|Type||Privately held company|
|Founded||24 June 2013|
Number of employees
inDriver is a ride-hailing service with more than 80 million users in more than 546 cities in 34 countries. inDriver is one of the top 3 ridesharing and taxi apps worldwide by downloads. The company operates in Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Botswana, Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, El Salvador, Chile, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Tanzania, South Africa, Kenya, Morocco, Uganda, Nigeria, Botswana, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Pakistan. The company was founded in Yakutsk in 2012.
It is one of the fastest growing international passenger transport service operating on the Real-Time Deals model. In inDriver app all conditions of the trip are determined as a result of an agreement between passengers and drivers. inDriver works both in small towns with a population of 10 thousand inhabitants, often with the weak Internet and without maps of the settlement, and in the largest cities with the highest level of competition, successfully adapting to the needs of the residents of any settlement. The p2p business model of the service today meets the needs of people who are trying to get away from the dictates of price corporations while using the capabilities of IT technologies makes the passenger-driver relationship much more transparent. The demand for such a model is great in many parts of the world According to OZY, the fees that inDriver takes from drivers' receipts averages 5–8% of the fare, which is significantly less than other major ride-hailing services. Passengers make all payments for rides directly to drivers in cash or non-cash settlements. This helps make fare for rides with inDriver even lower. The inDriver mobile app is available on Android and iOS.
On 2012 New Year's Eve in Yakutsk, in Eastern Siberia, the air temperature dropped below -45 degrees, and local taxi drivers simultaneously doubled the cost of trips around the city. In response, the inhabitants of Yakutsk made the "Independent Drivers" group on social networks, where people could post a request for a ride and put the price they are willing to pay, and then drivers took such orders. As a result, in just six months more than 60 thousand people joined the group.
In July 2014 InDriver made freight and inter-city services available within the app using the same business model.
In February 2017 the service passed the threshold of 100,000,000 rides booked through the InDriver mobile app. Registered users comprised more than 5 million people at the time.
In the summer of 2017 Russian venture capital fund LETA Capital committed to a $5 million investment in inDriver, followed by $10 million investment round in 2018. The company plans to use this investment to launch its service in USA and Canada.
During 2017-2018 winter season, the service increased its network from 70 to 120 cities in Russia and CIS countries, and the total turnover from completed trips for 2018 exceeded the equivalent of $300 million.
In April 2018, inDriver also began their international expansion by entering the Central and South American markets In April 2018, the service launched in Mexico - the first city was Saltillo, the administrative center of Coahuila state. In May, June and July, the company launched its service in Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, El Salvador, Chile, Brazil and Ecuador.
In 2019, inDriver continued expanding its business throughout Latin America, Africa, India and Southwest Asia, reaching Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, Nigeria, Botswana , India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the company put launches in new countries on hold. And in their place, it launched the "Medical Worker On The Way" program to help healthcare workers around the world get to and from work. In spite of an almost global lockdown caused by the pandemic, inDriver managed to reach 50 million app-downloads in July 2020.
In 2021, the company launched operations in Paraguay .
To request a ride, the user fills in the request with: the starting point and destination address of the ride, the price they are willing to pay and if they have any comments for the driver. Drivers can make a counter offer to the price offered by the passenger. Additional options include: the possibility of adding additional destinations, indicating the need for a child seat, etc. After choosing the driver for the service, the information of the car and driver confirmed for the service will appear on the passenger’s phone screen, this will include the driver's rating and contact, the car's approximate arrival time and it’s real-time geolocation point on the map.
Due to its freedom of choice philosophy, the application has extended beyond the possibility for passengers and drivers to negotiate their mobility conditions. It has also looked for a way to satisfy the needs of users through technology, this is the main reason why they have extended the platform's services to Delivery, Intercity rides and cargo transport reservation through the Freight service.
- Delivery: With this service the user can request a delivery offering their own rate for the courier. After this the user will be able to choose the delivery courier from the list of people interested in fulfilling such service. This service can be used both by people looking to receive a product or make a delivery, as well as for any company or business that wants to deliver any of their products directly to customers.
- Intercity rides: With this service the passenger is able to search for vehicles that are on the way to another city, and travel together with the driver. This generates savings in expenses for transportation.
- Freight: The Freight option works with the same philosophy as the mobility service: the user makes a request and offers their own rate. Then, choose from the list of interested drivers the one that will transport the items. This system can be used both by people looking to move their own items, as well as for any company or business wanting to do the service and move the user’s objects with their cars, vans or trucks.
BeginIT is inDriver social education project aimed at identifying and providing career guidance in the field of new technologies to talented children from orphanages, boarding and rural schools. The project has been implemented since 2012. In 2021, the project includes orphanages and remote rural schools in 11 countries. Within the framework of the project, the participating schools are provided with special assistance in equipping computer classes and programming clubs. Besides, the company organizes regular excursions and master classes for schoolchildren in the main office. Currently, the project includes 90 orphanages, shelters and remote rural schools from Russia, Kazakhstan, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, South Africa, Peru, Indonesia, India and egypt now 2020
inDriver got nominated for the GSMA Global Mobile Awards (GLOMO) 2019 in the 'Most Innovative Mobile App' category.
The service has been named Google Play's 2019 Best Everyday Essential app in Brazil.
- Seddon, Max (December 4, 2017). "Russian ride hailing apps power up". Financial Times.
- Peleschuk, Dan (April 8, 2019). "Can This Siberian Entrepreneur Make You Haggle for Your Ride?". OZY. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Unconventional CEOs". OZY. April 7, 2019. Meet the Siberian Boss Reinventing Ride-Hailing. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
That business is inDriver, a ride-hailing app with 14 million users launched from the coldest major city in the world: Yakutsk, Siberia.
- Williams, Katie. "Top Ridesharing & Taxi Apps Worldwide for January 2020 by Downloads". Sensor Tower Blog. Retrieved February 20, 2020.
- "Con esta App podrás negociar la tarifa de tus recorridos" [With this App you can negotiate the rate of your trips]. Forbes México (in Spanish). March 25, 2019. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "InDriver llega a Bolivia para revolucionar el servicio de taxis" [InDriver arrives in Bolivia to revolutionize the taxi service]. hoybolivia.com (in Spanish). April 22, 2019. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "Set-your-own-price taxi app launches in Arusha". Business Daily Africa. November 26, 2018.
- "WATCH: inDriver, a bargaining ride-hailing app has launched in SA (Durban)". Business Report. South Africa: Independent Media via Independent Online. March 1, 2019.
- "InDriver launches ride-hail app in fourth African country, Uganda". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- "Ride-hailing application inDriver now in Chandigarh". The Tribune India. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Butcher, Mike (September 7, 2017). "Straight outta Siberia — inDriver raises $5M for its flat-rate ride-hailing app". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Tomsky, Arsen (January 21, 2018). "Decentralization 2.0: Beyond the semi-monopolies of Uber and Airbnb". The Next Web.
- "Машинка подъехала: Арсен Томский вырастил конкурента Uber из группы "ВКонтакте"" [The car has pulled up: Arsen Tomsky has grown the competitor to Uber from a "VKontakte" group]. Секрет фирмы (in Russian). February 1, 2017.
- Суворова, Наталья (May 7, 2018). "Основатель сервиса такси inDriver Арсен Томский: Мы — поджарые ниндзя в стане пухлых хипстеров" [The founder of the inDriver taxi service Arsen Tomsky: We are lean ninjas in the camp of plump hipsters]. Inc. (in Russian). Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Khabibrakhimov, Albert (March 14, 2017). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver раскрыл статистику по количеству поездок в конце 2016 года после "Яндекс.Такси" и Gett" [Russian taxi service inDriver discloses statistics on the number of trips at the end of 2016, behind "Yandex.Taxi" and Gett]. vc.ru.
- Smirnova, Yekaterina (September 8, 2017). "Российский венчурный фонд Leta Capital вложил $5 млн в сибирский сервис такси inDriver" [Russian Venture Fund Leta Capital invests $5 million in Siberian inDriver taxi service]. Vedomosti. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Ride-Hailing Service InDriver Raises $10 Million Series B". Wall Street Journal. September 4, 2018. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Российский такси-сервис inDriver привлек $5 млн на экспансию в США, Канаду и Индию |" [Russian taxi service inDriver attracts $5 million for expansion into the USA, Canada and India]. Rusbase (in Russian). Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Российский такси-сервис inDriver привлек $5 млн от фонда LETA Capital" [Russian taxi service inDriver attracted $5 million from the LETA Capital fund]. vc.ru (in Russian). September 7, 2017. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Gorborukova, Lydia (November 3, 2017). "InDriver сделал остановку в Петербурге" [InDriver makes a stop in St. Petersburg]. Kommersant.
- "Uber, Taxify to face Russia's inDriver in Africa — Quartz Africa". qz.com. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- Ведомости (July 19, 2018). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver перенес центральный офис в Нью-Йорк из Якутии". Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "Buscará inDriver acelerar a Saltillo". www.zocalo.com.mx. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "Llega InDriver: transporte donde cliente decide tarifa | Vanguardia". www.vanguardia.com.mx (in Spanish). Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "inDriver откроет Америку". Газета "Коммерсантъ". April 5, 2018. p. 10. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Михайлова, Лера (May 4, 2018). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver вышел на рынок Мексики". vc.ru. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "Aplicación de viaje en línea inDriver entra a Guatemala". Revista Estrategia & Negocios (in Spanish). Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Diario la Opinión. "Llegó a Cúcuta una aplicación para 'negociar' el costo de su carrera" (in Spanish). La Opinión. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "Trujillo: usuarios decidirán cuánto pagar por taxis gracias a app" (in Spanish). www.laindustria.pe. Archived from the original on July 16, 2018. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "InDriver yatua Arusha, abiria kuchipangia bei". Mwananchi. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Walmsley, Julie. "Priceline Meets Uber In A Name-Your-Fare Ride Service Arriving In New York". Forbes. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Lekach, Sasha. "Russian ride-hailing app comes to America with set-your-own-price scheme". Mashable. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- FOX (December 6, 2018). "Ride-hailing app inDriver lets you bid on a cab". WNYW. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Passengers can set their own fares with international rideshare company". www.digitaltrends.com. December 5, 2018.
- ClickPB (December 1, 2018). "Chega a João Pessoa aplicativo em que usuário pode escolher motorista e negociar valor de corrida". ClickPB (in Portuguese). Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Telégrafo, El (November 26, 2018). "InDriver entra a Ecuador a pelear en el mercado de las apps de transporte". El Telégrafo (in Spanish). Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic".
- "InDriver zapustil servis medrabotnik v puti". April 4, 2020.
- "inDriver crosses 50 mln milestone". July 20, 2020.
- "inDriver ya está disponible en Paraguay".
- "Siberian Uber Wannabe Takes Bargain-Style Business Model to U.S." Bloomberg.
- Ведомости (July 19, 2018). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver перенес центральный офис в Нью-Йорк из Якутии". Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "How inDriver uses Google Maps Platform to make everyday journeys accessible to millions worldwide". cloud.google.com. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "Global Mobile Awards 2019 Nominee Shortlist". MWC Barcelona. Retrieved January 13, 2020.
- "Google revela melhores apps e jogos para Android no Brasil". TechTudo (in Portuguese). Retrieved January 13, 2020.