Magellan anchored in Flåm
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Aalborg Værft, Ålborg, Denmark|
|Class and type:||Holiday-class cruise ship|
|Length:||728 ft (222 m)|
|Beam:||105.6 ft (32.2 m)|
|Speed:||21 knots (39 km/h; 24 mph)|
MS Holiday was built by Aalborg Værft in Aalborg, Denmark and entered service for Carnival Cruise Lines on July 13, 1985. The ship's condition had been in decline until 2003, when she was sent into the dry docks and renovated. In 2005, during Hurricane Katrina, she was taken out of service to be used as temporary housing for the victims of the storm, and to also be used to aid the victims of the storm. After leaving Mississippi, she again went to the dry docks for an additional three weeks of renovations. New carpeting and plumbing were added and repairs to the propellers were made, among other improvements.
MS Holiday resumed her normal route in the Western Caribbean, sailing from Mobile, Alabama until November 2009 when MS Holiday was retired from the Carnival fleet and was later transferred to the fleet of Iberocruceros, another cruise line owned by Carnival Corporation & plc as MS Grand Holiday. However, the Carnival-style funnel was only repainted. In April 2010 she underwent dry dock refurbishment and was then transferred to the Ibero Cruises fleet. Sailing as MS Grand Holiday began on May 18, 2010
The ship was transformed into a four-star floating hotel in Port Sochi Imeretinskiy during the Winter Olympics from 5 to 24 February 2014.
On 3 November 2014 British cruise line Cruise & Maritime Voyages announced that MS Grand Holiday would be joining their fleet in Spring 2015 under the name Magellan. She began cruising out of London Tilbury, Newcastle upon Tyne and Dundee commencing 15 March 2015 and also Hamburg on 12 July 2015.
Gallery - Pictures of the Ship in previous liveries
Magellan as Holiday in Cozumel, Mexico.
Magellan as Holiday Docked in Pascagoula, USA.
Magellan as Holiday At the port of Yucatán, Mexico.
- "Vacaciones a bordo de Costa Cruceros" (PDF). iberocruceros.com. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Cruise ships chartered for refugees". msnbc.msn.com. 2005-09-03. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Carnival Holiday leaving the fleet http://www.allbusiness.com/manufacturing/transportation-equipment-mfg-ship/12180902-1.html
- "Vacaciones a bordo de Costa Cruceros". iberocruceros.com. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Home Page - Cruise and Maritime Voyages". Cruise and Maritime Voyages. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Magellan". hamburg.de. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Magellan (ship, 1985).|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grand Holiday (ship, 1985).|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Holiday (ship, 1985).|