Planet Productions)
- Radioactive Crotch Man (1997-2000)
- Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Runaway Rocketboy! (1998) (co-production with O Entertainment and Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius Shorts (2000-2001) (co-production with O Entertainment and Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius: Calling All Aliens (2001) (co-production with O Entertainment and Nickelodeon Animation Studio)
- The Ant Bully Shorts (2006) (co-production with Playtone and Cartoon Network)
- "DNA Productions Inc: Company Profile". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- "DNA Productions: Video Interviews". www.animationartist.com. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- Bounds, Jeff (1997-09-14). "Animation company 'going Hollywood'". BizJournals. Retrieved 2018-05-28.
- "The Rise of Jimmy Neutron". Animation World Network. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- "DNA Productions". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- Mallory, Micheal (2013-04-25). "The Life Cycle of DNA". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Santa vs. the Snowman (2002)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2018-05-28.