Carnival Horizon departing Grand Turk
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Panama|
|Ordered:||December 19, 2014|
|Laid down:||April 2016|
|Launched:||March 10, 2017|
|Sponsored by:||Queen Latifah|
|In service:||April 2, 2018|
|Class and type:||Vista-class cruise ship|
|Length:||323.63 m (1,061.8 ft)|
|Draught:||8.2 m (27 ft)|
|Depth:||14.1 m (46 ft)|
|Decks:||15 passenger decks|
|Installed power:||MAN Diesel & Turbo 3x8L48/60CR + 2x14V48/60CR generating sets|
|Propulsion:||Diesel-electric; Two ABB Azipod XO units|
|Speed:||18 kn (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
Carnival Horizon is a Vista-class cruise ship operated by Carnival Cruise Line. She is the 26th vessel in the Carnival fleet and is the second of Carnival's Vista class, which includes Carnival Vista and Carnival Panorama.
The ship has a tonnage of 133,596 GT and a capacity of 3,960 passengers. In 2019, she and her sister ship, Carnival Vista, were both superseded as the largest Carnival ship by their sister, the 133,868 GT Carnival Panorama.
Planning and construction
On December 19, 2014, Carnival Corporation announced a new order with Fincantieri for a second Vista-class ship to be similarly designed to her sister ship, Carnival Vista, making her the 26th vessel in the fleet.
On July 29, 2016, Carnival announced the name of its second Vista-class vessel as Carnival Horizon. Construction of the ship took 30 months, which included the steel cutting in March 2015, the keel laying in April 2016, and the sea trials in November 2017.
Delivery and christening
On March 1, 2018, Carnival announced Queen Latifah as the godmother of Carnival Horizon. She christened the vessel on May 23, 2018 upon her arrival in New York City from a 14-day transatlantic crossing.
Carnival Horizon embarked on her maiden voyage on April 2, 2018 from Barcelona for a 13-day Mediterranean sailing, visiting ports of call in Italy, Croatia, Greece, and Malta. The ship continued a series of cruises for a short season in the Mediterranean before re-positioning to New York City in May for the remainder of summer 2018. From New York, she operated sailings to the Caribbean and Bermuda before re-positioning to Miami in September, where she offers year-round six-night cruises to the Western Caribbean and eight-night cruises to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean.
On November 15, 2019, a passenger fell four stories off a balcony to his death from a lower deck of the ship just as it was returning to Miami, Florida. The medical staff onboard the ship responded to the incident, however they could not revive him. According to the medical examiner's office, it was revealed that the passenger's death was due to blunt force trauma and not a suicide.
- "FINCANTIERI DOPPIO ORDINE DA CARNIVAL". December 19, 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2016.
- "DRY DOCK WORKS START ON THE NEW CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE VESSEL". April 5, 2016. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- "FINCANTIERI: "CARNIVAL HORIZON" LAUNCHED IN MARGHERA". March 10, 2017. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- "Carnival Horizon (9767091)". LR Class Direct. Lloyd's Register. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- "Carnival Horizon Fact Sheet". Carnival Cruise Line News. Carnival Corporation. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- "Carnival Corporation Announces Two New Ship Orders with Fincantieri – Carnival Cruise Line News". Carnival Newsroom. December 19, 2014.
- Gibson, Rebecca (August 1, 2016). "Carnival to name newbuild Carnival Horizon". Cruise&Ferry.net. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- Sayles, Jill (August 2, 2016). "Carnival Cruise Line's new ship to be named Carnival Horizon". Cruise Trade News. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "New York City Welcomes Carnival Horizon". The Maritime Executive. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Staff, C. I. N. (March 28, 2018). "Carnival Takes Delivery of New Carnival Horizon". www.cruiseindustrynews.com. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Fincantieri | "CARNIVAL HORIZON" DELIVERY". www.fincantieri.com. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- Sloan, Gene. "Queen Latifah to christen giant new Carnival cruise ship". USA TODAY. Retrieved September 11, 2019.
- Parker, Doug (April 2, 2018). "Carnival Horizon Sails First Cruise". Cruise Radio.
- "New Carnival Horizon Sails on Maiden Voyage from Barcelona – Carnival Cruise Line News". Carnival Newsroom. April 2, 2018.
- "Carnival Cruise Line's Three Newest Cruise Ships Headed to New Homeports". cruisefever.net. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Vic Ryckaert (November 20, 2019). "Cruise ship death: Indiana father killed in fall from Carnival balcony". IndyStar. Retrieved December 16, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to IMO 9767091.|