|Privately held company|
|Industry||Transportation network company|
Number of employees
inDriver is a transportation network company with 26 million users in more than 200 cities in 24 countries. inDriver is one of the top 10 ridesharing and taxi apps worldwide by downloads. The company operates in the United States, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Brazil, Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, El Salvador, Chile, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Tanzania, South Africa, Kenya, Uganda and India. The company was founded in Yakutsk in 2012.
inDriver's business model is that passengers determine the price of the trip. The user enters the amount he or she is willing to pay for the trip. The order is confirmed by the first driver who is willing to accept the offered price. Also, inDriver charges drivers primarily on a flat rate, whereas its competitors charge drivers a percentage of their taxi fare receipts. According to OZY, the fees that inDriver takes from drivers' receipts averages 5–8% of the fare, which is significantly less than other major ride-hailing services. Passengers make all payments for rides directly to drivers in cash or non-cash settlements. This helps make fare for rides with inDriver even lower. The inDriver mobile app is available on Android and iOS.
On 2012 New Year's Eve in Yakutsk, in Eastern Siberia, the air temperature dropped below -45 degrees, and local taxi drivers simultaneously doubled the cost of trips around the city. In response, the inhabitants of Yakutsk made the "Independent Drivers" group on social networks, where people could post a request for a ride and put the price they are willing to pay, and then drivers took such orders. As a result, in just six months more than 60 thousand people joined the group.
In July 2014 InDriver made freight and inter-city services available within the app using the same business model.
In February 2017 the service passed the threshold of 100,000,000 rides booked through the InDriver mobile app. Registered users comprised more than 5 million people at the time.
In the summer of 2017 Russian venture capital fund LETA Capital committed to a $5 million investment in inDriver, followed by $10 million investment round in 2018. The company plans to use this investment to launch its service in USA and Canada.
During 2017-2018 winter season, the service increased its network from 70 to 120 cities in Russia and CIS countries, and the total turnover from completed trips for 2018 exceeded the equivalent of $300 million.
In April 2018, inDriver also launched international expansion by entering the markets of Central and South America In April 2018, the service launched in Mexico - the first city was Saltillo, the administrative center of Coahuila state. In May, June and July, the company launched its service in Guatemala, Colombia, Peru, El Salvador and Chile.
In February 2019 inDriver entered the South African market.
In July 2019 inDriver entered the Indian market.
- Peleschuk, Dan. "Can This Siberian Entrepreneur Make You Haggle for Your Ride?". OZY. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Unconventional CEOs". OZY. April 7, 2019. Meet the Siberian Boss Reinventing Ride-Hailing. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
That business is inDriver, a ride-hailing app with 14 million users launched from the coldest major city in the world: Yakutsk, Siberia.
- Chan, Julia (April 16, 2019). "Top Ridesharing & Taxi Apps Worldwide Q1 2019 by Downloads". SensorTower (Blog). Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- Khrennikov, Ilya (August 29, 2018). "Siberian Uber Wannabe Takes Bargain-Style Business Model to U.S.". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "Con esta App podrás negociar la tarifa de tus recorridos" [With this App you can negotiate the rate of your trips]. Forbes México (in Spanish). March 25, 2019. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "InDriver llega a Bolivia para revolucionar el servicio de taxis" [InDriver arrives in Bolivia to revolutionize the taxi service]. hoybolivia.com (in Spanish). April 22, 2019. Retrieved April 23, 2019.
- "Set-your-own-price taxi app launches in Arusha". Business Daily Africa. November 26, 2018.
- "WATCH: inDriver, a bargaining ride-hailing app has launched in SA (Durban)". Business Report. South Africa: Independent Media via Independent Online. March 1, 2019.
- "InDriver launches ride-hail app in fourth African country, Uganda". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- "Ride-hailing application inDriver now in Chandigarh". The Tribune India. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Seddon, Max (December 4, 2017). "Russian ride hailing apps power up". Financial Times.
- Butcher, Mike (September 7, 2017). "Straight outta Siberia — inDriver raises $5M for its flat-rate ride-hailing app". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Tomsky, Arsen (January 21, 2018). "Decentralization 2.0: Beyond the semi-monopolies of Uber and Airbnb". The Next Web.
- "Машинка подъехала: Арсен Томский вырастил конкурента Uber из группы "ВКонтакте"" [The car has pulled up: Arsen Tomsky has grown the competitor to Uber from a "VKontakte" group]. Секрет фирмы (in Russian). February 1, 2017.
- Суворова, Наталья (May 7, 2018). "Основатель сервиса такси inDriver Арсен Томский: Мы — поджарые ниндзя в стане пухлых хипстеров" [The founder of the inDriver taxi service Arsen Tomsky: We are lean ninjas in the camp of plump hipsters]. Inc. (in Russian). Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Khabibrakhimov, Albert (March 14, 2017). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver раскрыл статистику по количеству поездок в конце 2016 года после «Яндекс.Такси» и Gett" [Russian taxi service inDriver discloses statistics on the number of trips at the end of 2016, behind "Yandex.Taxi" and Gett]. vc.ru.
- Smirnova, Yekaterina (September 8, 2017). "Российский венчурный фонд Leta Capital вложил $5 млн в сибирский сервис такси inDriver" [Russian Venture Fund Leta Capital invests $5 million in Siberian inDriver taxi service]. Vedomosti. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Ride-Hailing Service InDriver Raises $10 Million Series B". Wall Street Journal. September 4, 2018. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Российский такси-сервис inDriver привлек $5 млн на экспансию в США, Канаду и Индию" [Russian taxi service inDriver attracts $5 million for expansion into the USA, Canada and India]. Rusbase (in Russian). Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- "Российский такси-сервис inDriver привлек $5 млн от фонда LETA Capital" [Russian taxi service inDriver attracted $5 million from the LETA Capital fund]. vc.ru (in Russian). September 7, 2017. Retrieved September 8, 2017.
- Gorborukova, Lydia (November 3, 2017). "InDriver сделал остановку в Петербурге" [InDriver makes a stop in St. Petersburg]. Kommersant.
- "Uber, Taxify to face Russia's inDriver in Africa — Quartz Africa". qz.com. Retrieved November 16, 2018.
- Ведомости (July 19, 2018). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver перенес центральный офис в Нью-Йорк из Якутии". Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "Buscará inDriver acelerar a Saltillo". www.zocalo.com.mx. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "Llega InDriver: transporte donde cliente decide tarifa | Vanguardia". www.vanguardia.com.mx (in Spanish). Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "inDriver откроет Америку". Газета "Коммерсантъ". April 5, 2018. p. 10. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- Михайлова, Лера (May 4, 2018). "Российский такси-сервис inDriver вышел на рынок Мексики". vc.ru. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "Aplicación de viaje en línea inDriver entra a Guatemala". Revista Estrategia & Negocios (in Spanish). Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Diario la Opinión. "Llegó a Cúcuta una aplicación para 'negociar' el costo de su carrera" (in Spanish). La Opinión. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "Trujillo: usuarios decidirán cuánto pagar por taxis gracias a app" (in Spanish). www.laindustria.pe. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- "InDriver yatua Arusha, abiria kuchipangia bei". Mwananchi. Retrieved November 14, 2018.
- Walmsley, Julie. "Priceline Meets Uber In A Name-Your-Fare Ride Service Arriving In New York". Forbes. Retrieved December 4, 2018.
- Lekach, Sasha. "Russian ride-hailing app comes to America with set-your-own-price scheme". Mashable. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- FOX. "Ride-hailing app inDriver lets you bid on a cab". WNYW. Retrieved April 19, 2019.
- "Passengers can set their own fares with international rideshare company". www.digitaltrends.com.
- ClickPB (December 1, 2018). "Chega a João Pessoa aplicativo em que usuário pode escolher motorista e negociar valor de corrida". ClickPB (in Portuguese). Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- Telégrafo, El (November 26, 2018). "InDriver entra a Ecuador a pelear en el mercado de las apps de transporte". El Telégrafo (in Spanish). Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "We tested a new app that allows you to negotiate the cheapest fare from taxi drivers". Business Insider SA. April 15, 2019.