Don Gorske in 2003
|Born||Donald A. Gorske
November 28, 1953
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
|Known for||Record holder of having eaten the most Big Macs|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Gorske (m. 1973–present)|
Donald A. Gorske (born November 28, 1953) of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin is an American world record holder and "Big Mac enthusiast". He is best known for having eaten over 26,000 Big Mac hamburgers from the U.S. fast food chain McDonald's in his lifetime, subsequently winning a place in the 2006 Guinness Book of Records. He claims the Big Mac constitutes 90% of his total solid food intake. He is featured in the documentaries Super Size Me (2004) and Don Gorske: Mac Daddy (2005). He is the author of 22,477 Big Macs (2008).
Gorske claims that after getting his first car, the first place he went to was a McDonald's on May 17, 1972. He purchased and ate three Big Macs at lunch time. He then returned two more times that day to consume a total of nine Big Macs the same day he discovered the burger. He further claims to have eaten 265 Big Macs in the following month, an average of 8.5 Big Macs per day. If true, this would be equivalent to over 4,600 calories and 247 grams of fat daily, for a total of 143,100 calories and 16.9 pounds of fat in one month. He also claims to drink almost nothing but Coca-Cola and, according to Super Size Me, he rarely eats the fries. At first, Don kept all the boxes of Big Macs he ate in the back of his car. He met and proposed to his wife, Mary, at a McDonald's in 1973. Gorske also states that he has only eaten one Burger King Whopper sandwich in his life in 1984, and will never eat one again. Gorske claimed that he first tried a Whopper after his friend bet him $5 to do so, and that he then spent the money on Big Macs.
In 2003, Don Gorske ate 741 Big Macs, an average of 2.03 Big Macs per day. Gorske is 6 foot 2 inches tall (1.88m), 185 pounds (83 kg), and claims a cholesterol level of 140. His claimed average daily consumption of two Big Macs amounts to 1,080 calories, according to the nutritional information published by McDonald's; this does not take into account his energy intake from fluids. The USDA recommends about 2,200 calories per day. Gorske consumes mainly calorie-rich food, but he maintains a stable weight by consuming fewer calories daily than the average American. He says his taste buds have always fluctuated in sensitivity, so he often eats a Big Mac without being able to taste it.
On May 17, 2011, Gorske ate his 25,000th Big Mac at his favorite McDonald's restaurant in Fond du Lac. He claims that since he ate his first Big Mac, there have only been eight separate days in which he did not eat a single Big Mac. One of these days was the day his mother died, and he did not eat a Big Mac to respect her request. Other days included a "Snow Day" when McDonalds was unable to open due to snow, a Thanksgiving, days he was traveling and could not find a McDonalds, and various days Gorske had to stay at work past midnight. Gorske has since started keeping an "emergency stash" of Big Macs in his freezer for emergencies and snow days. Don Gorske also records when and where he eats his Big Macs in a notebook that he always carries. Gorske has kept every burger receipt in a box.
Gorske claims to have eaten 25,000 Big Macs as of May 17, 2011. He also maintains that he has no (known) health issues and has not had reason to visit a doctor. At his doctor visit on April 26, 2011, his first since 1985, his cholesterol level was 156 mg/dl, which is below the average of 208 mg/dl.
On May 25, 2009, Gorske was featured on the The Rachael Ray Show.
- "Man says he's eaten 23,000 Big Macs since 1972". Associated Press. 2008-09-09. Retrieved 2008-09-11.[dead link]
- McDonald's USA Nutrition Information
- FoodReview, Winter 2002, Volume 25, Issue 3
- Plummer, Russell (16 May 2011). "Fond du Lac man prepares to eat 25,000th Big Mac". Gannett Wisconsin Media.[dead link]
- "Big achievement! Man set to consume his 25,000th Big Mac (and his cholesterol is GOOD... but his taste buds don't work!)". Daily Mail. 16 May 2011.
[Gorske] told reporters in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, that his taste buds have fluctuated in sensitivity since birth.
- "Man eats 25,000th Big Mac, 39 years after his 1st". USA Today. May 21, 2011.
- "A BIG, Big Mac habit". CNN. 1997-05-20. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- "Big Mac milestone: Man is due to eat his 25,000th". The Arizona Republic. 2011-05-15. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Fond du Lac's Big Mac man expected to hit 25,000 milestone today". FDL Reporter. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Big achievement! Man set to consume his 25,000th Big Mac (and his cholesterol is GOOD... but his taste buds don't work!". Daily Mail. May 17, 2011.
- Gorske, Don (2011-05-20). The Kyle & Jackie O Show. Interview with Kyle & Jackie O. Today Network. 2DayFM. Sydney, Australia.
- Man gets Big Mac attack — 23,000 times September, 2008
- Big Mac eater downs 19,000th burger March, 2003
- Man Eats His 18,000th Big Mac: Keeps Extra Supply In Freezer November, 2001
- Spotlight on Gorske July 18, 2004
- Wisconsin man eats 23,000 Big Macs September 9, 2008
- Amazon: 22,477 Big Macs August, 2009
- Don Gorske at the Internet Movie Database