Eurico de Aguiar Salles Airport
|Vitória-Eurico de Aguiar Salles Airport (Goiabeiras)
Aeroporto de Vitória-Eurico de Aguiar Salles (Goiabeiras)
|IATA: VIX – ICAO: SBVT|
|Elevation AMSL||3 m / 10 ft|
Eurico de Aguiar Salles Airport (IATA: VIX, ICAO: SBVT), formerly called Goiabeiras Airport after the neighborhood where it is located, is the airport serving Vitória, Brazil. It is named after Eurico de Aguiar Salles (1910–1959) a local politician and law professor.
It is operated by Infraero.
The airport handles domestic flights, and has the capacity to receive medium-sized aircraft such as the Boeing 737 and the Airbus 320. It is considered one of the worst among the main airports in Brazil due to lack of renovations.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- 19 December 1949: an Aerovias Brasil Douglas C-47A-30-DK Dakota III registration PP-AXG, disappeared when on a training flight after taking-off from Vitória. It probably crashed at sea. All 6 passengers and crew died.
- 3 April 1955: an Itaú Curtiss C-46A-60-CK Commando registration PP-ITG struck a hill 2 miles short of the runway while on an instrument approach to Vitória. The crew of 3 died.
- 9 May 1962: a Cruzeiro do Sul Convair 240-D registration PP-CEZ on final approach to Vitória struck a tree at a height of 40m, 1,860m short of the runway. It should have been at 150m. Of the 31 passengers and crew aboard, 28 died.
The airport is located 10 km (6 mi) from downtown Vitória.
In 2005 renovation works started at the airport. Projects include a new passenger terminal located on the opposite side of the runway in relation to the present terminal, a new control tower, and a new runway. The present terminal will be converted into an international cargo terminal. The renovation, budgeted at about BRL 300 million, was paralyzed several times in 2006 and 2007 leaving construction virtually abandoned and delayed by overpricing and diversion of funds. It is expected to be completed with a 72-month delay by 2015 although no real work can be seen in the area.
- "Estatísticas" (in Portuguese). Infraero. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Airport Official Website" (in Portuguese). Infraero.
- "Lista de aeródromos públicos" (in Portuguese). ANAC.
- "Aeroporto de Vitória é o pior do país, constata Infraero" (in Portuguese). Folha Vitória. 6 March 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Accident description PP-AXG". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "Accident description PP-ITG". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- "Accident description PP-CEZ". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 16 July 2011.
- Germano da Silva, Carlos Ari César (2008). "O velho lutador". O rastro da bruxa: história da aviação comercial brasileira no século XX através dos seus acidentes 1928–1996 (in Portuguese) (2 ed.). Porto Alegre: EDIPUCRS. pp. 204–207. ISBN 978-85-7430-760-2.
- "Com obra no PAC, ampliação do aeroporto de Vitória tem 41 meses de atraso" (in Portuguese). Transparência Capixaba. 3 March 2010. Retrieved 28 October 2010.
- Airport information for SBVT at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for SBVT at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for SBVT at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for VIX at Aviation Safety Network
- Eurico de Aguiar Salles Airport Photo Archive at airliners.net