Carnival Magic in Monaco
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Panama|
|Yard number:||Monfalcone 6167|
|Laid down:||12 January 2010|
|Launched:||27 August 2010|
|Christened:||1 May 2011, by Godmother Lindsey Wilkerson|
|Maiden voyage:||1 May 2011|
|In service:||1 May 2011|
|Class & type:||Dream-class cruise ship|
|Length:||306 m (1,004 ft)|
|Beam:||37.2 m (122 ft)|
|Draught:||8.3 m (27 ft)|
|Decks:||14 passenger decks, 17 decks total|
Carnival Magic is a Dream-class cruise ship, and is one of the latest of the Carnival Cruise Line ships to enter the fleet. Her sister ship, Carnival Dream entered service on September 21, 2009, and a second sister Carnival Breeze entered service in June 2012.
Concept and construction
Carnival Magic's keel was laid on 12 January 2010. Magic has 1,845 passenger cabins (an increase from her predecessor Carnival Dream's 1,823 cabins) and 746 crew cabins; she can carry over 6,000 6,000 persons. The ship was floated out from her drydock on 27 August 2010. She completed her sea trials between 17–20 March, 2011.
The lifeboat configuration of Carnival Magic differs from that of her sister ship, Carnival Dream, in that Magic has 18 double-size lifeboats, while Dream has 30 smaller boats. Magic also has a large, highly visible SkyCourse ropes course forward of her funnel that is not present on her sister.
There are 14 decks (although marked as having 15 decks on the deck plan because there is no 13th deck) aboard Magic. She includes the Carnival Waterworks which is a miniature water park on the forward part of the upper decks. Cloud 9 Spa is on decks 12 and 14. Deck 11 includes Camp Carnival and Cucina Del Capitano (an Italian Restaurant with required reservations for dinner at an additional cost, but includes a pasta bar for lunch). The Lido deck, deck 10, includes the Beach Pool & Bar, the Seaside Theatre which shows movie favorites on a huge screen above the pool area, the Lido Marketplace which includes a variety of buffets, and a pool aft. The Promenade deck, deck 5, includes the top of the Showtime Theatre, The Fun Shops, Cherry On Top candy shop, the Hat Trick Casino, RedFrog Pub, Vibe Dance Club, Play It Again Piano Bar, Prime Steakhouse (where you can make reservations for a steak dinner at an additional cost), and the Spotlight Lounge, which is the location of the Punchliner Comedy Club. The Mezzanine Deck, deck 4, includes a Conference Center, Circle "C" (a club for kids ages 12–14), Club O2 (a club for kids ages 15–17), and The Warehouse (an arcade). There are two dining rooms on the Lobby Deck, deck 3, which includes Northern Lights and Southern Lights, and the Guest Services and Shore Excursions desks are also on the Lobby Deck. On deck 0, the tender entrance/exit (used in Grand Cayman, for example) and the medical center are located. There are staterooms on decks 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and a few on 12.
Drydock-Funship 2.0 Completion.
The Carnival Magic is scheduled to go into dry-dock from 2/21/16 - 3/06/16, according to GoCCL. This will be the Carnival Magic's first dry-dock ever. The Magic will get the rest of the Funship 2.0 upgrades including: Blue Cantina, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, Red Frog Rum Bar, relocate Pizzeria,relocate Deli, Fat Jimmy's Bar-B-Que, Alchemy Bar, and Guy’s Burger Joint. Carnival has not mentioned if the Showtime Theatre will get the Open floor concept currently install on the Sunshine.
Ports of call
Carnival Magic spent her inaugural season, summer 2011, cruising the Mediterranean. She sailed a combination of 7, 9, and 12-night cruises which all depart from Barcelona, Spain with the exception of her inaugural, leaving from Venice, Italy. She sailed a 16-day transatlantic crossing in autumn, 2011, and has since been homeported in Galveston, Texas, and alternates between 7 day Western Caribbean cruises to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, Mexico, 7 day Western Caribbean cruises to Roatán, Belize, and Cozumel, Mexico; and 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruises to Key West, Florida, Freeport, Bahamas, and Nassau, Bahamas. In February and early March, 2015 she will be operating 4, 5, and 6 day cruises to the Caribbean before returning to the 7 day cruises in mid March, 2015.
In April, 2016, Magic will be replaced in Galveston by the Carnival Breeze. Carnival Cruise Line has announced that the Magic will then be home ported in Port Canaveral, Florida sailing seven day Caribbean cruises.
Incidents and accidents
- 2 July 2013
- During a seven-day Caribbean cruise, a 39-year-old male guest died when he accidentally fell from his cabin balcony and landed on an open deck area three decks below.
- October 2014
- A Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas employee who may have handled lab specimens from Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan, boarded the ship Oct. 12 in Galveston, Tex. The hospital employee and her spouse showed no signs of the virus, but voluntarily quarantined themselves on the ship. The ship was allowed to dock in Belize, but the quarantined couple was refused the ability to disembark; thus derailing the plan to offload the couple for a flight home. Mexico went a step further and did not grant docking privileges to the ship.
- A United States Coast Guard helicopter flew to the Carnival Magic on Saturday, October 18, 2014 to obtain blood samples. On October 19, 2014, the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital employee and her spouse were allowed to disembark in Galveston, Texas after the tests were determined to be negative for both the employee and her spouse.
- "Carnival Magic laid; work starts Carnival Cruise Line's new flagship". Fincantieri. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- Teijo Niemelä (27 August 2010). "Fincantieri launches Carnival Magic". Cruise Business News. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Carnival Magic". Fincantieri. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Carnival Magic". VesselTracker. 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Carnival Magic (927918)". Port State Information Exchange. United States Coast Guard.
- Peter Knego (22 March 2011). "Magic Off Monfalcone: Carnival Magic Completes Sea Trials". Maritime Matters. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Carnival Magic Deck Plan. Carnival. 0311. Check date values in:
- "Carnival Drydock Schedule". RyG's Cruise Guide. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "Carnival Magic to Sail Med". CruiseNotes. 19 January 2010. Retrieved 19 January 2010.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Carnival Magic Itineraries". Carnival. 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- Staff writers (4 July 2013). "Man fell to his death from cabin balcony on Carnival cruise ship". KHOU. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Lindsey Bever, Fred Barbash, Elahe Izadi (17 October 2014). "Mexico fails to grant access to cruise ship carrying Texas health worker". The Washington Post. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- John Bacon (19 October 2014). "Cruise ship returns to Texas; passenger negative for Ebola". USA Today.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carnival Magic.|