Reel FX Creative Studios
Logo used as of 2014
|Predecessor||Reel FX Creative Studios|
|Headquarters||301 North Crowdus Street, Dallas, Texas, United States|
Number of locations
1575 N. Gower St, Suite 380 Hollywood, CA, United States|
1751 Richardson Street, Suite 1100 Montreal QC
Steve O'Brien (CEO, Chairman)|
David Ross (President)
Chuck Peil (EVP/Partnerships)
David Parrish (SVP/Prod)
Jared Mass (Head of Originals)
Number of employees
Reel FX (also known as Reel FX Animation Studios for theatrical animated feature films) is an American digital studio based in Dallas, Texas, Hollywood, California and Montreal. The studio develops and produces award-winning animated films, short form and theme park content. Its first original animated feature film, Free Birds/ Relativity Media, was released in 2013 and grossed over $110 million worldwide. Its next film, The Book of Life/ 20th Century Fox was also released in 2014 and received several nominations, including Best Animated Feature Nominations from the Golden Globe's, Critics’ Choice Awards, Producers Guild Awards and Annie Awards. Monster on the Hill is the 3rd original film from Reel FX in conjunction with Paramount Animation and is slated to be released in 2020.
- 1 History
- 2 Filmography
- 3 Collaborations
- 4 References
- 5 External links
In March 2007, Reel FX merged with Radium, a California-based digital studio that was founded in 1996 by Jonathan Keeton and Simon Mowbray. As part of the merge, the studio re-branded itself in 2010 to Radium/Reel FX, and in February 2012 to Reel FX. Since 2007, Reel FX has been presenting the Texas Avery Animation Award, created by the studio to "celebrate career achievement in animation". The award, which is named after the Texas-born animator and cartoonist Tex Avery, is awarded each year at Dallas International Film Festival in a form of a bronze casting of Avery's Wolf character.
On December 2010, it was announced that Reel FX produced an untitled 3D film with producer Andrew Adamson and Cirque du Soleil. In January 2012, it was announced by Paramount Pictures that it had acquired worldwide rights to the film, now titled Worlds Away directed by Adamson and executive-produced by James Cameron. In October 2012, The Hollywood Reporter revealed Reel FX's connection to the 2012 feature film, Rise of the Guardians. The film is based on Reel FX's short film, The Man in the Moon, directed by William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg. It is also based on Joyce's book series, The Guardians of Childhood.
From 2009 to 2013, Reel FX completed its first original animated feature film Free Birds. Originally titled Turkeys and scheduled for the release of 2014, but it was pulled back to November 1, 2013. Jimmy Hayward directed the film, which tells a story about two turkeys who travel back in time to prevent their species from being the traditional Thanksgiving meal. In February 2012, the studio announced a new CG-animated film, The Book of Life, directed by Jorge R. Gutierrez and produced by Guillermo del Toro. It is described as a "Romeo and Juliet-style love story set against a Mexican Day of the Dead backdrop." In December 2012, it was reported that the studio has partnered with 20th Century Fox Animation to produce the film, and scheduled for October 3, 2014, but it was pushed back to October 17. Monster on the Hill is their upcoming film, slated with Paramount for a 2020 release.
|#||Title||Release date||Co-production with||Directors||Budget||Gross||RT||MC|
|1||Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away||December 21, 2012||Cirque du Soleil Burlesco
Strange Weather Films
Cameron Pace Group
|Andrew Adamson||$25 million||$34.2 million||47%||51|
|2||Free Birds||November 1, 2013||Relativity Media||Jimmy Hayward||$55 million||$110.4 million||18%||38|
|3||The Book of Life||October 17, 2014||20th Century Fox Animation||Jorge R. Gutierrez||$50 million||$99.7 million||82%||67|
|#||Title||Release date||Ref(s)||Co-production with||Directors|
|4||Monster on the Hill||2020||||Walden Media
Films in development
|Kung-Fu Space Punch|||
|The Book of Life 2|||
|#||Title||Release date||Co-production with||Directors|
|1||The Wild||April 14, 2006||C.O.R.E. Feature Animation
Walt Disney Pictures
|2||Everyone's Hero||September 15, 2006||IDT Entertainment
20th Century Fox
Daniel St. Pierre
|3||Rock Dog||February 24, 2017||Summit Entertainment
|4||Sherlock Gnomes||March 23, 2018||Paramount Animation
|6||S.C.O.O.B.||2020||Warner Bros. Pictures
Warner Animation Group
- G.I. Joe: Spy Troops (2003)
- G.I. Joe: Valor vs. Venom (2004)
- Action Man: X Missions – The Movie (2005)
- Boz: Colors and Shapes (2006)
- Boz: Adventures in Imagination (2006)
- The Very First Noel (2006)
- Thank You God for B-O-Zs and 1-2-3s! (2007)
- Start Singing with Boz (2008)
- Open Season 2 (2009; with Sony Pictures Animation)
- Tales of the Black Freighter (2009)
- Open Season 3 (2011; with Sony Pictures Animation)
- Jonah Sing-Along Songs and More! (2002; with Big Idea Productions)
- Halloweentown High (2004)
- Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (2011; with 20th Century Fox Animation and Blue Sky Studios)
- Aunt Fanny's Tour of Booty (2005; co-animated with Blue Sky Studios)
- The Man in the Moon (2005)
- Secrets of the Furious Five (2008)
- Looney Tunes:
- Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner shorts:
- I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat (2011; with Warner Bros. Pictures and Warner Bros. Animation)
- Daffy's Rhapsody (2012; with Warner Bros. Pictures and Warner Bros. Animation)
- Flash in the Pain (2014; with Warner Bros. Pictures and Warner Bros. Animation)
- Best Fiends:
Theme park attractions
- Mass Animation - Live Music
- Beck, Jerry (October 25, 2012). ""Turkeys" get Greenlit at Reel FX". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Mallory, Michael (October 12, 2013). "Get Ready for a Real Turkey Feast!". Animation Magazine. Retrieved October 27, 2013.
- "With New Film The Book of Life, Studio Launches Virtual Reality Unit". Wall Street Journal. September 23, 2014. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- "Book of Life from Dallas Scores Golden Globe Nomination". Dallas Morning News. December 11, 2014. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "Radium Merges with Dallas' Reel FX" (PDF). Pharos. March 7, 2007. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "Behind The Scenes: The Reel FX Rebrand". Reel FX News. February 8, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- King, Darryn (April 18, 2015). "Phil Lord and Chris Miller Honored with 2015 Texas Avery Award". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- Milligan, Mercedes (April 20, 2015). "Phil Lord and Chris Miller Receive Texas Avery Award". Animation Magazine. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- Fleming, Mike (December 7, 2010). "Andrew Adamson, James Cameron team with Cirque du Soleil on 3D Feature". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (February 10, 2012). "Paramount Acquires Worldwide Rights To Andrew Adamson And James Cameron's Cirque Du Soleil 3D Feature". Deadline Hollywood.
- McCarthy, Todd (October 11, 2012). "Rise of the Guardians: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- CEC Entertainment, Inc. (May 20, 2014). "Chuck E. Cheese's Introduces Oculus Rift for Birthday Parties in Select Markets" (Press release). Reuters. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- Shaw, Lucas (February 22, 2013). "Relativity Moves 'Turkeys' Up a Year; Amy Poehler Joins Voice Cast (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved February 23, 2013.
- Rebecca, Murray (March 27, 2013). "Turkeys is Now Free Birds". About.com. Archived from the original on May 11, 2013. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (February 21, 2012). "Guillermo del Toro to Produce CG-Animated 'Day of the Dead' With Reel FX". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- McClintock, Pamela (December 12, 2012). "Fox Animation Teaming With Guillermo del Toro on 'Book of Life' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "Fox Dates 'Frankenstein' & 'Chipmunks 4,' Sets 2017-2018 Animated Slate". Deadline. June 10, 2013. Retrieved June 12, 2013.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (February 18, 2015). "Reel FX Makes Multi-Picture Pact With 'Book Of Life' Helmer Jorge R. Gutierrez; Kung Fu Space Western, Anybody?". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- Giardina, Carolyn (April 25, 2018). "Paramount Grows Its Animation Slate With 'Monster on the Hill,' 'Luck'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Amidi, Amid (April 26, 2018). "Paramount Announces 3 New Animated Features". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Hopewell, John (April 24, 2017). "'Despicable Me 3,' Pixar's 'Coco,' 'The Big Bad Fox' to Bow at France's 2017 Annecy Animation Festival". Variety. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- John Hopewell; Jamie Lang. "Annecy: Reel FX, Jorge R. Gutierrez Announce 'The Book of Life 2,' Unveil 'Kung Fu Space Punch' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 15, 2017.
- McLean, Tom (January 26, 2015). "'Book of Life' Comes to Home Video Libraries". Animation Magazine. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (March 17, 2010). "Granat, Reel FX form Bedrock Studios". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- Animation Mentor (April 2010). "Animator Interview with Mentor Ray Chase". Animation Mentor. Archived from the original on June 20, 2010. Retrieved November 26, 2010.
- Gilchrist, Todd (September 28, 2005). "Robots". IGN. Retrieved October 19, 2012.
- Foster, Dave (August 24, 2005). "Robots (R2) in September - Menus added". The Digital Fix. Retrieved October 19, 2012.
- Qidong, Zhang (November 23, 2012). "Animation studio sees role for China". China Daily. Retrieved November 24, 2012.
- Desowitz, Bill (July 30, 2010). "O'Callaghan Talks Coyote Falls". Animation World Network. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "Looney Tunes "Daffy's Rhapsody"". Reel FX. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- Hopewell, John (June 9, 2014). "Studios, France, Emerging Industries Energize Annecy". Variety. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
Closing ceremony, featuring Official Selection award announcements and Warner Bros.’ 3D short “A Flash in the Pain”
- "Reel FX Live from Annecy!". Reel FX. June 11, 2014. Archived from the original on June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2014.
Peil wrapped up the presentation with the 6th installment in the series of Looney Tunes shorts “Flash in the Pain”.
- Boot Camp - A Best Fiends Animation
- Visit Minutia - A Best Fiends Animation
- Fort of Hard Knocks - A Best Fiends Animation
- Reel FX (July 2, 2012). "It's Time For Minion Mayhem at Universal Orlando". Reel FX. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Reel FX.|