Financial District, Los Angeles
|Neighborhood of Los Angeles|
The Financial District as viewed from Bunker Hill
|County||County of Los Angeles|
The Financial District (Financial Core) is a neighborhood in Downtown Los Angeles south of the Bunker Hill district. The two neighborhoods are divided roughly at 5th Street. Like Bunker Hill, the Financial District is home to corporate office skyscrapers, hotels and related services as well as banks, law firms, and real estate companies.
The Financial District was created by the Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency to provide an alternative to the old Spring Street Financial District, which fell into decline in the second half of the 20th Century.
Demand for apartments in downtown Los Angeles surged in 2010 and the years following. In 2015, thousands of apartments were under construction or proposed for the area around 8th Street.
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro Rail & Metro Liner), and LADOT (DASH & Commuter Express) provide heavy rail (subway), light rail, and local bus services throughout the Financial Core and to the Greater Los Angeles Area.
The Financial District contains some of the city's more significant destinations and buildings, including:
- 611 Place
- 777 Tower
- Aon Center (Los Angeles)
- Brockman Building
- Citigroup Center (Los Angeles)
- City National Bank Plaza
- Ernst & Young Plaza
- FIGat7th Shopping Center
- Figueroa at Wilshire
- Fine Arts Building
- Jonathan Club
- Los Angeles Athletic Club
- Los Angeles Public Library
- MCI Center (Los Angeles)
- Millennium Biltmore Hotel
- Southern California Gas Company Complex
- Superior Oil Company Building (The Standard Hotel, Downtown Los Angeles)
- Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- Wilshire Grand Center
- 2012-2013 Official Visitors Map, Los Angeles Tourism & Convention Board, 2012
- Vincent, Roger (February 19, 2015) "Whole Foods to anchor posh apartment complex in downtown L.A." Los Angeles Times
- Media related to Financial District, Los Angeles at Wikimedia Commons