Hartshead Moor services
|Hartshead Moor services|
1974 coach bombing
On 4 February 1974 a bomb was detonated on a coach ferrying British Army and Royal Air Force personnel from and to the bases at Catterick and Darlington during a period of industrial strike action on the trains. The incident occurred shortly after midnight while most of those aboard were sleeping. Twelve people were killed and more than fifty injured.
A memorial plaque was installed in memory of those who were killed, situated in the entrance hall of the westbound section of the service area, which was used as a first aid station for those wounded in the blast. A memorial service was held at the service area in February 2004. In 2009 a new memorial was created outside the service area at the wishes of the relatives of those killed.
In December 2005 the RSPCA, working with the BBC filmed the sale of an African puff adder at the service area, exploiting a legal loophole to sell on the snake. It was discovered in April 2006 that the service area's toilets were frequently being used for homosexual activity.
The services are located between junctions 25 and 26 of the M62.
- 2007 Loo of the Year award – Baby Change Facilities
- "Hertshead Moor". Msatrivia.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "MSA Chronology". Msatrivia.co.uk. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- Mason, Virginia. "12,000 portions of fish and chips and 140,000 cups of tea: A revolution is taking place at Hartshead Moor services – Halifax Today". Halifax Courier. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "BBC ON THIS DAY | 4 | 1974: Soldiers and children killed in coach bombing". BBC News. 1974-02-04. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Bradford and West Yorkshire – Places – Tragedy on the M62". BBC. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "England | Manchester | Coach bomb victims remembered". BBC News. 2004-02-04. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- Ryder, Gemma. "Fitting tribute to IRA coach bomb victims". Spenborough Guardian. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Deadly snakes for sale on M62 – Halifax Today". Halifax Courier. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Gay sex at M62 toilets – Halifax Today". Halifax Courier. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Cleaning company opens up on M62". Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Welcome Break - Service Station - Hartshead Moor". Welcome Break. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Driving Pit Stop - Find Highway and Motorway services". www.drivingpitstop.com. Retrieved 2016-07-17.