|Motto||Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow|
Hamburger University is a training facility at the McDonald's Corporation global headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. It instructs high-potential restaurant managers, mid-managers and owner-operators in restaurant management.
More than 5,000 students attend Hamburger University each year and over 275,000 people have graduated with a degree in Hamburgerology.
Hamburger University training started in 1961 with a class of 14 people in the basement of one of its restaurants.
In 2018, both the McDonald's headquarters and Hamburger University moved to West Loop, Chicago, in a new complex built on the site of the former headquarters of Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Studios.
Hamburger University currently has eight campuses worldwide in addition to the main campus in Chicago, Illinois: Tokyo, London, Sydney, Munich, São Paulo, Shanghai, and Moscow.
In popular culture
Hamburger University was satirized in the 1986 comedy Hamburger... The Motion Picture. It was also spoofed by McDonald's itself in a commercial with Ronald McDonald in which several animatronic hamburgers were shown graduating.
- "Hamburger University". McDonald's. 2011. Retrieved July 23, 2011.
- Walters, Natalie (October 24, 2015). "McDonald's Hamburger University can be harder to get into than Harvard and is even cooler than you'd imagine". Business Insider. Insider, Inc. Retrieved November 30, 2020.
- Luna, Nancy (October 28, 2020). "McDonald's to revitalize Hamburger University under new Chief Learning and Development Officer Bethany Tate Cornell". Nation's Restaurant News. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- "McDonald's moving headquarters to downtown Chicago by 2018". USA TODAY. Retrieved June 9, 2019.
- Byrne, Samantha Bomkamp, John. "McDonald's to move HQ to Chicago as soon as 2018, source says". ChicagoTribune.com. Retrieved June 9, 2019.
- Ori, Greg Trotter, Ryan. "McDonald's begins selling off Oak Brook property before headquarters move". ChicagoTribune.com. Retrieved June 9, 2019.
- Whitten, Whitten; Chung, Peter Q.W. (June 9, 2018). "McDonald's opens new $250 million headquarters. Here's what it looks like inside". CNBC. Retrieved November 30, 2020.
- Lam, Katherine (June 6, 2019). "Billionaire John Paul DeJoria buys McDonald's campus in Illinois". FOXBusiness. Retrieved June 9, 2019.
- Walters, Natalie. "What it's like to graduate from McDonald's Hamburger University". Business Insider. Retrieved January 15, 2021.
- Hamburger - The Motion Picture at the British Film Institute